Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Central Park Rentals -has anybody dealt with them?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2007, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are considering this apartment for a week in NYC at the end of September. Has anybody ever stayed there or dealt with this company. It's a great location and price, but hate giving non-refundable deposits and a blank credit card for a security deposit to someone without a referral. Your help is appreciated.

http://centralpark-rentals.com/index.htm
Old Jun 26th, 2007, 05:57 PM

Ask your contact at the company for 3 referrals .. and call them.

NYC is full of real estate scams -- don't be another "sucker."
Old Jun 26th, 2007, 06:00 PM

Also contact the NY Better Business Bureau regarding complaints.
Old Jun 26th, 2007, 07:10 PM

Frankly, I wouldn't do this. But I also wouldn't use Craigslist to find a cheap place to stay and many people on this board have done so successfully. The difficulty is that late September is a very busy time in NYC, and you will likely not find anything decent if you can't deal wiht this place or if it doesn't work out for some reason. It's not THAT cheap. You can usually get a real hotel room for that much if you go through Priceline.
Old Jun 26th, 2007, 08:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, I have already emailed them for references. I will call the BBB also. We have looked at hotels, but the rates are horrendous for that time. I've done a lot of Priceline bidding, but a week in NYC is difficult and I don't wait to wait till the last minute.

I'm also using NYHabitats (I've read positive reviews of them on other sites), but they have not been able to find us anything we like that is available for those dates as of yet.

I'll keep you posted!
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 05:42 AM

There are dozens and dozens of rental agencies that have many more than 3 apts. In addition to nyhabitat.com try
furnishedquarters.com
citylightsnewyork.com

You might also contact www.apartments2book.com in London (regardless of where you live). They have contracts with many of the apt/hotels in Manhattan and may have inventory (and better prices) than the hotels themselves.
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Mclaurie! Furnished quarters appears to monthly rentals only, but I'm checking out the others. Appreciate the help!
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 09:58 AM

I have several issues with this web site:

First- the Terms and Conditions page is missing - so you don;t know what you're agreeing to.

Second - there is no address listed for the business and the phone number looks like it might be a cell phone. Also - the email address seems to be personal, rather than a business.

I would contact your credit card company and ask them if the compay renting the apartment is one of their legitimate merchants (I bet they're not - and using some blind business to do this).

Way too little info and way too many questions.

Ther are legitimate companies that do this - if you search below - that have been in business for years, have addresses and can be contacted.
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

Well you guys are going to love this....... I contacted City Lights (and the London Co) as suggested. You know what property they offered me??? You guessed it.. Central Park Townhouse. The very same apt I was looking at originally, but for $45 more.

Hmmm--- I can go directly through the owner for less, or use the broker... or try something else altogether. The world gets smaller every day!
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 03:08 AM

Both cos. offered that same apt? Hard to believe. And nothing else?
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 03:37 AM

Just a quick question, what is your budget for this trip, and we may be able to give you better help in finding something.
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

City Lights is a broker for many other apts in NYC. Central Park is just one of them. I have actually gotten references and spoke to the agent personally. Waiting to hear back from the references.

Our budget is low(probably too low). We are attempting to keep it at $1500 for the week (last week of Sept). This is a very busy week and many places in that price range are booked. All suggestions are welcome! We have scoured the internet for possibilities.

Thanks for your help,
Deb

PS-- never heard back from the British company that mclaurie suggested.
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 04:19 AM

Interested to hear how this is going. Have you looked at vrbo.com at all?
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

Mclaurie,

I have scoured VRBO many times and written to several of them. Most are booked for our week or else just weren't suitable due to the location or walking up many flights of stairs or other factors.

But I'm curious to know how you think that dealing with individuals on VRBO is any safer than dealing with a property manager?

I have heard from the British company (apartments2book) and they offered us 75th and Broadway (Beacon Hotel) so we're considering that.

If you can think of anything else, I'm open to suggestions.
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Just wanted to mention the further developments about this....

I did receive an email reply from the referral contact finally. She had mentioned that it all worked out fine for her and that her group had rented 2 apartments with good success. Apartments were clean and just as pictured and they got their security deposits back with no problems. She also mentioned that she had had a previous problem with a fraudulent apartment and was leary of dealing with this company as well. Without giving details of this particular person, I do believe it to have been an honest referral.

Anyhoooo.... we ended up finding and securing an apartment with NYHabitats that meets all of our needs budget and location wise. We now have to deal directly with the owner of the apartment for further details so hopefully it will all work out. It's at 50th and 8th Ave, so now I'm ready for all those wonderful restaurant suggestions!

Thanks for your help.

Deb