Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Catalina Island - Day Trip with 9 year old kids
Notices

Catalina Island - Day Trip with 9 year old kids

May 30th, 2014, 04:12 PM
Original Poster

Catalina Island - Day Trip with 9 year old kids

Hi everyone,

The Ferry to Catalina is running a promo about travelling free on your birthday, so I am thinking about taking my twins on their birthday to Catalina for a day trip.

Can you recommend some activities that would be fun for kids in/around Avalon, or that are not too expensive?

Also, is it possible to rent a gold cart an explore the island? Or are gold carts only allowed in the town?
Recommendations for places to eat?

Are there any kid friendly beaches near Avalon that can be accessed walking?

Thanks for your suggestions!

Alexandra
May 30th, 2014, 06:14 PM

I've only been to Catalina once and it was many years ago. We didn't have our kids with us. I think it sounds like a fun idea though. I just wanted to mention that the ferry ride is fairly long and if they get sea sick it can be a miserable trip over & back.

I get terribly sea sick and took Dramamine and felt ok. The highlight was watching a pod of dolphins swim around the boat for quite a long time.
May 31st, 2014, 10:04 AM

Oh, nanabee, it must have been MANY years ago that you took the ferry to Catalina.

The promo the OP is referring to is offered by Catalina Express, which runs dual-hulled catamarans between several ports on the mainland and Catalina. The one I use runs from downtown Long Beach to Avalon. The trip takes ONE HOUR, tops. And the seas have to be really rough to give anyone seasickness. The boats are modern and quick-- and the snack bar onboard serves liquor, including a killer Bloody Mary with a pickled green bean instead of a celery stick.

Avalon is the touristy but fun main town on the island. There are lots of family-friendly activities, many of which are free for the birthday girl or boy:

-- A free game at the bowling arcade (with other games as well)
-- A free round of miniature golf (classic course-- difficult and fun, especially if you gleefully cheat, like we did last time we played)
-- Free scoops of ice cream at a few places, as I recall

You can refer to this site:

http://catalinaexpress.com/birthdayIsland.php

It's a step back in time, the trip is well worth it, DO IT!! And enjoy yourselves.
May 31st, 2014, 10:15 AM

Oh, and I've never rented a golf cart, but you can certainly get one to explore Avalon. There are all sorts of island tours you can take, so a quick search should get you a wealth of possibilities.

Have fun!!

Search this Thread