Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Changes in NY since Rudy has left office????? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/changes-in-ny-since-rudy-has-left-office-219732/)

nyer May 13th, 2002 05:14 AM

Changes in NY since Rudy has left office?????

Friends tell me that NY is changing for the worse since Rudy left office.<BR>Hookers are back in Times Square,people are jaywalking, spitting in the street, cleaning windshields again and begging on the street.<BR>I understand that the new mayor has not followed up on "quality of life" issues which Rudy Gulliani initiated and made the city a better place to live and visit.<BR>Any comments or opionions?

nyer May 13th, 2002 05:21 AM

Just a thought but there might be just a few things of more importance on the new mayors mind these days than squeegie men and jaywalkers. 8 months is not much time to be able to make "quality of life" changes in a city that had a HUGE quality of life disaster.

as May 13th, 2002 05:38 AM

I think quality of life issues in NY should be a very high priority for the new mayor. <BR>Without a good "quality of life" in the city it will be difficult to make a comeback after 9/ll IMO

steve May 13th, 2002 06:13 AM

Although Rudy came through big time on 9/11, most New Yorkers were tired of his divisive abusive political manner. The new mayor seems like a breath of fresh air. He doesn't personalize every attack, and he even lets groups express first amendment beliefs without having to resort to the courts! Imagine that. AS far as the specific things nyer mention, people have always jaywalked in NYC and even Rudy didn't crack down on that. I haven't seen any more beggars here recently than in the past few years. Overall, we were very grateful for the leadership Rudy showed on 9/11, wish him well, and are kind of relieved he's gone.

xxx May 13th, 2002 06:13 AM

I would agree that NYC has changed for the worse slightly in the manner described. I have noticed more of the "nonsense" which Giuliani got rid of. I can remember walking through the city with my girlfriend and several times one of us looking at something going on and saying "never when Giuliani was mayor".

xx May 13th, 2002 06:44 AM

Begging is the same as it always was<BR>Jaywalking was a problem under Rudy and is still a problem - no better no worse<BR>I drive in the city every day of the week and have not come across anyone cleaning windshields.<BR>Some people spit in the street under Rudy and the same people are still spitting in the street.<BR>I have been in Times Square four times in the past 2 weeks. I haven't noticed hookers plying their trade

NYC May 13th, 2002 07:02 AM

I hear it's almost as bad as San Jose already!

nyer May 13th, 2002 01:38 PM

topper

bacob May 13th, 2002 02:58 PM

I hope that the "quality of life" in New York continues as it has been in the last few years. It would be a shame after 9/11 to go backwards.

suzanne May 13th, 2002 03:32 PM

I've noticed in the past month that things have started going downhill...last week I encountered four sets of panhandlers in the subway, where I used to see one a week at the most. I also went to the movie theater in Times Square, where I go at least once a month, and there was a noticeable difference in the crowd...lots of loud urban youth, shady guys who looked like drug dealers, and beggars. (I really wouldn't be surprised if there was some prostitution going on.) My boyfriend and I turned to each other and gasped, "Wow-it's really going downhill here!"

RealNYer May 13th, 2002 04:04 PM

Yep-definitely signs of going downhill.<BR>Just 8 months after 2 planes crashed into the World Trade Center and thousands of people were killed, we are working,living,traveling,welcoming tourists,ball games are being played,the theaters are full,summer programs in the parks and Lincoln Center are scheduled, buildings are being built,while 2 are still being cleared away, plans are being made...life is going on and New York is just fine.The "quality of life" in New York City will just get better and better,come visit and see for yourself.

Julia May 13th, 2002 05:01 PM

The police do need to be more aggressive, especially with the recession/unemployment. Too many panhandlers & crazy people. <BR><BR>The West Village has gotten out of control. I can't leave my building at night without walking past a drug deal. It's very disconcerting. <BR><BR>And please save all the liberal whining unless you've walked in my shoes.

xxxxxxxx May 13th, 2002 05:04 PM

I've been to New York twice since 9/11: in November, for the Marathon, and for 3 days this past weekend. The changes I've noticed both times were in the cleanliness of the city, which has taken a severe downturn, with lots of garbage/trash in the streets and which I never noticed on visits in previous two years. I assume that this is due to increased expenditures for police/security and for recovery efforts at WTC; I don't think that these changes are necessarily tied to who's in charge, but more are fiscal/budget issues based on decisions about where the public money must be spent.<BR><BR>What I did notice on these past two visits is that New Yorkers continue to be friendly, helpful, gracious (at least 90% of the time.) Public transportation is excellent, culture is unequalled. Given the extent of the destruction, the recovery is truly remarkable, and a testimony to the fact that this city is, without question (at least IMHO) the capital of the world. Can't wait to go again! And yes, there are obnoxious thugs there, but no more than in any city, large or small, that I've ever visited or lived in. C'est la vie, metropolitan or not. ..

previousposter May 13th, 2002 05:07 PM

Sorry -- make that 'capitol' of the world!

john May 13th, 2002 05:18 PM

It seems to me money has to be spent to clean the streets,stop the panhandlers,<BR>deal with drug dealers etc. <BR>If NY becomes known as unsafe and dirty, tourist will stop coming-spending money, keeping the theatre going, restaurants in business, people working in the tourist industry----and where will that leave the city??? Hopefully the new mayor will deal with this asap.

zz May 13th, 2002 05:26 PM

Rudy did what every politician has done since the beginning of time - spend money while the treasury is flush and never put anything aside for a rainy day. Well, the rainy day has arrived and the new mayor has been saddled with a 5 billion dollar deficit. Security costs have mounted since 9/11 and obviously shouldn't be cut. If this results in less funds to guard against "quality of life" issus so be it. I, however, have not noticed any appreciable decline in the quality of life in the city

x May 13th, 2002 07:46 PM

I guess someone will have to decide which is more important,paying people to sweep the streets or pay the police to keep things a little more secure these days.<BR>I personally found Paris pretty dirty with papers flying around but never really let it bother me.I don't expect the biggest city in the world to be spic and span,especially after a huge terrorist attack.<BR>And since when did spitting in the street make it to the list of the Mayors problems to eliminate?

al May 13th, 2002 07:59 PM

New York is alive and well. Yeah, there's little things, but nothing to be alarmed about. Haven't seen a squeegie guy and haven't seen any hookers in Times Square (despite what Letterman has been saying). Jaywalking and spitting don't count.

mark May 13th, 2002 08:34 PM

We need Rudy to come to San Francisco! We could sure use his help here. He's an amazing guy who's talent shouldn't be put on the shelf. Mark

xxx May 14th, 2002 04:03 AM

Your mayor has been critized for not attending fireman's funerals and for never being around on the weekend.<BR>I think you folks have gotten a LAZY mayor.