Carriage Tour in Williamsburg, VA

Old Jun 30th, 2003, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carriage Tour in Williamsburg, VA

Has anyone taken the carriage tour? Where do you get it from, how much does it cost and how long does it last?
I'm travelling with the old and young and don't want to walk a lot but would still like to see the sights - what do you recommend?
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 01:49 PM

The carriage tours are operated by Colonial Williamsburg Foundation. I've been there when signs were posted "All Carriage Rides Sold Out" ... so if you want to take them, you might wish to reserve ahead of time, if you can. Tickets for most events at CW can be purchased in advance by calling 1-800-HISTORY I've not been on the rides, and I'm not sure how completely they cover the entire historic area (1 mile X 1/2 mile, approx) Their website is www.history.org
Oh -- the rides start at the Greenhut Lumber Office, on south side of Duke of Gloucester Street, somewhat between the Magazine and Merchants' Square.
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 02:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
As rb_traveler says, the carriages are really more of a ride than a tour lasting 20 minutes or so and taking folks on a loop down Duke of Gloucester Street (the main drag), off to a side street and around the street in front of the Governor's Palace.

Mostly you need to walk to experience Colonial Williamsburg. Buses run within the restored area for ticket holders. And there are plenty of places to stop and sit for those needing a walking break. Wheelchairs can be hired as well.
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 02:20 PM

I assumed memee would be a ticket holder! If you do not purchase a day-pass or annual ticket, they do charge more for the carriage rides. The buses (for tix holders only) run the perimeter of the historic area with stops behind Governors Palace, E of the Capital, 2 locations on Frances St, near some of the taverns, and near the magazine, at the Williamsburg Lodge & A.A. Rockerfeller Folk Art museum, at the Dewitt Gallery, and at Merchant's Square. Bicycles are frequently driven around too. You may walk the streets of Williamsburg without a ticket, but will not be admitted in any building. I like many of the evening events (extra charge of $6-$12 according to your ticket type) and especially recommend the 18th Century plays presented only on Saturday nights. "Cry Witch", an audience participation witch trial is very popular. I'd advise calling ahead for tickets as many events sell out early.

OBXgirl is correct in that you really must be on foot to appreciate the place, and there's lots of places to relax. I love sitting in a rocking chair under the covered breezeway at the Lodge. Feel free to walk in any garden, unless it's specifically posted.

OBX: did you check out La Casita (?) yet? (across from Applebees)

Old Jun 30th, 2003, 04:28 PM

rb_traveler, We haven't yet had the opportunity to try La Casita but are always excited to see anything mexican or tex mex come to the area. A few years back, Taco Bell was voted "best mexican food." Yikes!

Have you tried it?
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 05:24 AM

Be aware that the carriage tours do not operate during very hot weather for the safety of the horses. We were in Williamsburg last summer during the last week in July. With temperatures 100+ on a daily basis, very few animals were on the property during our visit.
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 11:55 AM

OBXgirl: I had some VERY good fajitas for $8, so in addition to Sals by Victor, which I stop at EACH time I visit your fair city, I'm adding La Casita to my list as well. Each day my breakfast was a quick stop into Food Lion for yogurt & OJ which I "sneaked" into BigApple Bagels next door & had my bagel(s) and Coffee fix. 2nd Street Pub we like too.
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 12:26 PM

Rb_traveler, thanks for the hint on La Casita. We'll be checking it out pronto!

BTW, the new restaurant adjacent to the Cheese Shop is now open for dinners. Can't wait to try it. Called the Fat Canary.