Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   casual resturants (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/casual-resturants-64673/)

janine Mar 7th, 2000 01:41 PM

casual resturants

We're leaving for New Orleans next week and wondering if anyone has any suggestions on resturants with excellent food but a casual atmosphere? <BR>i.e. a place where you wouldn't feel out of place in shorts or dress pants. Thanks for you help!

Bill Mar 7th, 2000 03:20 PM

just a suggestion..."casual restaurants in New Orleans" would probably get more replies. Many people don't view the posts geographically, so vagueness is bad. <BR> <BR>All restaurants in New Orleans are fairly casual...only a few (Commanders, Galatoires, Brennans, Antoines, etc) require a jacket. A few more (Emeril's overrated threesome, etc) require dress pants, and the rest are "anything goes!"

kal Mar 7th, 2000 03:53 PM

let the good times roll ! agree w/ prior post on most are casual. disagree w/ review of emeril's NOLA...we had an excellent meal and great service and we had 10 people in our party...off the beaten path on the esplande is "port of call"..great hamburgers/baked spuds..i know, burgers in n.o.?? they are good and atmosphere is pretty cool..try a monsoon. it beats the overrated hurricane...take a taxi to it...a bit of a walk thru ?? area..also,petunia's on st louis/bourbon is cas and eclectic and good. the standard k paul's is cas and still putting out good grub. the best of all is "mothers"...very cas and the best po' boy and jambalaya around <BR>(poydras/tchoupitoulas)...if the weather's good, get a muffaletta at central grocery and take it to the moonwalk and eat it and watch the ships go by...felix's had good oysters and seafood, too....

janine Mar 8th, 2000 06:15 AM

Thanks for the tip and info.

lisa Mar 8th, 2000 09:17 AM

Janine: There was an almost identical thread on this a few months ago if you do a word search using "New Orleans restaurants." Lots of recommendations there. <BR> <BR>Personally, I like Cafe du Monde for breakfast (beignets & coffee), K Paul's for lunch (great crawfish etoufee), and Peristyle for dinner (I wouldn't do shorts at Peristyle but dress pants are fine). All are excellent, New Orleans classics, with wonderful food and service & very informal. These are all in the French Quarter. Outside of the French Quarter there was a place I liked that I think was called Frankie & Johnny's that was great. For live music/nightlife, try Tipitina's or the Maple Leaf. Have a great time!

Cindy Mar 10th, 2000 01:59 PM

Actually, I have a question for kal ([email protected]. Where are Cajun Cabin, Central Grocery and the Moonwalk located?

kal Mar 10th, 2000 02:52 PM

Cindy, I've never been to the Cajun Cabin, but it's located at 501 Bourbon, I think between St Louis/Toulouse Sts. <BR> <BR>Central Grocery is located at 923 Decatur, down near Margaritaville. <BR> <BR>The Moonwalk is right behind the French Market Place on the banks of The Big Muddy...See if there is an empty bench or walk down to Toulouse St Wharf or Oldenberg Park, down towards the Aquarium of the Americas. <BR> <BR>2 suggestions...1)Try the website <BR>WWW.nolalive and 2)get a map from the local Barnes&Nob/Borders/Tower called MAPEASY"S Guidemap To....in this case, New Orleans..pretty simple maps that list restaurants, bars, hotels (rated w/ $$$signs)stores, etc...i've picked them up for d.c., chicago, nyc, boston,sf,rome, paris,london, napa valley and haven't been lost yet! try www.mapeasy.com...No i don't work there! <BR> <BR>When y'all going? <BR> <BR>Man...All this New Orleans talk is makin' me thirsty for an Abita Springs Turbo Dog brew !!! Let da good times roll !!!! <BR>kal