Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   CEDAR POINT, OHIO (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/cedar-point-ohio-28681/)

Carol Jul 13th, 1998 09:50 PM

CEDAR POINT, OHIO

My husband and I would like to take my parents and our 4 year old grandson to Cedar Point for a long weekend in August or September. Any information on lodging, the amusement park itself, or the surrounding area would be appreciated. Thanks.....

Mike Miller Jul 14th, 1998 03:04 AM

Have not been there in years but it has always been the best park in the north. It used to close after Labor Day weekend so check that out before you go.

Owen O'Neill Jul 14th, 1998 04:27 AM

It's a great park if you're fond of roller coasters...... <BR>be advised however, that it's a bit pricey considering the length of the lines for rides. Three years ago we paid $28 each and wer also charged $5 to park the car. Lines for all major rides ranged from 35 - 90 minutes. There is an IMAX theatre showing included in admission price if you choose to see the film and I supsect kid's rides have shorter lines than the big coasters. I'm not familiar with the surrounding area but there should be some good beaches and parks - it's in a very picturesque area on lake Erie. <BR>

B Jul 14th, 1998 09:09 AM

I would highly recommend the park for roller coaster fans but again the lines on the weekends for the big rides are easily up to two hours. Best to go during the week. <BR>

Carol Jul 18th, 1998 12:00 AM

<BR>I was at Cedar Point recently for Coaster Mania '98. What a FANTASTIC time! I've been there 3 times and I can highly recommend staying at the Radisson just across the causeway from the park. For the first time I visited Hotel Breakers in the park and it looked REALLY nice. I might stay there next time. It's not cheap though, but it's convenient to the park.

Carol Jul 18th, 1998 08:04 AM

<BR>I forgot to mention the following: You'll want to <BR>plan on spending 2 days at Cedar Point if you want <BR>to see and do everything. A great side trip is to <BR>take a boat (I used the Jet Express) across Lake <BR>Erie to Put-In-Bay on South Bass Island. Once there, <BR>rent a golf cart to get around in for the day. The <BR>boats depart constantly so you can stay for just a <BR>few hours or all day. Go to the top of Perry's <BR>Monument (by elevator) for a great view. There are 2 <BR>caves on the island, a winery, Stonehenge Estate, a <BR>state park, some great restaurants and bars (live <BR>music, if you like that), and a bunch of quality <BR>shops. I intended to stay for 4 hours, but I ended <BR>up spending an entire day there.

Carol Jul 21st, 1998 06:25 PM

Thank you for your help, will use the suggestions... <BR> Carol

Mel Jul 23rd, 1998 09:45 AM

I agree that you need two days to really enjoy the park. It's worth it to stay at the hotel that is right inside the park. Go ahead and get a two-day pass. You'll save a couple of bucks. I think after Labor Day they reduce the hours and the admission price. That's when I went two years ago. Only paid $89 a night for the hotel right in the park. I don't think that's outrageous. If you wander out and want a fun place for cocktails and not too fancy is TGIFriday's right on the water. It's nice to sit outside and watch the boats pull up. Hope you have fun!