Reload this Page >

Caves in the U.S.-which one?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 01:40 PM
jan

For my husband's 40th birthday this June, he wants to visit and explore some caves in the U.S. We were looking into the one near Tucson- Kartchner, or the caves in Calif. in the Mojave desert. Has anyone been there, and/or can recommend another cave? Thanks

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 01:49 PM
Bob Brown

Calsbad Caverns in eastern New Mexico is huge and awesome. I don't think another cavern in the US compares with it. If you doing caves, put that one on your list.

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 01:49 PM
x

I just loved Carlsbad Caverns,New Mexico-----

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 02:03 PM
Connie

Mammoth Cave in Kentucky is the largest cave in the U.S. and maybe one of the largest in the world.

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 02:06 PM
travellyn

At Carlsbad, you can call ahead to reserve tours in less-visited caves there, in addition to the impressive main caverns. They have several choices. My husband and I toured what was called New Cave (I don't know what it's called now) in 1985. You had to take flashlights and wear hiking boots. There was short hike up a 500 foot ridge to get to the cave.

I also liked Natural Bridge Caverns near San Antonio, Texas. There are lots of caves in the Texas Hill Country.

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 02:59 PM
alex

Another vote for the Carlsbad caves.

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 03:09 AM
Caver

Luray caverns near the National Park in VA, GREAT!

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 04:32 AM
steve

If you are going to Karchner - I hope to go soon - I would also recommend visiting Bisbee and taking the Queen Mine tour. It's a great tour of a hard-rock type mine. All the guides are former miners. Also in the area is Colossal Cave - a dry cave that is interesting

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 04:47 AM
KatWoman

Mammoth caves was awesome!

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 05:24 AM
Carol

How about Howe's Cavern in upstate NY?

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 05:54 AM
x

Another vote for Carlsbad Caverns - really awesome. We took a tour where the guide turned off the lights and I have never seen such pure blackness. Really freaky!

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 03:29 PM
lmsa_mc

Mammoth Caves is just great. Also, in my opinion, Kentucky is one of the most underrated vacation destinations in the US. There are so many beautiful, historical, and interesting things to see.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 03:58 PM
Terry

Mammoth Cave National Park is great! There are MANY tour options -- some involve the underground river that runs through the LARGEST cave in the world. There's also a dining room down there. Amazing!