Change of trains at Baltimore's Penn Station

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6th, 2005, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is anyone familiar enough with the Penn Station to know if 5 minutes is enough time to change trains? Originating at BWI, my plan is to head north on the MARC Penn Line to Perryville. Train no. 428 departs BWI at 4:45P and arrives Penn Station at 5:09; MARC Train 530 departs Penn Station for Perryville at 5:14--is this too close for comfort? I know there are direct trains to Perryville from BWI but they leave later. Any advice and / or suggestion is appreciated--thank you!
Old Nov 6th, 2005, 07:38 AM
Cassandra

It may be too close. Penn Sta Baltimore is small, with not a huge number of tracks, but you might still have to go up one set of stairs (or escalator) and down another -- esp. since things aren't all that well marked. If you're lucky, you might get a station worker down at the platform level to point you around to the right platform, but you're still assuming the incoming train will be on time.

In your situation, I'd do the calculation comparing arrival time in Perryville if you miss the connection and have to get a later one versus taking the direct train from BWI, then roll the dice.

Old Nov 7th, 2005, 04:39 AM
Original Poster

Cassandra, thanks for your input. I haven't been inside the Penn station since I attended college at Towson 20 years ago.
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 10:07 AM

I don't know the time difference between your flight arrival and the train, but you might wish to consider taking the light-rail from BWI to Penn Station. Looking at maps, it appears you must now change light rail trains at any stop between Lithicum and University/Mt Royal. Fare is $1.60 and the light rail station is right at the BWI Air terminal.

With enough time between your flight and train, you might be able to get to Penn before the MARC train would get you there.

http://www.mtamaryland.com/services/lightrail/
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

rb_t, thank you for the information! I didn't know light rail from the terminal was an option.