Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   cell phones in Hawaii (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/cell-phones-in-hawaii-174237/)

candy Jan 18th, 2003 08:07 AM

cell phones in Hawaii

If I have a "national" cell phone plan on the mainland, will my cell phone "work" in Hawaii, or am I paying long distance and roaming fees? (I'm a veriozon customer). Also, are there areas of Hawaii where the cell phones don't work?

liz Jan 18th, 2003 11:59 AM

Hello,<BR>I also have verizon, I called to my dd every day last year. No roamin, ldist charges with my plan.<BR>have fun

cindy Jan 18th, 2003 01:27 PM

I've stayed at b&amp;b's a lot, and they often don't have phones that are accessible to guests, or if they are, you don't want to tie them up so other people can't use them, and they may be in an area where you might be disturbing somebody by parking yourself on the phone. My cel phone has been very useful for travelling, for exactly that reason. Often there's a time difference between my vacation destination and home, and if I want to reach my family I have to call at odd times. I think it's quite legitimate to take a cel phone with you on vacation.

been there Jan 18th, 2003 02:06 PM

There are some very good reasons why some B&amp;B don't have public phones or TV's and a lot of people chose such destiantions based on reasons. To those of you who don't understand, I suggest staying in Waikiki, I hear they have a lot of phones there.

Glenn Jan 20th, 2003 09:14 AM

Candy,<BR>I have had good luck with cell phone use on Maui and Oahu, but not on the Big Island. <BR>Good luck!<BR><BR>

Patsy Jan 20th, 2003 11:36 AM

Just back from Hawaii - we have Verizon America's Choice and we had service on Kauai, Maui and the Big Island. The only time we did not have service was when we were on some mountaintop roads, in some valleys...just like at home.<BR><BR>We took our phones because it's cheaper than paying the hotel surcharge on phone calls (including local), because we have a business we needed to check on, and because a family member was expecting a baby and we needed to stay in touch.<BR><BR>

Patsy Jan 20th, 2003 08:27 PM

forgot to mention that the Verizon America's Choice allowed us to call anywhere with no long distance or roaming. Definitely a plus. <BR>

Jessee Jan 21st, 2003 12:12 PM

I just changed my plan to &quot;national&quot; because they told me I should be able to call home anytime from Hawaii, as long as my triangle on my phone is blinking, if it is not moving they said I would be charged roaming fees. Just give them a call and they can check for you real quick. Yes, and don't forget about the possible 3 to 4 hour time difference. Have a great time!!!!

helen Jan 21st, 2003 02:00 PM

You generally won't have any problem on Oahu or Maui. The exceptions are parts of the north shore on Oahu and the Hana loop on Maui. Service on the BI and Kauai is more spotty.

Richard Jan 21st, 2003 02:38 PM

Jst got back from Oahu this week, cell phone (Cingular) will only roam there. Cingular said it would be .65 per min.<BR><BR>Otherwise the signal especially in Waikiki was as clear as could be.<BR><BR>