Casual, quiet restaurant needed in Pasadena

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Staying at the Westin in Pasadena for a few nights on business... want to meet a friend for dinner. I'd like someplace nice, not fancy, but not noisy and NOT pretentious. (We haven't seen each other in 20 years and would like to have a nice conversation!) I don't like chains... prefer locally owned small personable places. This time, the atmosphere means a lot! Any recommendations? Thanks so much!
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 05:22 PM
Neopolitan

I think I got crucified for this last time I mentioned it, but I love the atmospere sitting outside at Twin Palms. We've been there several times, have always had good food (the roast chicken is wonderful), the tables outside are rather well spaced, and we've always had friendly service. I'm not sure why several people ranted at me for suggesting it. It used to be owned by Kevin Costner, was that the reason?

Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

thanks...something outside would be perfect! can you tell me a bit more about it? (Obviously I have no problems with Kevin!
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 07:28 PM
Neopolitan

Sort of a big rambling place. Kind of an outdoor garden with some big trees growing in it and surrounded by a high wall. There are a couple of indoor areas that open out totally to the outside. It's all about sitting out among the plants and trees, with some stretched white awnings above you.

Duh. Never mind. I just got smart and googled. A picture's worth a thousand words.
www.twin-palms.com

Old Apr 24th, 2006, 07:39 AM

Twin Palms gets thumbs-down from natives since most of the food they offer is stunningly mediocre. Which would be acceptable except that Pasadena offers some truly excellent restaurants, so why accept mediocrity? Even when a celebrity's name is attached (see also: Jennifer López's appalling eatery Madre's).

How about the swank Ritz-Carlton Huntington dining room? The food is wonderful there. The Raymond, on Fair Oaks, is also great. If you like Thai, Saladang Song might be the ticket (although, in most Thai eateries in southern CA, they rush you through your meal with super-efficient service).
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 07:53 AM
Neopolitan

I'd compare Twin Palms "MEDITERRANEAN HALF
ROTISSERIE CHICKEN
citrus-marinated chicken with gratin
potatoes, red cabbage, spiced carrots
and lemon butter for $14.50" to just about any meal for the price anywhere in LA proper. I've eaten that chicken a couple of times and was anything BUT mediocre. It has the benefit of nicely spaced tables in a beautiful outdoor setting. Comparing it with having a meal at the Ritz is a little absurd, frankly. I'd never think to do that kind of comparison. I guess it's all what you're looking for.

Besides, there's no longer any celebrity connection is there?

Old Apr 24th, 2006, 08:00 AM
Neopolitan

By the way, I see Zagat's refers to Saladang as "an industrial noisy setting". My recommendation for Twin Palms was primarily for the setting and the quiet requested by moneygirl. As she said "the atmosphere means a lot". I'll stand by my recommedation.

If she wants to spend at least double the money, I'm sure the Ritz Huntington or The Raymond would also offer peace and quiet though, and I have no doubt the food is superior to Twin Palms at either place. I wasn't sure what the budget was, but I suspected that "not fancy" might eliminate both of them, certainly the Ritz.

Old Apr 24th, 2006, 09:12 AM

Now Patrick, I'm sure the Twin Palms roast chicken is fine for what it is. I'm talking about the meals I've had there. Just blah. I didn't say that it still had a celebrity connection either-- it's mediocre on its own.

Truth be told, I'd sooner just mosey into Old Town Pasadena and follow my nose. A lot more fun. And you can hit a bar or two on the way going or back. But for a special, quiet dinner, I'll still suggest the swanky joints.

And note: I said Saladang Song. The quieter next-door dining room. The original is quite noisy. Saladang Song is a bit calmer.
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 11:38 AM
Neopolitan

OK, I'll admit I've never had any full meal for $14.50 that wouldn't be called mediocre compared to any meal at any Ritz. That's a given. I never intended that meal to be considered an outstanding culinary achievement, but I still say "mediocre" is a bit harsh for what I call very good, well prepared, but budget priced food. By the way, when was the last time you ate there? Zagat's ratings and comments have actually gone up in the past couple of years. It's certainly not "cutting edge" or gourmet, but I didn't give it as a suggestion for that. You and I are just on totally different wavelengths about what the poster was looking for. I may have been totally wrong, but "top notch" food or gourmet never came into the post. Maybe moneygirl will come back and let us know what price range or food category she's looking for.

Old Apr 24th, 2006, 11:40 AM
Neopolitan

By the way, rob, you and I usually totally agree on what we like in restaurants and usually come up with many of the same favorites -- generally far more upscale. Twin Palms wouldn't be one of them. But I didn't post this recommendation for me or for you, I posted it for what I thought this particular poster wanted.

Old Apr 24th, 2006, 11:50 AM

OK, agreed (BTW, my name's not Rob...). Still, I'd go for something a little better. Yujean Kang? The patio at Celestino? The patio at Smitty's Grill? Might as well make it memorable on multiple levels. These three are good-- and not as ritzy at the others I mentioned.
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 12:09 PM
Neopolitan

Hmm. Why did I think your name was Rob? Haven't I called you that before? Or am I confusing you with someone?

Old Apr 24th, 2006, 01:06 PM

I don't know who Rob is nor who Patrick is, but

I've been to a few of the restaurants in downtown Pasadena, so here are a few suggestions:

DON'T go to Hooters, it's noisy

There's a wonderful Argentinian place, Gaucho Grill, it's a bit noisy at times but you can still talk and the food is fun. You have to be a meatlover.

Il Fornaio is a chain, but an upscale chain, and we really like their food. They have a patio, valet parking (pretty essential if you are arriving in popular DT Pasadena at night).

Cheesecake Factory is one of the better chain restaurants. Nice booths where you can talk.

Maybe if you told us what kind of food you wanted, European, American, Asian, it might narrow down the choices somewhat.

If it's a Friday night, go down the road a few blocks and have a snack at the Norton Simon Museum patio. Not much in terms of food choices, but wow what a beautiful garden. Norton Simon Museum is open until 9pm on Fridays.
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 07:46 PM
Original Poster

Easy... didn't realize there were such strong feelings on this seemily simple request! It will be a Wednesday night... so the Norton Simon idea is out. I will listen to rjw (thanks) and check out Smittys and Celestinos... I appreciate it. By "not fancy" I didn't mean that i"m unwilling to spend a few dollars...
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 08:39 PM

moneygirl: good choices!

What went on in this thread just shows that a lot of the long-time, really good Fodorites who contribute a lot to this forum are also passionate people - passionate about travel, passionate about food, etc. Makes for a good and interesting forum!

Enjoy your mini-reunion!
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 02:05 AM
hsv

Has anybody been at the Raymond recently? My experience dates back a few years, but I seem to recall that it was quite nice.
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

The menus for The Raymond look really nice... so rjw... what's the acceptable dress there? i think it's my frontrunner so far! Thanks
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 12:21 AM
hsv

Regarding dress code: It's located in relaxed Southern California, after all, and I think a nice shirt and decent pants for a male would be fine, for the girls accordingly (hard for me to describe what I believe is fashionable, girls tend to look good anyway ;-) ). In general I would think dressy casual would be how I would prepare - but again, my experience dates back a bit and memory is not that clear regarding this portion.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

dressy casual is perfect... so far I'm feeling great about the recommendations you've all given. Thank you! I'll post a mini report and let you know how it goes!
Old May 19th, 2006, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

posting a mini report... thanks again for the recommendations!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -