Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Casual restaurants in Napa Valley and Carmel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 10:34 AM
J

We're planning our honeymoon in Napa and Carmel and are looking for recommendations for casual, fun restaurants for dinner and lunch. We have several recommendations for special dinners, but would like to find some more laid-back options as well. One particular thing I'd like to find is a fun oyster bar in the Carmel area.

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 06:28 PM
rld

Try the Ocean Grille in Carmel for lunch. I've been there twice and have not been disappointed.

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 09:02 AM
kam

Flaherty's Seafood and Oyster Bar in Carmel, The Fishwife in Pacific Grove, and touristy as it is, either Bubba Gump's or Albionetti's on Fisherman's Wharf in Monterey. Hog's Breath Inn is closed and Clint no longer owns it, but the decor remains the same and it's a casual place to go in Carmel. It's on San Carlos Street and 5th. Sorry can't remember the new name. Pub food at Britannia Arms on Dolores St. Toots Lagoon for old fashioned American comfort food. Only bad meal I ever had in Carmel was at Mondo's--very heavy handed Italian. In Napa Mustard's is informal and fun and The Little Red Hen Cantina near Trefethen Winery can't be beat for huevos rancheros.

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 09:36 AM
Caitlin

In the city of Napa, Cafe Lucy is a great, casual place with very fresh, simply prepared (delicious) food. It's more a place locals go than a "destination," and you can't go wrong.

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 12:42 PM
kal

Rutherford Grill, Napa Grill, The Diner are all pretty cas and have good grub.

Old Jul 28th, 2001, 11:13 PM
Robert Shaw

My wife and I just returned July 27th to Switzerland after 3 nights in Carmel where we always end our biennial trips to California. Our casual favorite by far from several trips is to eat on the (heated) terrace at the Village Corner restaurant at 6th and Dolores - very European in style and a nice atmosphere around their open fireplace at night. I would also support other's endorsement of the Ocean Grill on Ocean Ave (Carmel's main street) although it is slightly more expensive. We also had a fairly good casual meal at Nico one night - very good service and they have a small heated terrace at the back. Don't go to Toots Lagoon! - the food and wine was awful. They also automticaly added a 17% tip onto the bill - the first time we saw that happen in Carmel. When we questioned it, they said that was Carmel practice which is simply false and unethical. Even after complaining, they ignored us.

For breakfast, try Em Le's Cafe on Dolores between 5th and 6th or The Cottage. Did not like Katy's Place for breakfast - everything was grimy and overpriced and the service was terrible.
Best of luck!

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 04:12 PM
Bob

Village Corner recommended above is great. Ate there Saturday night.

Toastie's in downtown Pacific Grove is where the locals go for breakfast. It is a joint, but good food with outside seating available.

Pepper's in Pacific Grove is where the locals go for Mexican food.

Fandango's in Pacific Grove is simply outstanding and many Carmel visitors never know it is there. The locals do as do the SF Bay Area people. Not cheap, but worth it.

Clint Eastwood owns the Carmel Mission Inn. They have a restaurant that serves lunch on the weekends and dinner in the evenings. Good view of the water from outside seating and not expensive for lunch. The Ranch is also well done and worth seeing on how Clint restored for a hotel.

Il Fornaio in the Pine Inn on Ocean has good food.

Roy's at Spanish Bay resort on 17 Mile Drive is good. Go in the evening and hear the bagpiper play at sunset, then eat at Roy's. You will enjoy it.

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 08:31 PM
Leilani

The Old Adobe on Soscol Avenue and Silverado Trail in Napa is fun for lunch, and the building is an authentic, historic adobe -- watch your head when you're going through doorways!

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 05:48 AM
Parrot Mom

On both trips to Carmel for lunch we ate at Nico...I understand he owns another restaurant down the street, but we found Nico delightful and reasonable..