Celebrating life with kids in Kauai and Maui

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2007, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are a family of 5. Ma, pa, and 3 beautiful sons...9, 9 & 7. Can you help us find some awesome places to stay and play and enjoy being a family?
We are planning for 12 days in Kauai and Maui.
We are going July 5-17,2007.
What we are looking for:
The IDEAL situation would be a condo right on the beach that is secluded and bonus if there is a pool or hottub.

It is more important for us to have a quiet, sandy beach, than to be populated with shopping, activities or restaurants.
The activities we want to do is hang together as a family, snorkel, swim, boogie board, play in the sand. We don't need much more.

We are pinching corners every chance we can as this is a HUGE deal for us to go. We have a max budget of $200 a night. Less than that is great.
A nice condo/house is probably best suited for us. A resort would be fine too, but to get 5 in a room just isn't worth the brain damage or expense and we don't need the amenities.

We are going into Kauai first, then Maui. We are flexible with our dates and time we spend on each, but probably a 7/5 or 6/6 mix.

I've been reading reviews like crazy and am now overwhelmed. I've checked vrbo, but I don't know which area/town to even start in. All the names seem the same to me so I am getting confused.

Which area on Kauai will provide us with the best weather and secluded, sandy/usable beach? Is there a favorite condo someone has there?

Which area on Mauai will provide us with the best weather and secluded sandy/usable beach? Is there a favorite place some has there?

It would be a bonus to have a swimming pool as I know while we are there, jelly fish are suppose to be bad...7-10 days after a full moon which is on June 30, 2007. So for those days, I know the kids would love to play in a pool/hike/travel etc.

We have considered a week in a condo in Kauai and then in Maui, go to a condo and perhaps splurge on a resort with a 'killer' pool for 1 night.

Please help us with any areas you'd recommend, places you'd recommend and any deals you know of. It is appreciated, more than I can express.
Gratefully,
Clingerandus
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 11:08 AM

Poipu on Kauai is one of the best beaches in Hawaii. You can snorkel right off shore. Don't be surprised to see monk seals sunning themselves on the beach or sand bar. Poipu is a public beach with ample parking, but it is not normally crowded. We went there several times on our last trip and didn't feel crowded nor was it noisy.

On Maui, west Maui (Lahaina, north through Kapalua) has the sunniest weather.
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 11:10 AM
Ag3046

www.vrbo.com
The July 4th holiday week is a peak season for Hawaii. I seriously doubt you will find a 2 br condo right on the beach for your budget of $200 a night.
In Maui, Kihei has the cheapest condos.

Old Jan 24th, 2007, 11:33 AM

Haven't been to Hawaii, just admire your subject line "celebrating life". This is great!
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 02:04 PM

In Maui, try Napili Sunset. www.napilisunset.com
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 02:29 PM
sistahlou

search, search, search.

I think Hanalei is the perfect area, nice people, sunsets talking story with the locals at the pier. Or you could split the difference between Poipu and northshore.

You will save a lot of $$ on airfair and car rental rates hanging at just one island. Car rates tend to drop after the 7 day mark.

Anini Beach also has a nice family atmosphere, I hear.

Of course if you have you heart set on both islands...well go for it! They are both gorgeous and have much to offer in terms of celebrating life!!!!

Old Jan 24th, 2007, 04:46 PM

On Kauai - Hanalei all the way! You could get a two bedroom cottage a short walk to the beach in your price range.

Check out a google map of Hanalei. Use 5037 Weke Road as the address to bring up a map. Anything on the ocean side of the main highway would work nicely as you would be within walking distance of the most gorgeous bay in the world and walking distance to town. There are lots of rentals on both sides of Weke Road. Look at anini aloha real estate, na pali properties, bali hai realty, and kauai vacation rentals for a start.

The Hanalei Colony Resort up in Haena is more $$, but it would satisfy most of your requirements as there is a pool and they are condos. More country than the big city of Hanalei!

Napili is a good suggestion for Maui. Cute little bay. There are several smaller condo complexes there.

You will have a great time. All the planning will be soooooooo worth it.

-Bill
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 12:23 AM

On average, south Maui is much drier than west Maui. There are numerous budget/mid level condominiums in Kihei (south) and above Ka`anapali (west). Seclusion may be difficult in July, though you may find it at Hamoa Beach, Hana if you time it right. Most people drive through town, oblivious. Your children may also enjoy the black sand beach, blow holes and lava tubes at Waianapanapa state park, just before Hana on the Road.

In July, the weather for Kauai may be better up north towards Hanalei, Princeville. Should not be bad anywhere for long. Do see the Waimea Canyon, Polihale (often secluded [unswimmable] beach in the west) and the Napali (cliffs).

Have a great trip.

Old Jan 25th, 2007, 05:20 AM

The place you're describing on Maui is Napili Bay. Not exactly secluded, but it's a great small beach not overly populated in an area that feels more like a neighborhood than busy Kihei. Lots of trees. I also like the Kahana area nearby. See what's available at www.vrbo.com
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 11:54 PM
Original Poster

Great suggestions everyone. We are narrowing down the search to Hanalei Bay area. However, most of the rentals seem to be more on cliffs and then a 'decent' walk to the beach. Dragging stuff for the kids to the beach isn't bad if it is relatively close..say several hundred yards. Going through the Princeville complex or down steep areas just to get to the beach isn't appealing. Are any of these areas closer to the beach...where we can easily go in and out all day?

No one has mentioned the east side of the island. Some of the complex's look right on the beach there with the sand looking friendly for feet and toes. What is wrong or right with that side of the island.

We've price Poipu area and the south area and it seems doable but much busier that the north side. Is that really true?
Thanks for your help!
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 01:23 AM

There are pretty beaches on the east side of Kaua`i. Most are not suitable for swimming. Polihale, in the west, also suffers very dangerous swimming conditions. It's still worth the trek to view.

On Maui: I agree Napili in the west is a gorgeous bay. However, you'd be hard pressed to fit another complex-or person- on that stretch without a shoehorn.
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 07:26 AM

It sounds like you are getting confused between Princeville and Hanalei. You are right, the condos in Princeville are on the cliffs above the edge of Hanalei Bay. This is not Hanalei however.

The town of Hanalei is about a 10 minute drive north/west of Princeville. Hanalei is not on the cliffs. If you rent something along Weke Road you will be a very short, flat walk to the the beach at Hanalei Bay.

Here is a link to a map of Hanalei Bay and some specific links to homes in the area that I am talking about. As I said, anything along Weke Road would be great. We are renting a place on Aku Road this summer. Two years ago we stayed across the beach at a home on Weke Road.

http://www.google.com/maps?q=5037+We...i=map&ct=title

http://tinyurl.com/yoqxo5

http://tinyurl.com/2eb25e

http://tinyurl.com/yw6csy

If you really want to stay in Hanalei, search for places IN Hanalei. It can get confusing.

-Bill

Old Jan 27th, 2007, 07:51 AM

WE have four kids and stayed in unit 220 at the Hale Kai in Maui. www.halekai.com.

It was perfect for us. There was a room w/ a king bed. Loft w/ a double or queen & a bathroom. room w/ 2 twin beds. A kitchen. bathroom on the main level. No extra charge for parking. Very clean pool. Use of a gas grill and right next to a park which had a very safe beach area. The unit did not have AC but we were fine because of cross breezes (we went in June).

I believe that there are some one bedroom units + loft that might accomodate your family. We have four kids and took my mom so we needed a lot of space.
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 10:51 AM
sistahlou

Gosh dang it Bill. I'm not back 2 weeks and you have me Jonesing for Hanalei! Great advice. But cingerandus, you must remember to tell everyone you hated Hanalei, lest it get overrun by tourists that truly ddon't appreciate its beauty.

Old Jan 27th, 2007, 12:42 PM

Sistah is right. I keep forgetting to end my remarks with, "..., but why anyone in their right mind would want to stay in that mosquito and plumeria infested burg is beyond me."

Kaanapali mo' bettah!

-Bill
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

In Kauai, is the beach nicer at Hanalei Colony Resort (which is about 4.5 miles further north west of Hanalei Bay or somewhere on the actual Hanalei Bay Beach from a walk from a house on Weke Road? We'd like it to be swimmable, more secluded (our own little space) and easy to play in the waves with kids.
Thank you!
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 07:51 AM

It's apples and oranges. The beach at Hanalei Bay is on a...bay and the beach at Hanalei Colony is sort of an open ocean, wilder beach.

The beach at the Hanalei Colony Resort is gorgeous, but not the best for swimming, but the about a mile up the road is Makua Beach (Tunnels) which is heaven.

In the summer the beach at Hanalei Bay is a great swimming beach. Very small "waves", calm water for swimming laps, sandy bottom, and shallow bottom with a slow drop off. It is a huge beach (over a mile long)and we never found it crowded. We usually beached somewhere around the Pavillion and there were never more than 15 - 20 people in the immediate vicinity. The further you walked from the Pavillion the fewer people there were. We were there in July and August.

Hope this helps.

Here are links to my pictures from our 2005 trip.

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/bquarre/...60762310453825

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/bquarre/...60762310455032

Old Jan 28th, 2007, 08:05 AM
Ag3046

Wherever you chose, please read about the dangers in the beaches you choose. There are fatalaties at several of the popular swin/snorkel areas on Kauai and Maui every year. And they are avoidable with some advance warning of the dangers. Especially, stay away from the blowholes, and northern shore rocky coastlines. Tunnels is notorious for problems. There was a water safety guide for Kauai posted on here a while back. It showed you where the water-related fatalaties in Kauai were. Maybe search on the board for Kauai, or Hawaii water safety. Maybe someone else can resurrect it. There are many wonderful and safe choices. Please review the information before letting your family swim or snorkel.

Old Jan 28th, 2007, 02:11 PM
Ag3046

Several posters have bumped up the posts on water safety in Hawaii for you to see. Search under Hawaii for them.