Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Change of plans. Now thinking of going to Burlington Vt for engagement.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27th, 2003, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I put an earlier post on about how I was going to North Conway in 3 weeks with my girlfriend and I was going to propose to her. After researching and looking this up, and even speaking to people that live in the area, it seems as if theres not much to do there (this time of year). I've had several suggestions to go to Burlington VT (which neither of us have ever been to). I have heard nothing but great things about Burlington. My girlfriend and I are both 24 years old and it sounds like there are tons of things to do on Church St. I'm still looking for a romantic spot/area to pop the question. I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.
Old Oct 27th, 2003, 11:55 AM
bm

Waterfront Park would be a nice place for a proposal, or Battery Park at sunset. Burlington is a fun city..the only full service hotel downtown is the Radisson from which you can walk to the above mentioned parks and Church Street as well. There are also a couple of Inn's in town-Willard Street Inn and the Lang House are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.
Other proposal ideas...propose on the ferry ride across Lake Champlain to NY. Celebrate on the way back. Take her to see a covered bridge..then propose inside. There is one off Spear Street in Charlotte and another off Prindle Road in Charlotte (20 or so minutes south of Burlington). Sit on a bench on the UVM green....any others with ideas?
Old Oct 27th, 2003, 11:56 AM
bm

Another idea...take her to see the Round Church in Richmond and propose there......
Old Oct 27th, 2003, 12:13 PM

I think that proposing while watching the sun set, on a on ferry or sigtseeing cruise trip across lovely Lake Champlain would be VERY romantic - on a warm day in the summer. I'm not sure that chattering out your proposal through blue lips on a cloudy, blistery day would have the same appeal, though you could sit inside at one of the rather uninspired tables. There are, however, numerous lakeside restaurants where you could pop the question, followed by a cuddly walk around the lakeshore path, if the weather isn't too brisk.

There are also other, numerous areas with beautiful water views and walks all around the Burlington/Shelbourne area, though I can't recall many of their names offhand. Button Bay is one. These areas might afford you more privacy, and there might still be some bird migration.
Old Oct 27th, 2003, 12:31 PM

Burlington Vt. is a very nice small city, enough to do for a few days. If you REALLY want romantic, consider Quebec City or even Montreal - it's almost like being in Europe!
Old Oct 27th, 2003, 01:04 PM
gc

I consider myself qualified to answer, as I've recently moved from the White Mountains to the Mad River Valley, just SE of Burlington.

Burlington is a really neat, funky college town, that feels bigger than it is. The view across the lake is breathtaking, and in Spring, Summer, Foliage season or winter, would fit the bill. But in 'tween season???? I don't know.

If you won't opt for Mt. Washington, go with Zootsi...Montreal or Quebec City are quite romantic. But if you're driving, and time is tight, I don't know.

Then there's Niagra Falls...
Old Oct 27th, 2003, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for everyones input on this. It has been very helpful. I'm gonna to check everything out online this week. I know it would be alot better in the summer, but there's nothing I can do about that. Let me know if anyone thinks of anything else.. Thanks again.
Old Oct 27th, 2003, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

Also, I am kind of pressed for time. I only have a weekend to do it so unfortunatly I wouldn't be able to do the Quebec city. Hopefully I'll get a nice weekend.
Old Oct 27th, 2003, 05:56 PM

You may want to consider Stowe, rather than Burlington. Stowe is a charming destination chock full of dining and nightlife of all sorts (though nightlife may be difficult to find "in a few weeks" before ski season gets underway...I'm not sure) and all kinds of accomodations. We love Burlington, but Stowe is much more "romantic".

Our favorite places to stay are the Gables Inn for the charming rooms (some with fireplaces) and best breakfast anywhere on the planet, and the Stowe Motel & Snowdrift for the very reasonably priced efficiencies with kitchens and woodburning fireplaces (you can really settle in in one of these rooms - especially after picking up "provisions" from the many shops along the way - wine, cheese, cashews/pistachios, chocolates...).

Anyway, one of the most romantic dining destinations in New England is the Cliff House atop Mount Mansfield. You ride the ski lift tram to get there. Panoramic views all about. Best is to ride up in daylight, watch the sun set during cocktails and dinner, then ride back down after dinner with the twinkling lights all about. As you would presume, it's on the pricey side, but worth it. Awesome food with excellent service. The Cliff House is operated by the Stowe Mountain Resort (they have a website). You'd want to phone and make sure they're open your dates.

Another positively romantic destination is the Sunset Hill House near Franconia, NH. The views from the rooms and, especially, the dining room (specifically at sunset) are magnificent. The cuisine is extraordinary. November should get you "shoulder season" rates... (see the website to check your dates)

Also in New Hampshire (previously mentioned) is the Mount Washington Hotel. You can stay more economically at their motor lodge across the road with full access to the main hotel and its facilities. "The Cave" is incredibly romantic (virtually a cave). Wonderful cocktail lounge with live music. You can stay ever more economically (downright cheap, but nice enough) at the Above-the-Notch motel less than 1/2 a mile away and still enjoy cocktails in The Cave, and dining/dancing in the ballroom at the Mount Washington (reservations essential for dinner).

If you feel like driving all the way to Montreal, we adore Hotel de la Montagne. Comfortable rooms, reasonable prices. (Walk-in shower large enough for two in the marble bathrooms, with two sinks, with terry robes.) Within (you needn't step outdoors during your stay) is a fabulous cocktail lounge with live music and a nice dance floor (think wedding band usually) - seating areas with comfy sofas, cocktail tables, gorgeously lit via vintage lamps. Upstairs is a lovely more formal "fin de siecle" dining room with fabulous food (moderately priced for this type of cuisine) and "formal" but not stiff service. On the back of the hotel is a lively Disco "Thursdays" and upstairs from that is Thursdays the more casual bistro. Extensive menu, reasonable prices, gorgeous (huge) dining areas. Weekend rates include brunch at Thursdays on Sunday which is extraordinary (not a buffet, but fruit plate, bread basket, order off the menu, huge variety of desserts or a plate of small servings of several). Unlike most hotels, the cable service here has dozens of TV stations (your favorite American ones included). And, room service is swift and not outrageously priced. Out the back of the hotel is Rue Crescent - chock full of lively Montreal Nightlife (including a Hard Rock even) all up and down the street.

If you're still undecided and in need of other recommendations e-mail me [email protected]