Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > central Connecticut restaurants sights etc
Notices

central Connecticut restaurants sights etc

Oct 19th, 2006, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

central Connecticut restaurants sights etc

I'm meeting some friends at the Hillstead museum in Farmington Connecticut. Any ideas for a good lunch place nearby, or a casual dinner place (I'm not sure of our timing yet). I've heard of Apricots, but reviews online seem to say the place has bad service and the food isn't that great either.
Anything else we should see in the area? What are some good roads to drive for fall foliage viwing?
Oct 19th, 2006, 01:38 PM

My fave restaurant in Farmington is The Grist Mill - 3 stars in the NY Times, which is quite good for the area. Great location overlooking the river - not cheap, but they have a new casual bar/pub in addition to a formal dining room. Also in Farmington is Piccolo Arrancio (sp?), good Italian, more casual at lunchtime. Agree that Apricots is hit-or-miss.

Lots of good restaurants in West Hartford Center about 5 miles away - Max's Oyster Bar, Bricco (Italian), Elbow Room (American), Arugula (various), and a Thai place I can't think of the name of, to name a few.

The Hillstead is awesome.
Oct 19th, 2006, 01:43 PM

If it's a nice day you can walk the trail up to the Heublein tower in Simsbury (short hike, 1.5 miles round trip, but steep in places). At the top you can see for miles and the foliage looks amazing from up there. The tower was the summer home of the Heublein family (the beverage empire) and is quite an architectural wonder. Another nice walk in the area is at Sessions Woods in Burlington, which also has a great view from a fire tower. This is a longer walk, but easier since it's a gravel road, hilly in some sections.

If you would prefer to drive to see foliage, I'd recommend going out route 4 to Burlington and on to the Litchfield area and back.
Oct 19th, 2006, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, stellablue. I'll look into your suggestions.

Any other ideas?

Search this Thread