Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Cat question (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/cat-question-617908/)

starrsville May 23rd, 2006 01:40 PM

Cat question

I won't even try to make this travel related. Just asking Fodorites to answer a friend's concern.

I fostered a cat after surgery for a week. Cat was an outside stray who got beat up pretty bad in a fight with dominant neighborhood calico. Now, the cat has the life of Reilly. Wounds are healed. Antibiotics are finished. Cat is safely set up as a house cat - and is loving it!

Cat spends most of the day sleeping. I think this is normal - especially for a formerly very stressed, now very happy and relieved cat.

Friend is concerned.

How much do your adult inside cats sleep during the day? Most of the day? If they are active, when are they active? Night?

Thanks for input - and editors (and r_b) I hope you aren't too upset by this post.

Ziana May 23rd, 2006 01:42 PM

If he wakes up he is fine.

Kal May 23rd, 2006 01:43 PM

If they are that would be very catty of them.

wsoxrebel May 23rd, 2006 01:44 PM

Happy cats sleep most (90%?) of the day and then prowl around at night.

GoTravel May 23rd, 2006 01:45 PM

Starrsville, I've read that healthy indoor cats sleep 18+ hours a day.

It is very common for the cat to sleep all day. Mine certainly do and then they at night they; walk all over me, fight with each other, find a loud crinkly piece of paper or bag to rustle around, howl at non existent outdoor ghosts, slurp water loudly, crawl in bed with me only to hog the bed, and finally snore.

starrsville May 23rd, 2006 01:45 PM

I love you Kal :-)

cantstayhome May 23rd, 2006 01:45 PM

How nice to hear about Cat's recovery and new home! I don't have cats (dog person), but my friend is known as the local "cat lady." Her cats sleep all the time. They play sporadically, but sleeping all the time is apparently perfectly normal.

"Cat lady" is also known for taking in feral kittens and turning them into affectionate, loving pets. They seem happy now to have a life of being fat, lazy, snuggly kitties.

bob_brown May 23rd, 2006 01:46 PM

I think your cat was well traumatized and is staying inside because s/he knows a safe environment.

We have 3 cats who came in from the wild. They prefer being outside most of the time. But MomCat lolls on the couch belly up, which shows a sense of security.

Cats are very adaptable and if your cat wanted outside, he would let you know big time. Ours shure do!!

I think also the cat will in his own way show considerable gratitude. Our MomCat did when my wife rescued her from being trapped under the house next door.

rjw_lgb_ca May 23rd, 2006 01:48 PM

Go, are my cats sneaking out to shack up with you and Mr. Go?! ;)

Yep, cats like to sleep during the day and work at night. Similar to Go's cats, my cats' jobs entail:

-- Play-fighting
-- Begging for food
-- Lying in my lap/on my shoulder/on my arm/on the pillow behind my head on the couch
-- Climbing over me in bed
-- Hogging the bed while catching some Zs
-- Purring in my ear

Anonymous May 23rd, 2006 01:50 PM

My cats, both rescues, sleep most of the day. If your friend's cat doesn't, tell her to have it tested for kitty ADHD.

suze May 23rd, 2006 01:55 PM

Cats sleep A LOT! I don't mean to be making a medical diagnosis that everything is OK... but he just sounds like one very happy and grateful cat.

As above, I read typically indoor cats sleep something like 20 out of every 24 hours (that may be a slight exaggeration but not by much according to my two - one old, one young guy).

I'd phone home and ask them, but that would wake them up from their naps
;-)

AnnMarie_C May 23rd, 2006 01:59 PM

Our cat, Killer, has taken to heart the fact that cats are nocturnal so she sleeps most of the day. She gets up to eat, use the litter box, yell to go outside (she's an indoor kitty with dreams of living outdoors), eat some more and, on occassion, play but mostly she sleeps, more so now that she's in renal failure. At night, when she was younger with tail a waggin, she would jump up onto the dressers and swat things off with her paws in her cheap attempt to wake us up...it's funny now. Now that she's slowing down we usually find her at night wide awake sitting in a strategic location of a room where she can capture any activity that may occur. Just the other morning I found a large flying bug, feet to the sky--yet another victim of Killer the night stalker. The old girl still has it in her. :-)

starrsville May 23rd, 2006 01:59 PM

Thanks so much. I said as much, but new cat-mom was not convinced. I think you have helped to do that.

My indoor (and indoor/outdoor) cats slept most of the time. Cat does need one more shot. I fostered for a week after surgery because I could provide a) a quiet place and b) keep the cat isolated. This 3 year old male NEVER asked to go outside. I believe he was thrilled to be safe and sound and well taken care of.

His new home is the home office of my friend. After one walk-through of his new home, he has expressed no interest in further adventures. Friend is at computer desk - cat is curled up on a nice cushy chair. Again, what a life for the little guy!

But, after spending hours on end together and little evidence of doing much more than sleep Friend was concerned.

Cat is eating and pooping and grooming regularly. Oh, and of course, sleeping! :-)

Thanks all - in case this thread gets deleted.