Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   CASE OF WINE AS CHECKED BAGGAGE TO HAWAII ON DELTA (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/case-of-wine-as-checked-baggage-to-hawaii-on-delta-965264/)

ragsrags11 Feb 1st, 2013 10:40 AM

CASE OF WINE AS CHECKED BAGGAGE TO HAWAII ON DELTA

HAS ANYBODY TRIED SHIPPING A BOX OF WINE TO HAWAII AS CHECKED LUGGAGE ON DELTA? WE ARE FLYING FIRST CLASS AND WE ARE ALLOWED 2 CHECKED BAGS PER PERSON AND WE HAVE A SHIPPING BOX WITH INSERTS THAT WOULD SECURE THE WINE BUT WE ARE NOT SURE IF THIS IS ACCEPTABLE. WE DON'T WANT TO GET TO THE AIRPORT AND FIND OUT THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE.

Michael Feb 1st, 2013 02:19 PM

Writing in caps is a form of shouting.

schmerl Feb 1st, 2013 02:21 PM

The way they throw checked luggage around, I wouldn't risk it!

okoshi2002 Feb 1st, 2013 02:31 PM

They sell cheap boxed wine in the stores in Hawaii. Why bother unless you bringing something special.

nyer Feb 1st, 2013 02:35 PM

For opinions, Fodors is great.
For laws and policies, why not go to the source, the airline itself
http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...ial-items.html

Looks like you could take it as long as it doesn't exceed weight and other basic requirements, but with no guarantee that it will arrive safely

tomfuller Feb 1st, 2013 02:59 PM

I might be wrong but I would guess that in the low air pressure hold of the plane that at least 1 cork would pop.
Example: If I fill my hydration pack with water near the coast, by the time I drive to 5500 feet elevation, it looks bigger and it is leaking.
Buy your wine in Hawaii or ship it ahead.

nanabee Feb 1st, 2013 03:12 PM

Can wine handle the extreme temperature changes. I don't think the hold where the luggage is is pressurized. It gets probably below zero temperatures at 33,000 feet above sea level.

I checked two bottles of expensive wine I bought in Saint-Émilion one time and when I opened it a few months later it tasted HORRIBLE!!

easytraveler Feb 1st, 2013 03:29 PM

Generally speaking, yes, you can carry wine or "ship" it as extra luggage.

The wineries have special boxes with special inserts that separate the bottles. These are very secure. Wineries ship cases of wine all the time. Is your box such a box with the special inserts?

I've carried wine in my check-in luggage (not a whole case full, but two, three or four bottles) and have never had a cork pop.

You should also label the box "Handle with Care, Olive Oil" or "Homemade Jam" [The olive oil part was taught to me by ...anyway, too long a story, but you need to label the box as something innocent-sounding so that the case of "wine" will reach your destination]

For Delta specific information, check out nyer's link.

Tomsd Feb 1st, 2013 03:42 PM

We had a special Styrofoam type cooler/case we bought at a wine store and took win to Hawaii a number of times as well as to Miami for a cruise.

Wasn't really expensive - and actually - I think we had two - which each held six bottles.
They traveled well - and maybe the Styrofoam not only protected the wine but also partially insulated it in the baggage hold - which can get cold.

nytraveler Feb 1st, 2013 04:19 PM

I wouldn't treat a good wine that way. And if it's not a good wine - why not just buy it on the spot?

MichelleY Feb 1st, 2013 04:29 PM

The wine will be fine, if properly packed, for check in.

november_moon Feb 1st, 2013 05:31 PM

People do this all the time - shipping wine home from visits to CA :-)

Tomsd Feb 1st, 2013 06:17 PM

Ahhh nanab: Love your standards. They were mostly good Chards - which I think hold up a little better than some of the finer/more delicate reds. :)

Tomsd Feb 1st, 2013 06:18 PM

BTW - years ago - there were much fewer wines available in Hawaii - and they were also pretty expensive. From here in Cal as you know - you get the best buy on Cal wines.

fmpden Feb 1st, 2013 06:50 PM

There are some ignorant airplane folks. The entire airplane including the luggage area is pressured to about 8000 feet and it is heated since animals and other sensitive cargo goes there. The wine is not going to pop any corks and nothing will freeze. You are riding in a modern plane and not an unpressurized B-25 bomber. It the wine is properly package it will have no problems.

Rastaguytoday Feb 1st, 2013 07:13 PM

fmpden - agree.

How do you think Beaujolais Nouveau gets to the U.S. on the third Thursday of November?

fmpden Feb 1st, 2013 07:29 PM

submarine?

wbpiii Feb 1st, 2013 07:51 PM

I don't bring my own wine on the plane for many reasons. I do ship a case of wine to the condo/resort/rental that I am staying. I have never had a problem with shipping. Anyone who tells you that there will be a problem, does not understand the true nature of wine.

If you want to ship good wine, find an excellent wine shop that ships. I use either K&L in Menlo Park or Premier Cru in Berkeley. Allow for a few day shipping. Transit rarely changes wine.

Dukey1 Feb 2nd, 2013 01:10 AM

I'm still amazed about the "hydration pack"...I know flying can be stressful, but...

Tomsd Feb 2nd, 2013 03:23 AM

Sure - you can pay to have someone ship it for you - or as noted - do it yourself. :)