Reload this Page >

Casa Ybel Resort on Sanibel Island

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26th, 2001, 06:00 PM
Sheila

I am looking for a vacation spot for my husband, 13 year old daughter and myself this June. I have been checking into Sanibel Island and the Casa Ybel Resort. Does anyone know anything about this resort? We are looking for a very nice place where you can hear the ocean from your room. Is there a nicer place than this? We don't want anything to secluded. Also, are there plenty of things to do on Sanibel Island? Thanks for any help!

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 06:23 AM
liz

I stayed at Casa Ybel with my husband and two year old in spring of 1999. We liked it very much & are planning to go again this spring. We had a one bedroom condo and could lay on the couch in the living room and see the beach. There are screened in patios. The Sundial looks nice although I have never stayed there. It is much larger than Casa Ybel. It has several restaurants versus one at Casa Ybel. The major attraction on Sanibel is the beach.

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 06:52 AM
nina

What a coincidence! I just got off the phone with reservations there. I think it looks lovely, but it is VERY expensive. Unless you can drive to Sanibel and don't need airfare, my guess is that you could go anywhere in the caribbean for less. The rooms were from $315-$410/night and include nothing. You have to pay for the kids program, bike rental, breakfast, kayaks, etc. I personally find that to be a very steep price. There are many luxury caribbean resorts that are less expensive and have free kids programs, water sports, bikes, breakfast, etc. I'm looking at The Buccaneer in St. Croix. They don't charge anything for kids under 18. Flying from NY even with airfare they will probably end up costing the same.

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 12:36 PM
Finlay

Hi, my wife, baby & I booked a condo next door to Casa Ybel for a fraction of the price in October this year.
The resort did look nice, but the Condo had a sea view, private screened balcony. 2 large on-suite bathrooms, lounge/diner, kitchen & laundry room.
I suppose it really depends on what you as a family want out of a holiday.
We certainly can recommend it & all three of us loved Sanibel & Captiva.

www.vrbo.com has lots of property for rental & you can narrow your search on either Sanibel or Captiva.

Drop me an email if you want details of where we stayed

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 04:45 PM
msb

I live right across the street from Casa Ybel and can vouch that it is on an incredible stretch of beach. Sanibel is a very family friendly island, and from what I've heard, Casa Ybel is a very family friendly resort. Life on Sanibel consists of beach time, shelling, pool time, Ding Darling Wildlife Preserve, riding bikes on the many miles of bike paths, etc. You will find it to be quite relaxing and lots of fun.

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 09:00 PM
Christine

My family and I were in Sanibel in October. We stayed at a wonderful condo called buttonwood cottages. There all only about 4-6 cottages, so it is much more intimate. The cottages are 1 or 2 bedrooms with full kitchen and bathroom facilities. There is also 2 hottubs, free laundry, and kayaks, bikes, and beach toys for use. Also, your about 50ft for the beach. They do have a website. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to write.

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 08:59 AM
sue

I was at the on Sanibel June 2001 with my 12 year old son and 9 year old daughter. If I had to do it over I would stay at Tween Waters on Captiva. But Casa Ybel looks similar to Tween Waters. June gets very warm there so Ding Darling nature preserve needs to be a morning activity. Also, be aware that afternoon thunderstorms are almost daily. Other than the nature preserve and the shell museum there is the beach (great shelling)and biking. If you want other activites then Sanibel may not be the place for you.
There are a lot of good restaurants. One I hadn't read very much about but we were very pleased with was Matzaluna's restaurant (pizza/pasta, great place for families).
My kids were more interested in being in a pool than the beach/shelling. The highlight of their trip was the day we drove to Key Largo and the kids 'swam with dolphins' (had reservations for this). On the drive back across florida the kids saw a lot of alligators in the canal that follows the freeway. They thought that was just great.

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 08:23 AM
Pat

I am looking into Blind-Pass Condos on Sanibel for April. They are 2-bedrooms with pool, tennis for $745 a week. They are on Sanibel but closer to Captiva. You might want to check them out.

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 09:38 AM
sonia

Sheila, we've been to Casa Ybel in February many times. It is our escape from New England winters, and perfect for a peaceful relaxing break.

We stay in a 2 bedroom 2 bath condo that sleeps 6: it's a great family place. Now our children are grown up and have their own families, they still love to come!

From the screen porch, we can watch the ocean and wait to see the dolphins. And yes, I can hear the ocean when I lie in bed (unless it's very calm). There is a very nice pool, cabanas and bikes to rent, tennis courts, a restaurant. The beach in front of Casa Y is one of the best on Sanibel -- wide, white sand and more shells than you could count.

Sanibel is protective of its environment, and totally different from east coast FLA. No buildings over 3 stories high; a world-renowned wildlife and bird refuge; famous beaches and shelling. It's not for you if you want sophisticated citified nightlife, though there are many great restaurants, a cinema, and places to go dancing.

Sundial is much more of a convention/business meeting resort with condo units. Good restaurant, busy place. Tween Waters and Blind Pass seem nice, more remote, and more of a romantic/private hideaway than family resort I would guess (haven't stayed there).

Re Nina's comments about price vs. the Carib -- you have to compare apples to apples. At Casa Ybel you're getting a "home" on the beach, not just a room. You'll have full kitchen, living/dining room, screen porch, 1 or 2 bedrooms with full bath, laundry, as well as the usual resort amenities. We love it there, as you may be able to tell!