Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Century 21 Dept store - NYC (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/century-21-dept-store-nyc-512468/)

kcapuani Mar 14th, 2005 04:08 PM

Century 21 Dept store - NYC

Sorry to start another Century 21 thread... But, can anyone give me examples of what purchases they've made? I'm trying to decide if it is worth it for me to go during my Memorial Day weekend trip to NYC. The only day I could fit it in is on Sun and I'm sure it will be mobbed. Plus, I never seem to have good luck finding bargains. The main reason I am looking to go is to buy children's clothes, purses and shoes. Will I find deals on these items? What designers?

enjoylife Mar 14th, 2005 05:23 PM

I have never found anything great there. I would recommend hitting one, two, or all three of the Filene's Basements in Manhattan. I always get great deals such as Jones of New York Suit for $30.00 and Ralph Lauren denim jacket for $25.00.

wantsomesun Mar 14th, 2005 07:00 PM

Century 21 to me is better for home things, cosmetics, linens. The place will be crowded on a Sunday, especially that weekend which is start of the big tourist season.

I'd try all the Daffy's around town and DSW and Filene's at Union Square on 14th St.

Have a great time while you are here.

syd1 Mar 15th, 2005 04:53 AM

Agree with the other two posters. Century 21 is just a zoo. If you're looking for deals on purses (nice ones) try Fine and Klein at
119 Orchard Street (212-674-6720). There are lots of other shops to peruse in the Lower East Side for clothing too, including Fishkin's Knitwear at
314 Grand Street. Loftworks in Soho is more trendy but has good deals as well. You can find a listing of sample sales at www.nysale.com so check a few weeks before your trip to see if there are any designers you like.
I'll have to think about Kids clothes and post after I ask around!

LoriNY Mar 15th, 2005 05:07 AM

Century 21 is an absolute zoo. I've never done well in the one in NYC, i go in and immediately get a headache. There is one on LI tho, and I do great on shoes and accessories such as gloves, scarfs, sunglasses, workout gear, etc. I also like their home stuff, but I never find anything in clothing, don't even bother anymore. Try Filenes Basement in Union Square, or Loehmanns for good clothing deals.

goldilox Mar 15th, 2005 05:35 AM

While I came out empty handed and annoyed when I was there last spring, one of my favorite purchases came from Century 21 a few years ago.

I picked up a beautiful Ralph Lauren blazer for $99. When I called home I raved about how soft it was... My mother said "Is it cashmere?" I hadn't even thought to look at the content label... and sure enough it was.

I still have that piece.

suzanne Mar 15th, 2005 09:08 AM

I feel the same as most others here. Even though I live in walking distance of Century 21 I rarely go in anymore, because it's so crowded. Plus you really have to dig to find anything worthwhile. The dressing rooms have long lines, no doors, and only allow 2-3 items, then you have to get back in line if you want to try on more! I have seen cute shoes there but never found a place to sit to try them on.

On the other hand, the bags/purses department on the main floor sometimes has some interesting stuff, and I have bought luggage and linen (Ralph Lauren) there several times. The home furnishings department downstairs has some very good deals and is less crowded than other floors.

If you go to C21, go as soon as it opens in the morning.

I also MUCH prefer Filene's Basement for clothing (I go to the one on 6th Ave/19th St). Upstairs from FB there is a TJMaxx which surprisingly has a TON of great purses - about 10 aisles all arranged by color. Great deals.

suzanne Mar 15th, 2005 09:10 AM

Oops - I just noticed you wrote "CHILDREN'S clothing". I don't know what this department is like in C21 (less crowded than ladies', I'm sure), and I don't think Filene's has a kids' department.

wantsomesun Mar 15th, 2005 09:18 AM

I know other posters are going to raze me on this, but Conway is great for kids cloths and teen clothing as well. I also get alot of summer shorts, jeans and tee shirts there for myself. The prices are good and the quality is also pretty good. Conway is a discount store in the Herald Square area, on 35th and Broadway. There are also a couple more locations on 34th and 7th and 34th and 8th.

Also Bolton's has some decent stuff and the prices are usually pretty good.

For kids and teen clothes, try Strawberry, there are also several locations around the city.

kalunchi Mar 15th, 2005 09:18 AM

I would skip century21 and maybe head to a tjmaxx outside of the NYC metro area. how about woodbury commons? I have a friend who shopped their and bought a down coat (really cute) for her 2 yr old daughter for $20.

michelleNYC Mar 15th, 2005 09:36 AM

I've always done really well at C21 with high-end designer clothing. I've never shopped there for shoes or bags. Examples of designers I've purchased there: Chloe, Balenciaga, Dolce & Gabbana, Jil Sander and Gaultier.

awbaker Mar 15th, 2005 10:02 AM

I go to C21 maybe 2 times a year, but I only venture into the children's, shoe and lingerie department. I just can't deal with the crowds anymore either in the other departments.

The children's department is good (I usually just buy boys clothing, though.) They often have Petite Bateau pj's in all sizes so I stock up on these. I also can usually get Ralph Lauren and Tommy Hilfiger at great prices, too. They also have a couple of racks of european designers, but I've never seen anything which I would like on a child. I also buy Elephanten shoes for the boys at C21, but children's shoes
are in the basement of the shoe department.

I think the lingerie department is still wonderful, and never is too crowded. And shoes can be a hit or miss.

lisettemac Mar 15th, 2005 10:09 AM

I like Century 21 for the shoes, handbags and toiletries. I don't particularly like shopping for women's clothes there because it is too much digging through junk to get the one gem.

Don't know much about the children's section. I have heard there are good children's clothes at H&M, which has several Manhattan locations.

kcapuani Mar 15th, 2005 12:07 PM

Thanks everyone - I guess if I am in the area then I will try my luck in the children's dept and handbags area. I won't bother looking for clothes for myself (after I had my daughter, I pretty much stopped buying new clothes for me anyways!) But, I do love Petite Bateau and Jacadi if I can find them at a discount.

I remember going in H&M when I was last in NYC and thinking I was way too old to wear anything! But, maybe I could find cute stuff for my daughter... I forgot about Filene's Basement too. There isn't one near me but I'll be in DC this weekend and can check it out.

awbaker Mar 15th, 2005 12:29 PM

kcapuani -- H&M really does have great kid's clothes. And they have held up well for my boys. I find that the clothes run big for my boys (who are actually tall!) in the 2-4 ages, but my neighbor says they run small for her girls who are 6-8 y.o.

GoTravel Mar 16th, 2005 07:57 AM

I'm with michelle, I purchase higher end designers at Century 21. It isn't cheap but less expensive designer goods.

They did have Seven jeans at Century 21 last time I was there for $50.

You cannot expect to go there and find a Chanel jacket for $20. More like $400.

If you go Memorial Weekend, I suggest either right when they open on Sunday (11AM) or that evening.

H&M is just as crowded as Century 21.

GoTravel Mar 17th, 2005 06:04 AM

If you want a good idea of Century 21's prices, go to www.BlueFly.com.

michelleNYC Mar 17th, 2005 08:14 AM

GoT: You've found Chanel at C21?!?!?! Wow... I'm impressed.

GoTravel Mar 17th, 2005 08:38 AM

No, I have not found Chanel at Century 21. I was making a point about the prices. While not as expensive as full retail, it isn't cheap.

MFNYC Mar 17th, 2005 08:54 AM

C21 opens early (7:30ish), that's the best time to go.

The lingerie and kids cloths are very good. My daughter finds some good deals on the designer cloths on the 3rd floor, not the very high end stuff, but the more mid-range designers.