Castroville Artichoke Festival!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2004, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning to drive from San Jose airport to Monterrey Peninsula May 15th. Little did I know that weekend is the ARTICHOKE FESTIVAL!! My question is: Is this a major event that will snarl traffic along 156 or is it no big deal? Would it be better to take 101 to Salinas and then cut over to Monterry? Also, my plane leaves SJC at 12:10 Monday afternoon. What time should I leave Carmel to navigate 101 and comfortably catch flight home? Just don't know the traffic patterns so any info would be appreciated.
Old Apr 13th, 2004, 05:48 PM

Hi knute,

I'm sorry, I don't know anything about the travel times you're asking about, but I think you really MUST stop in at the fest and enjoy yourself a bit of artichoke something or other! How fun ><
Old Apr 13th, 2004, 06:50 PM

San Jose to Carmel is about an hour and a half drive. Going from Carmel to San Jose on a Monday morning you would not likely hit commute traffic unless you were planning on being on the Gilroy to San Jose stretch during rush hour, which should be over by 9:30. So I think if you leave Carmel by 9:30 you will have no problems and a comfortable margin for error in case there's an accident or something.
Old Apr 13th, 2004, 08:43 PM

If San Jose to Carmel is 1.5 hours (and I don't really know how long that route takes) and your flight leaves at noon, that would only put you there an hour early if you leave Carmel at 9:30am. You're going to have to return your rental car, and if there's any slowing on the way, you're in trouble. I'd leave between 8 and 8:30 to be safe.

love
roxy
Old Apr 13th, 2004, 08:54 PM

As for the Artichoke festival - It isn't super huge like the garlic festival in Gilroy. But it IS big. Lots of traffic and shuttle buses. Depending on what time of day you'd be traveling through the area - cutting over at Salinas would probably be better.
Old Apr 15th, 2004, 08:04 AM

Lake - are you really recommending that knute drive all the way up to SF the night before her flight?

Sorry - couldn't resist - you are the only person I've ever "known" to refer to San Jose as "The City".
Old Apr 15th, 2004, 07:56 PM

For a noon flight I think that I too would advise staying in the city (San Jose that is) the night before you leave. Driving into the city on a weekday morning, traffic is quite unpredictable.