Ski on the East Coast

Search

Ski on the East Coast

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2018, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ski on the East Coast

Hello, we live in Northern Virginia (outside of Washington DC) & would like suggestion for a decent ski place end of February within driving distance 3- 4 hours. We are beginner to intermediate skiers (over 55 parents & 20-year young adults).

We had skied at White Tail, Snow Shoe, Wintergreen & once at Steamboat, Colorado. After we (the parents) last skied at Steamboat 10 years ago, we have not gone back to skiing around here. My kids have skied at Ski Liberty & White Tail a few years ago.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 3rd, 2018, 06:45 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Or son learned to ski at Montage. It's not far off I-81 in the Scranton area.
Old Jan 4th, 2018, 02:49 AM

Not sure what's wrong with where you have skied, particularly Snowshoe and Wintergreen. There is Winterplace.
The important thing about skiing is to take some lessons so you aren't a menace to yourselves and to the people you can wipe out on the slopes. I find that is the bain of southern skiing--the kids that go to the top of the hill and ski straight down with no control.
Snowshoe has the best chance of good snow, I think.
Old Jan 4th, 2018, 04:50 AM

Snowshoe is the best east coast skiing. More snow more runs than anywhere else. If you didn't like Snowshoe all you have left is West or New England.
Old Jan 4th, 2018, 07:33 AM

If you're going to drive and stay semi-local, you're probably best off at Snowshoe. That has decent variety for an east coast ski resort (it claims 257 ski-able acres, which is less than 1/2 of Aspen and Aspen mountain is SMALL for Colorado), and a lot of green runs for getting back up to speed.
Old Jan 4th, 2018, 11:09 AM

Pretty funny.

If New England isn't East Coast, what is?

You are talking about Southern skiing, and it sounds like you have had all the options within 3-4 hours, though NW Jersey and NE PA might be within reach.
Old Jan 4th, 2018, 01:21 PM

>

from NoVa, they are.
Old Jan 4th, 2018, 03:41 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
"Not sure what's wrong with where you have skied, particularly Snowshoe and Wintergreen."

Have you ever skied Wintergreen, Christina? It's ok for a quick weekend or day trip but I'm never going to pick it over West Virginia skiing or most PA slopes. I love the resort part but the skiing is not on par with Snowshoe.

I've never skied it myself but people seem to like Blue Mountain. Also, take a look at Elk Mt.
Old Jan 4th, 2018, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback & it looks like Snowshoe got the vote! Yes, among the places that we had skied around here: we love Snowshoe - about 4 hrs and a half from us.

But since we have not skied in New Jersey or PA, we just want to see if anyone has any feedback.
Old Jan 4th, 2018, 05:15 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Apologies to both Christina and Gretchen. I'm not sure how I flubbed that up.
Old Jan 5th, 2018, 06:07 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Whitetail resort in Pa is where my DC friends go.
Old Jan 5th, 2018, 10:25 AM

You do have 7 Springs to consider. It's my former home mountain. Although the runs are short, there are plenty for beginner-ish skiers. The ski school is good--I have two friends who have taught there. I think lessons are important to learn and improve and you get priority in the lines! The resort itself is nice which is why I suggested it. There is a great bar, the Foggy Goggle for apres ski and a pool area. Plus, there are other activities such as a spa and bowling alley for those times when you aren't skiing. The food is average, Helen's restaurant is the best on the mountain, but $$. Enjoy your ski vacation!
Old Jan 5th, 2018, 11:53 AM

I haven't skied Snowshoe, but it is the best in the area, sure. Still, nothing like out West, which is what I prefer. I hate Whitetail, I think it's the worst around here. Well, Bryce is technically the worst but I just hate Whitetail. The snow gets really icy due to direction it faces, and it's the most crowded, also.

You could try Seven Springs in PA for a change, also.

I do like Wisp, but it doesn't have as much terrain as Snowshoe. I also like Timberline, actually, it's good for beginners as it has the longest green run in this area, I believe.
Old Jan 7th, 2018, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Does anyone have suggestion for lodging at Snowshoe? We prefer ski=in/ ski-out

Thanks!
Old Jan 8th, 2018, 01:49 PM

We have stayed in a couple of places there. Silver Creek Area has a hotel type place with various sizes of rooms, many with kitchenettes. That is the arm of Snowshoe. Upside--lower cost Downside--one has to catch a bus to the main resort, but the Silver Creek area is often empty during the day. It is lighted at night which attracts groups such as high schoolers. We would often ski Silver Creek when the other areas were crowded. Twice we stayed at the Powderridge area. That was nice because of the ski in/out. It was more expensive and a little nicer than the Silver Creek Lodge. We stayed at Soaring Eagle one time. The room was small, but it had a great location. It's been a few years since I've been, so check our the locations for yourself with a map of the area.

While searching for information to pass along, I learned that the mountain opened in around 1973--I may have been there the inaugaral year, or the one after! I have many fond memories of family skiing there.

In more recent years, I've gone with a few friends. When the snow is good and the crowds light, we've had a ball. Taking the midweek package always saved us money and helped with less skiers.

Enjoy!
Old Jan 9th, 2018, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks StacyB for all the info! Love the enthusiasm!