Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Carriage Rides-New Orleans (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/carriage-rides-new-orleans-540349/)

ugadog99 Jun 29th, 2005 07:34 AM

Carriage Rides-New Orleans

I thought my girls might enjoy a carriage ride through the French Quarter. Does anyone know the approximate cost for the carriage? Also, where do we find them and do I need a reservation for the ride? Thanks!

J_Correa Jun 29th, 2005 07:47 AM

I don't remember how much they cost, but they are lined up at Jackson Square and Decatur. You don't need reservations, just walk up, pick a carriage. We did it and it was a lot of fun.

ChristieP Jun 29th, 2005 08:57 AM

Each ride is $50. It is a LOT of fun!!

Dan Jun 29th, 2005 09:06 AM

FYI, expect some rude looks from locals and PETA-minded visitors. Not everyone is enthralled with the mule/buggy idea!

nwtraveler Jun 29th, 2005 09:07 AM

I just returned from a trip to NOLA the first week of June. If you go in a group carriage it is $12 per person. If you hire a private carriage it is $60 per person. The typical group carriage holds 5-7 people and the private carriages hold 1-4 people.

mah1980 Jun 29th, 2005 09:20 AM

You can negotiate, but most are around $50-60.

504tours Dec 2nd, 2008 06:49 AM

The carriage rides and tours really the best way to see the city.the cost is 60.00 for a smll buggy that's for a private tour or you can share the large buggy with other people for12.00 per person.my name is micky if you would like to go on one just call 504-251-1595

november_moon Dec 2nd, 2008 08:25 AM

Since ugadog was posting 3 1/2 years ago, I bet he or she has already gone.

504tours Dec 5th, 2008 07:12 AM

The info I was posting was for others to read thanks . New Orleans is here and need people to come

vjpblovesitaly Dec 5th, 2008 07:18 AM

Regardless, you are not allowed to advertise your own company.

Dan Dec 7th, 2008 03:32 PM

Correct. You are violating Fodor's terms of service re: posting by advertising/soliciting.

tampatiger Jan 6th, 2009 08:27 PM

I'm not a big fan, primarily because I feel for the horses...yeah, I know "what a wuss"...and since I split my time between NOLA and Baton Rouge, I didn't think I'd do such a 'touristy thing' in one of my hometowns. Anyway, I was with a group of 10 or so last month in the Quarter and since everyone wanted to go for a ride, I joined. It was enjoyable, the driver was informative and we even stopped at Brad and Angelina's home on Governor Nichols...kinda cool, actually. My first and last time. Price is a little negotiable and you get a better per person deal with a group. By the way, the guided walking ghost tours always seemed kinda cool in the Quarter. I've seen them most every evening when I would walk from where I lived in the Quarter to dinner.

nytraveler Jan 7th, 2009 11:19 AM

Can't imagine this would be fun - for either the people or the horses.

At least here in NYC they don;t allow the horses to work if it's hot/humid - which would be a good part of the year in NO.

Brian_in_Charlotte Jan 7th, 2009 12:05 PM

"The carriage rides and tours really the best way to see the city."

For the fat and lazy, perhaps. To me, by foot is far better.

bkluvsNola Jan 9th, 2009 12:16 PM

nytraveler,

They don't use horses in New Orleans, they use mules because mules can stand the heat much better. Tours are conducted year round because the mules are well adapted to the climate.