Change of Maui accomodations

Sep 24th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

Change of Maui accomodations

I'm currently spending a week at Kona. I've been booked ages for a week at Hale Kai O'Kihei in Kihei starting Sunday, Oct. 4 -- now they advise me that there is major reconstuction work to the building and there is a lot of drilling, pounding, and debris. Fun, huh? They offered me several other condos, none of which I like, or I can just get a full refund.

Meanwhile I'm starting to think after a week in a condo on the beach on Kauai, and week here on the beach in Kona (plus some other stays), maybe I should do something totally different. So before my three days in Hana, I'm thinking of something like the little quaint Old Lahaina House in Lahaina. I do want to go to Molokai, and maybe to Lanai also, so it would sure be convenient for that. Other thoughts? I'd also thought maybe four nights in Lahaina then two or three in the upcountry. I hate to spend over about $110 per night which is what I'm getting back. So I'm not looking for big resorts or high end places.

Other question. My three nights booked in Hana meant I'd be driving back the Hana highway after my last night there to catch my 1:30 plane back to the mainland. Should I see about moving that stay forward a day so I can drive the rest of the way around the island and spend a final night back nearer the airport? I'll have a full day to drive the Hana highway enroute to Hana.
Sep 24th, 2009, 02:43 PM

aloha Neo..
what a drag?
Did they not mention to you before that there would be major renovation going on?
I would strongly suggest that you move up your hotel in Hana so you can stay close to hotel near the airport in Maui for your 1:30 departure..
2 hours min and it was very crazy last week out of LIH to LAX..TSA was not messing around and they shut off luggage at 1.5 hour before flight out or your bags didn't make its destination.
There are some hotel/motels that are reasonable right near Maui airport under $100
Aloha and safe travels!
Sep 24th, 2009, 02:45 PM

How about the Plantation Inn in Lahaina?

http://www.theplantationinn.com/Main...Home_Page.aspx

Staying in Lahaina would be really convenient for trips to Molokai and Lanai. It's quite a long drive from Kihei. Will you be in Lahaina on a Friday night?
Sep 24th, 2009, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

No, there had never been any mention of reconstruction work at the condos. This came out of the blue. Apparently they called me at home in Florida (big deal, since I'm in Hawaii) two days ago to tell me about it. I only found out because I happened to email them yesterday to ask a couple basic questions and then they told me.

This may be a blessing in disquise, as I'm not sure I'd get that much out of another full week in a beachfront condo there, like I'm doing now in Kona and I did last week in Kauai. I guess I'm looking for something a little different.
Meanwhile, I've been a little disappointed with the heat and humidity and find that idea of living with the doors and windows open without the AC is a myth -- at least for me.

I did check and I can move the Hana stay forward a day with no problem, so I could drive the "circle" on around the island from Hana -- which sounds good.

The Plantation Inn is about $190 for a standard room with taxes, and doesn't really excite me anyway. Package deals make no sense for me, since I'm a single traveler and they usually include benefits for two, or a rental car and mine is already fully paid with Priceline.

This is what I've been looking at.
http://www.oldlahaina.com/index.html

Do you think it would be a mistake to spend all 6 nights (five days) in Lahaina -- then my 3 nights in Hana -- then 1 night near the airport (which makes dinner at Mama's an easy option)? Those two full day other island trips would come off that.

Yes, if I did all 6 nights, my last night in Lahaina would be on Friday. Why?
Sep 24th, 2009, 03:29 PM

Lahaina is centrally located to all and the hotel looks great and it has ac!
3 nights in Hana..6 nights in Lahaina..sounds great to me..you can walk to restaurants and it'll take 30-45 minutes to the airport which isn't bad.
You can catch the ferry to Lanai right out of Lahaina..if you want to go for the day.
Glad you can move your hotel forward in Hana.
I can't imagine going to the islands and not having ac..was humid the last days in Kauai when both of us were there and I couldn't imagine not going to my room and chill without ac..
Best to you!
Sep 24th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Original Poster

OK. How about the first 5 nights in Lahaina, then the 3 nights in Hana, then final 2 nights at the Old Wailuka Inn, which would also be good for the airport when I leave?

http://www.mauiinn.com/aloha.html (Old Wailuka Inn -- which has specials -- I think my room would be about $140 a night with full breakfast) A "Fodors choice".
Sep 24th, 2009, 04:17 PM

Friday night in Lahaina used to be Art Night, when most of the the galleries were open, had artists either working or just to talk to and many served refreshments. Maybe they don't do it any more.
Sep 24th, 2009, 04:18 PM

Who in their right mind would spend three nights in Hana!?

Glad you're having a good time.
Sep 24th, 2009, 04:21 PM

Forgot to mention...The Old Wailuku Inn is very quaint. Stayed there years ago. The area is not a tourist area really, but it would give you a more local feel.

How about staying at Mama's Fish House?

http://www.mamasfishhouse.com/
Sep 24th, 2009, 04:23 PM

I say, whatever makes you happy..looks like a cool place.
the back side of Wailuka to Kapalua is wild and way more scary fun then Hana..make sure you stop and see the famous Maui guy from the 50's at the fruit stand..he'll offer you a beer and he has the best fruit evah!
Sep 24th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Original Poster

iamq, no one in their RIGHT mind would spend three nights in Hana. That's why I'm taking your advice and doing it!!

For fun I just bid Lahaina-Kap. resorts on Priceline up to $102. Of course when you have to add $15 or $20 a day resort fee, plus up to $20 parking, and usually $10 to $15 for internet, it sure adds up quick. In any case I didn't get it --yet.

I'm a little turned off by the place I linked as they only have the room with two twin beds "regular length" with my feet sticking over the ends, and entrance is through the owner's quarters.

I'm now looking at a studio condo in Lahaina Shores Beach Resort.
Sep 24th, 2009, 08:52 PM

Have you looked at the Pioneer Inn? I think it's a Best Western. My son and his wife stayed there for a couple nights. They liked the location and the sense of history. More unique than Lahaina Shores.
Sep 25th, 2009, 07:08 AM

You might check this place out if you want something a little different:

http://www.vrbo.com/72022
Sep 25th, 2009, 08:29 AM

Hi Neo Patrick
We miss you over in the Lounge. Glad to hear you are busy with your travels!
Sep 25th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

The lounge? Who has time for that?

What a day. I sent off my check for full payment this morning for Lahaina Shores. I get back this afternoon to an email from the owner telling me he just discovered that repairs to the building which were to be completed are NOT, and that there will be major construction or repair going on and that the pool will be closed. He agreed to tear up my check when he receives it, and fully understood my not wanting to stay there. He couldn't have been nicer.

Barbara, you're a life saver. I had looked at Pioneer Inn and thought it looked fine and great as it's across the street from the harbor for my two boat trips -- and parking included! But I was finding $149 a day for a standard room plus tax and it seemed high for what it was. Now I found a special prepaid internet rate for $104 for a guaranteed Queen room with harbor view and balcony! Free parking, free internet. So I booked and am all set once again. Now if they call me and say they are undergoing construction, I may skip Maui altogether!!!

I've also confirmed the change of dates for my three nights at Hana Kai Maui Resort in Hana, and confirmed my room at Old Wailuku Inn for my final two nights. Phew.

Now I can go to bed tonight and not worry -- since I have to get up at 5:30 tomorrow morning to drive up to Hawi and do a four hour zipline tour!
Sep 25th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

OH, and if anyone is still listening, originally I was "too bad" that I wouldn't be in Hana on Friday or Saturday nights as I was arriving on Sunday. Now I'll be there on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday night. Without my searching, what am I supposed to do??? Something about a dinner, or someplace only open on Friday or Saturday?
Sep 25th, 2009, 07:01 PM

Hula and buffet at Hotel Hana Maui, as I recall from iamq. I'll miss it while I'm in Hana next month, so if you go, I'll look forward to your report! lol

Sep 25th, 2009, 11:58 PM

Hawi zipline? I can't wait to hear about it!
Sep 26th, 2009, 12:01 AM
Original Poster

Well, either I'll report about it tomorrow, or you can read about me in the newspapers.
Sep 26th, 2009, 08:09 AM

I think your new Maui lodging plan is ideal! I know someone who stayed at the Wailuku Inn and loved it. Great way to end your vacation.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO