Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Carry-on question (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/carry-on-question-453795/)

traveler2005 Nov 22nd, 2008 09:35 AM

Carry-on question

Delta now charges $15 to check my first suitcase. I couldn't understand from the website if it was that much each direction or if it was a round-trip cost. I suppose either way if I need a suitcase, I'll pay the money - however, I'm curious.

Debbie

J62 Nov 22nd, 2008 09:37 AM

that's $15 each way, collected at the airport at checkin.

J62 Nov 22nd, 2008 09:38 AM

The $15 applies to checked bags, not carry-on. Did you also have a carry-on question?

joebear Nov 22nd, 2008 11:17 AM

With Northwest the new fee applies after I bought our tickets.

Wondered if you bought yours earlier than baggage fee was instated with Delta?

traveler2005 Nov 22nd, 2008 11:24 AM

Sheesh - it wasn't a carry-on question at all, was it? I've been thinking so much about whether I'd be able to fit my things into a carry-on that I guess I was thinking of that when I posted up the topic.

Thanks for the each way info - I also was glad to know when they'd collect it.

I just bought the Delta ticket this week and it looks like the new charge does apply to me. The price was good though and I figure it all evens out.

traveler2005 Nov 22nd, 2008 04:23 PM

I just happened to re-read the Delta rule. The charge doesn't apply to me after all since my flight is in November. The rule had two parts - I bought after the date - but it was only for flights after a date in December. I should have kept reading.

However I think I will go carry-on anyway. (My things fit and it will save me waiting at baggage claim.)

suze Nov 23rd, 2008 09:01 AM

Remember if you are going to go carry-on only -- the 3oz size & 1 qt total ziplock liquid/gel restriction currently in place (as far as what toiletries you can take with you, in checked luggage there is no restriction on these).

Leburta Nov 24th, 2008 11:09 PM

Also, traveller, try to get to the airport a little earlier. With so many people travelling with carry-ons now that the airlines are charging for the first checked bag, it takes longer to get through security. Also, try to choose a seat at the back of the plane so that you board first. I found that the overhead bins were very full. If you board last or late, you may be out of luck and may have to check your bag anyway.

Does anyone know if the airline charges you if you're forced to check a bag because there's no room in the overhead compartments?

karameli Nov 25th, 2008 03:44 AM

Leburta -- can't speak for all airlines, but we recently had that issue on US Airways -- hubby was forced to check his carry-on because the overheads were full. We weren't charged, and instead of going through baggage claim, his bag was just waiting in a small room off to the side of the walkway after we got off the plane.

Gretchen Nov 25th, 2008 05:58 AM

He just "gate checked" his luggage which is what I'll head for at any time I can. We just came back from a trip but had lots of gifts and things and needed big bags. The bins do get full on these smaller planes, but as long as it is just a gate check, good deal.

LHS Nov 25th, 2008 06:19 AM

We flew on Delta last week with 2 carry-on bags. They gate checked all carry-ons with wheels because of small overhead bins.

Mine was a wheeled duffel, not even the full size allowed, my H's duffel was smaller, did not have wheels and he was tagged as well. The person checking the boarding pass handed us the tag as we went through, we left the bag in the walkway, and the bag was unloaded to the walkway as we got off the plane.

So, if you carry-on only, make sure you have the stuff you want on the plane cabin with you in a smaller, no-wheel bag.

suze Nov 25th, 2008 07:19 AM

That last point is an excellent and important one!! I would always have a carry-on suitcase packed with the idea it might be taken away from me... and have the REALLY important stuff (prescription glasses and meds, passport, money) in my one personal item (purse or tote).

FainaAgain Nov 25th, 2008 09:56 AM

I will fly one-way Delta internationally. We'll stop in Florida, then on another plane to San Francisco.

It is my understanding, I will not have to pay for checked-in luggage as my trip originated in another country, is this correct?