Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   celebrities (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/celebrities-241370/)

ned Jul 19th, 2002 01:38 PM

celebrities

where is a good place to spot celebrities in nyc, without having to pay enormous restaurant bills? we'll be in nyc next month.

know Jul 19th, 2002 01:39 PM

Outside of a high-priced restaurant.

Carla Jul 19th, 2002 01:55 PM

Many can be found doing the perp walk at 1 police plaza. Other than that try the lobby of the Plaza or the Waldorf.

xxxx Jul 19th, 2002 05:16 PM

Outside the Letterman Show entrance - stand out there and wait for the celebrities to arrive or leave.

xxx Jul 19th, 2002 05:31 PM

So what is the infatuation with celebrities all about? Is your self-worth so low that being in the same room with a famous person will affirm your existence? or do you hope that seeing someone famous will somehow make you famous?

goodasanyone Jul 19th, 2002 06:10 PM

I must agree with xxx's post--what in the world is wrong that people will wait for hours to spot a "celebrity" who could care less about you?<BR>I have a co-worker whose boyfriend recently spotted a "celeb" in a local eatery. According to her--"he was just sitting there, eating , like everyone else"--how would a celeb. eat? Through his ears? Why wouldn't he eat like everyone else? I don't get it. Everyone is just as important as anyone else, whether they be a janitor, Dr. or a "celeb".

Jake Jarmel Jul 19th, 2002 06:26 PM

You won't spot a celeb around Letterman -- they use a side entrance and rush in from a car. <BR><BR>Similarly, you won't spot a celeb in the Plaza or Waldorf. <BR><BR>Your best bet is on Madison Avenue during a weekday, early, when the celebrities tend to shop. <BR><BR>Today I saw George Hamilton in the Ralph Lauren section of Saks buying about $5,000 worth of Fall clothes. No kidding. He looked great. <BR><BR>

NYC Dave Jul 19th, 2002 06:29 PM

I hate to pile on, but I, too, am quite annoyed by this post.<BR><BR>Why would someone's life be better for having spotted a celeb?<BR><BR>Celebs don't want people with that kind of attitude spotting them because it's those kind of people that make their lives publically unliveable.<BR>I actually feel sorry for them.<BR><BR>When I see celebs in public and people point and bother them I just want to go swat them away and tell them to have some respect.<BR><BR>Celebs aren't ZOO ANIMALS for crying out loud!

tim Jul 19th, 2002 06:38 PM

The whole purpose of spotting celebrities is so you can tell all your friends about it and become known as the person who saw George Hamilton in Sak's (and he looked maaahvelous), thus becoming a celebrity yourself.

xxx Jul 20th, 2002 04:59 AM

get a life

Suzy Jul 20th, 2002 05:07 AM

I guess NY doesn't have anyplace that's the equivalent of Rodeo Drive, where celebrities go specifically in ORDER to be seen and gawked at!

xxxx Jul 20th, 2002 05:29 AM

TRUE STORY: I remembered a Saturday afternoon, I was walking down Fifth Ave. with friends (we live about 2 hours away fronm NYC), and noticed a bit of conmotion in a corner: Naomi Campbell was out in a photo shoot and there was quite a bit of people watching. I stood there, and who was also watching but Dyan Cannon! People were recognizing her as well. We got walking again and who walks by us and gave us a big smile when we recognized him? Dan Ackroyd! <BR><BR>As a teenager I ran into, literally, Liza Minelli. I crossed a busy NYC street looking the other way and smacked into her. She smiled and continued on. My sister was more excited than I was.

suzanne Jul 20th, 2002 05:57 AM

<BR>If you go to Elaine's on the Upper East Side (a bar/restaurant) chances are you'll see one. It's known to be a celebrity hangout. Just hang out at the bar. It's a small place; you can see the whole restaurant from the bar area.<BR><BR>Personally, I've seen celebs in unlikely places in NY...at the movies, in a diner, in casual bars, walking down the street, in a pizzeria. They are all over the place. <BR><BR>I don't understand the infatuation, either. They are not gods! I cringe when I see someone go up to a celeb while they are eating dinner to ask for an autograph. The poor bastards can't get any privacy.

dan Jul 22nd, 2002 08:31 AM

for those of you who think because a person would like to spot a celebrity, they have no life, the same could be said of those who sit at the computer and answer posts that "annoy them". surely you have something better to do with YOUR time. spotting a celebrity so you can tell your friends about it, is no different then saying "i walked across the brooklyn bridge when i visited n.y." (it's just a bridge). so all you negative posters, lighten up, get up from your computers and enjoy life a little. it's the little things that count.

Merilee Jul 22nd, 2002 08:38 AM

My sister belongs to the health club at Chelsea Pier and she has seen a few working out there.

sjp Jul 22nd, 2002 09:08 AM

I'm a celeb and I don't appreciate being stalked. Acting is just a job for me so I don't understand why strangers feel the need to invade my privacy. I appreciate it when I get feedbacks from my acting but I don't like being followed. Please, give me my space!

xxxxx Jul 22nd, 2002 09:19 AM

Whomever replied that you will not spot celebrities in The Plaza Hotel is wrong. I have spotted many.

al Jul 22nd, 2002 09:30 AM

Seeing celebrities is a hit or miss thing. Sure you can hang around outside Letterman or Saturday Night Live if you want to catch a glimpse of a "famous star", but you'd be amazed at how many celebs you can see by just walking the street and observing. 57th Street is always good. So are Park, Madison & 5th Avenues.<BR><BR>By the way, I too saw George Hamilton last Friday, coming out of the theatre where Chicago is playing and walking across the street to The Producers. Nice tan. Loafers with no socks. Old.

a Jul 22nd, 2002 10:16 AM

Many 'celebrities' leave very 'normal' lives. They can be spotted picking their children up from school, shopping at a local farmer's market, hailing a taxi, etc. I live in NYC. I am not a good spotter, some people seem to spot famous people all the time. It's not all that exciting.

a Jul 22nd, 2002 10:17 AM

sorry for careless typing, my prior post should read "lead very normal lives", not "leave".