Burlington-Montreal route & border?

Old Sep 7th, 2005, 03:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Burlington-Montreal route & border?

We will be in the Stowe/Burlington area at the end of Sept and were thinking about driving to Montreal one day for a day trip. I've read there can be waits for border crossing. Is this more dependent on the day of the week or time of day or season? Are there any small town in Canada on the way that are worth a stop?
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 04:34 AM

There is hardly any traffic in northern Vermont and no border back-ups on the scale of Detroit, MI or Buffalo, NY areas.

There are no small towns en route that merit a special trip unless you need to stop for coffee, lunch, etc. The trip is less than 2 hours anyway (during non-rush or on weekends). Montreal rush hour can be bad - are you flexible as to when you go? I would hate to hit both AM and PM rush for a day trip.
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 05:59 AM

Montreal is an easy 90-100 minute hop from Burlington. Just take I-89 up to the border, follow 133 to 35 to 10 and enter Montreal via pont(bridge) Champlain. Follow Autoroute Bonaventure right to the downtown, exiting at Vieux Port or stay on to the end (Centre Ville). We do this trip many times a year, and the border crossing can take anywhere from 5 minutes to 40 minutes. It typically is much shorter going in than coming back. There isn't much worth stopping for on the way up, it's mostly flat farm country, with a few truck stops and small farming towns. There are a few small wineries that can
be interesting if you have the time. However, for a first visit to Montreal, I'd recommend just scooting up to the city - you won't regret it.
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

thanks for these tips. Budget says we can drive our rental into Canada and we will be going on a Sunday so there shouldn't be issues w/ rush hour. We'll have our 8 yr old with us and he's just excited about having his passport stamped - after that it might be down hill! If we can only spend a couple of hours in Montreal on that Sun. before heading back to Vermont; what would you suggest doing (w/ 8 yr old)??
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 07:02 AM

I am sorry to say but your passsport won't be stamped. Do not miss Biodome in Montreal with your child and bring binoculars so he can watch birds there
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 07:08 AM

Forgot to add that in Botanical Gardens in Montreal there are many families with kids of any age on Sundays. It is a great spot for family outings. Enjoy your trip.

If you have more than two days in Vermont take a ferry from Charlotte, VT to Essex, NY at least for a lunch. You won't have to take your car on a ferry just walk to the restaurant, I think its name is Dock Restaurant. You will see this place on the left side from the ferry. There is a plenty of parking at the ferry in Vermont for those who leave cars there
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 07:22 AM

leahinsc, go to the Canada board for tons of info on Montreal. I agree the Biodome in the Olympic Park may be the top attraction in the city for a child. Of course ther's also the Amusement park on the island, but that would probably be too much for a day trip. There are pedal carts and boat rides at the old port - both regular and jet boats. There's also a maze and an Imax theater at the old port. You could also drive up to the top of Mt. Royal for a great view of the city.
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

Tragedy! they won't stamp his passport...oh no! He's not so much a Biodome sort of kid...I think pedal boats would be good. I'll try and find a Montreal site to see what they have.
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 09:22 AM

If you ask nicely, they may stamp the passports, either at the booth or send you into the building. But of course, they may not stop there. They may want to inspect your car, do full-body searches, etc...
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

rkkwan -oh, the 8 yr old would probably love all the searching and hoopla...mom & dad...not so much. We'll see what we can work out
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 08:16 AM

Leah, check this website
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/general/times/menu-e.html
It shows a traffic flow at the border crossings and it is updated every 10 minutes. You have nothing to worry about. Welcome to Montreal