central coast of california - where to stay

Jun 12th, 2011, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

central coast of california - where to stay

Am planning a trip to the central coast area of California, flying into SF. We would like to spend 3 or 4 days in Carmel/Monteray/Pacific Grove (any recommendations as to accommodations/does it matter which town we stay in?) and then drive back to SF for 2 or possibly 3 nights. We are wondering if it would be too ambitious to fly into SF, arriving before noon, drive to Yosemite, spend two nights there, then head to the central coast for 3 or possibly 4 nights, and back to SF for at least 2, possibly 3 nights.

We plan to go at he end of October for 7-10 days.

We've been to SF and absolutely love it. The central coast sounds like an area that we would really enjoy between the scenery, wineries, food, etc.

I've always wanted to see Yosemite, so if possible...

Any and all suggestions are appreciated, as always!
Jun 12th, 2011, 04:59 PM

"We are wondering if it would be too ambitious to fly into SF, arriving before noon, drive to Yosemite, spend two nights there, then head to the central coast for 3 or possibly 4 nights, and back to SF for at least 2, possibly 3 nights"

That is absolutely/totally doable. But your number 1 priority is to get your accommodations booked in Yosemite Valley. Then arrange the rest of the itinerary around that.
Jun 12th, 2011, 05:09 PM

Your circle route is doable and a great idea. You definitely don't want to miss Yosemite. It's awesome. Before I recommend where to stay on the central coast, I need to know your price range.
Jun 14th, 2011, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

Bob, I always want to stay someplace that is located in a good area and CLEAN. The less I spend on accommodations, the more I can spend on other things, but I always want to come back at night to someplace clean and comfortable. We definitely aren't talking Motel 6, but, if possible, $200-$250 a night. I'm also looking at VRBO and see some real possibilities in that price range. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Jun 14th, 2011, 05:09 PM

I just posted information in a thread about an on-line discount which I just received via e-mail from Pacifica hotels. There are some hotels in Pismo Beach, Cambria, and one at Half Moon Bay. It is a decent Best Western group.
Jun 14th, 2011, 06:29 PM

Here is the thread PeaceOut posted . . .

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...ll-june-16.cfm
Jun 14th, 2011, 07:24 PM

Thanks, janisj.
Jun 15th, 2011, 05:05 AM

I would recommend: the Monterey Plaza Hotel, the Portola Hotel, or the Intercontinental Clement. Try to get a room with an ocean or bay view. Ask what discounts or promotions you might qualify for.
Jun 15th, 2011, 11:55 AM

I like the Portola Hotel a lot - great location, nice rooms, and decent prices. We recently stayed at Casa Munras, which was pretty good. The location isn't as good as the Portola and others that are mentioned, but it is not bad if you like to walk.
Jun 18th, 2011, 06:12 PM
Original Poster

The part of the trip I need some guidance on is the SF to Yosemite portion. If we arrive in SF around noon time, we'll drive to Yosemite, hopefully arriving late afternoon and stay two nights before heading to the Monterey Peninsula.

Should we stay in the park? I was looking at a B & B that is 12 miles from the southwest entrance to the park. Would this be a good choice?

I believe there is a shuttle bus that takes you to the 'must see areas of the park? Once I get the Yosemite portion planned, the rest will fall into place.

Thanks for all help!
Jun 18th, 2011, 06:30 PM

"12 miles from the southwest entrance to the park. Would this be a good choice?"

Not really. 12 miles from the park gates is not 12 miles from Yosemite Valley. That entrance is a looong drive from the Valley. If the B&B is in/near Oakhurst -- the drive can take up to 2 hours. It is nearly 50 miles and even IF there is no traffic the drive is more then 90 minutes.

The best place to stay in IN the Valley. 2nd best places are motels in El Portal, or vacation rentals in Yosemite West.
Jun 19th, 2011, 10:38 AM

I agree with Janis. By far, it is better to stay in Yosemite Valley than anywhere else. The Yosemite Lodge has the best rooms for a reasonable price but gets booked uo months in advance. Ahwanee Hotel has smaller older rooms but is a spectacular historic building in a gorgeous setting. El Portal motels would be my third choice.
Jun 19th, 2011, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

Ok, just bear with my ignorance please. If I stay in Yosemite Valley, is that IN Yosemite Park, or is that an area near the park? Ahwanee is a bit out of my budget at $400+ a night, but YL is doable. How far is El Portal or Yosemite West from where I would want to be.

Thanks so much for the heads up on "12 miles from the s/w entrance...etc. That would have been a major bad, and uninformed, choice.

Once leaving the park and heading to the MP, what type should I expect?

Also, what type of weather is probable at the end of October in Yosemite?

Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge...
Jun 19th, 2011, 05:52 PM

the Valley is within the park, but not too close to the entrances. That's why it is recommended to stay in the valley, if possible..
Jun 19th, 2011, 06:05 PM

Yosemite Valley is the bit you've seen all the photos of . . Yosemite Falls, Half Dome, El Capitan, etc. THAT is Yosemite Valley. The valley is a small section inside the park and the whole park is ENORMOUS - nearly 1200 square miles.

El Portal is a very small place just outside the west entrance of the park w/ motel rooms. About 15 miles/30-40 minutes from the Valley floor. Yosemite West is an area of private vacation rental homes just inside the park boundaries. Also about 15+ miles from the Valley -- 35-40 minutes.

Yosemite Lodge is in the middle of Yosemite Valley - so by far the best place to stay if you can get rooms.

End of October will be wonderful -- though there won't be any waterfalls to speak of. Fall color, brisk temps -- or possibly a warm Indian Summer. Could be snow flurries in the higher elevations/back country.
Jun 20th, 2011, 06:54 AM

End of oct. Is a good time to visit Yosemite especially since all the summer crowds will be gone by then. For that time of year in CA, dress in layers. Some days you might need just a tee shirt and some days a heavy jacket. Oct weather varies in CA from very warm to very cool. Yosemite and MP are beautiful no matter what the weather.