seattle hotel choices

Search

seattle hotel choices

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10th, 2004, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
seattle hotel choices

I'll be going to a conference in Bellevue in early July, and also would like to check out downtown Seattle and area attractions. Therefore, I've decided it would be best to book a hotel in Seattle itself for a few nights, rather than trying to commute. Where is best area to stay: downtown, lake Union, waterfront, or Pike's Market? Also, how about some suggested hotel choices (preferably under $200/night)?
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 09:46 AM

I wouldn't stay Lake Union but the rest of the areas are all close and easy to walk around/bus around in.

Since I live in Seattle I have only stayed at a few hotels. The one I love is the Monaco. It's owned by Kimpton Group. I think the location is fantastic for shopping, dining, walking around, etc. and the service here is top notch!!! Plus goldfish in the rooms...how cute!

I have also stayed at the Marriott Waterfront which has nice views of the sound and Alki. The trolley runs along the waterfront and there are a few restaurants on the pier but I think for the most part there are better areas to stay where you can get around easier. Unless you really want a view of the sound and then it's good. (I'm already waiting for kimamom to pipe in about the Edgewater! haha! hopefully this won't turn into another Portland Hotel thread!)

The newest hotel getting rave reviews is the Hotel Andra. Great location in downtown before it turns to Beltown. Just redone, very Scandinavian meets W Hotel interiors IMO. Great restaurant in the hotel owned by Tom Douglas- Lola.

Keep in mind that if you stay on the waterfront you might be in the middle of both mad tourist area as well as the cruise ships and the hords of people who are arriving/departing.

In Pike Place you will certainly be in the great crush of every tourist who visits. Just a word to the wise.
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 11:10 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
One thing, for $200 if you consider the Edgewater you'll have a swell view of the parking lot at best. In fact you'll probably need to move the mops out of the way to get your bed. Both the Marriott and Edgewater make their profits for the year during cruise season, as they are both yards from the T66 terminal.

I would pick the Alexis, another Kimpton but a tad closer to the action (market, Pioneer Sq.) than the Monaco. The Andra is making a buzz at the moment, so if the rate's good I'd look at it too. I'm not as big a fan of Tom Douglas' restaurants as many on this board, so having one of his restaurants as the house diner at the Andra doesn't crank me up, but YMMV.

Note if your plan is to commute from downtown to Bellevue for (all or part of) your conference that parking at the downtown hotels is $$$. OTOH I believe it's free at the Silver Cloud on Lake Union; don't know about the Residence Inn or Courtyard. The Lake Union area is interesting in its own way - houseboats, funky restaurants on Eastlake nearby, so I wouldn't be too quick to write it off. The cost savings can pay for a lot of cab rides, plus some of the places up there offer downtown shuttle services.

Note also that there are two separate July 4 fireworks shows in Seattle, one on the waterfront, the other over Lake Union. If your hotel has a view (easy at the Silver Cloud) the show will be fun to watch. The traffic and crowds will not.
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 12:26 PM

My cousin stayed at the Alexis last year and it is really pretty too. As Gardyloo says also a great location.
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 02:07 PM
jimjim

If you want to be within walking distance of most of the shopping, most of the restaurants, most of the theaters, and most of the transportation, consider one of the several hotels within a block or three of 5th and Pine. Otherwise stay on Lake Union of Elliot Bay.

Old Dec 10th, 2004, 02:24 PM

We stayed at the Residence Inn Lake Union 3 years ago - it was great for our purposes - which was family with 2 kids. It certainly is not downtown or walking distance to usual sights - but we loved the area. Nice to walk in, and got show of seaplanes landing on the lake almost any time of the day. Several restaurants within walking distance. Don't remember how much parking was, but there was a fee - we remember it as inexpensive, but not exact amount.

We had not trouble driving a short distance into downtown Seattle and were extremely lucky to find street parking each time.

If you really have some extra time, Mt. St. Helens is incredible.
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 04:28 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Downtown and Pike Place Market are virtually the same area, and that's where I'd pick. You'll be walking distance to many/most things and in the "free-ride" Metro bus zone.

The Mayflower Hotel is my favorite classic. Monaco and more recent Hotel Andra seem to be favorites. Alexis is good.

As stormygirl, I live here so my recommendations are second-hand.
Old Dec 11th, 2004, 07:05 PM

The Andra is my favorite hotel based on my experience of all of the above mentioned hotels. The restaurant, Lola, is only one of the reasons I stay there. Assaggio is also on site. There are many other restaurants in the area also and I think it's a much better location than the Alexis (way down the hill from good retail). I think the Library Bistro is average as the in house restaurant.
Old Dec 12th, 2004, 01:47 PM

I own stock in all West Coast waterfront properties, so I must chime in for the Edgewater Hotel! (JK!!!)

The Edgewater Hotel was very nice and met all of needs very nicely. They have an excellent and timely shuttle at the hotel so we didn't drive for three days that we were there.

They have some nice packages that include breakfast at their restaurant, Six Seven which was excellent! The views of Elliott Bay are gorgeous and we enjoyed watching the jellyfish swim beneath us.

Next time I stay there I am seriously going to bring my fishing pole! I don't think you can find a room for under $200/night there, tho but they might be offering specials if you book early.

I started researching places around March for an August stay. Our other choice was either the Inn at the Market or the Fairmont Olympic. We just toured the Four Seasons Biltmore in MOntecito, CA and I was very impressed.

The Olympic is now a Fairmont property, but we really enjoy the Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn in CA. I still feel that the Fairmont places are maybe just a step down from Four Seasons. I wish we would have stayed at the Olympic before it changed hands.

I haven't checked, but the Olympic used to be in the Entertainment Book where you would get a $400/night room for $200/night Sun.-Thurs.

As far as the best area to stay, it's all personal preference. Are you a water person or a hustle-bustle downtown person? I love water views when I travel. I've been very happy with all of my hotel choices when traveling the west coast.

Have a wonderful time in Seattle! The ferry ride to Bainbridge is very nice and worth the time, IMO. ***kim***
Old Dec 12th, 2004, 02:33 PM

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the rather new Inn at the Harbor Steps. That's what I'm looking at for a couple nights in July for well under $200. It looks fantastic. Isn't it??

By the way, I appreciate warnings about NOT staying near Pike's Market to avoid the hoardes of tourists, but if other tourists are like me, that's where they'll end up. Frankly I think it's easier to stay there as to "commute" there from somewhere else in town. The last time there we spent several nights at The Inn at the Market and LOVED it. But don't want to spend that much next time.
Old Dec 12th, 2004, 03:50 PM

It was about 5 years ago... but we had a lovely stay at the Inn at the Market. .. have no idean what it costs now -
Old Dec 12th, 2004, 11:39 PM

When we go to Seattle my daughter typically wants to go to Seattle Center for much of the trip, so having a hotel near Seattle Center works out well. But we typically use Priceline, so don't necessarily have much control over where we end up (but it's worth it for getting a room at 1/3 or 1/2 the price we otherwise would pay). I'd certainly be happy to stay by Pike Place Market, any time of year.

I tend to think that the Seattle hotel with the best price/location/quality ratio is Summerfield Suites. You will get a nicely-turned out suite the size of many 1-BDR apartments. There's a pool and fitness center, and a free breakfast. It's on Pike Street, and about a 10-block walk uphill from Pike Place Market. But you can take the public bus (which is free within the downtown core) up to a couple blocks from the Summerfield Suites. And anyways, the walk will do you good and it's on a shopping street. I've gotten this for $52 on Priceline as a 2.5* hotel, but of course you can't count on getting this hotel. If you look for specials and aren't going at the busiest time, you can probably get a rate around $125-140, or often even better.

My next favorite hotel is Springhill Suites. This has very friendly staff, free breakfast, pool and fitness center, free coffee and tea in the lobby, and a nice suite arrangement (although smaller than Summerfield Suites). The drawback is that I don't feel too comfortable in this neighborhood at night, so we always take a cab back (about $5-7 + tip). I've gotten this three times as a 2* hotel on Priceline for bids of $45. I think you can get it for $100-125 directly.

If you are interested in Priceline, and want a hotel that is centrally located downtown a few blocks from Pike Place, you could also bid for a 4* hotel, since all of these seem to be clustered in the same area. It hasn't been worth it to me to pay the extra amount. See http://www.betterbidding.com .
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 05:32 AM

Here's hoping someone will offer more information about the Inn at Market Steps. I'm still favoring it, but the Andra looks interesting, and so does the Monaco. Comparison between these three? All three are under $200.
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 05:33 AM

Duh, make that Inn at Harbor Steps (not Market Steps).
Old Dec 14th, 2004, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

You guys have come up with some great hotel choices! - I'll have to kick around which one I really want. I'm kind of surprised no one suggested either of the two large, centrally located downtown hotels: the Westin or the Sheraton Towers, but what do I know?!
Old Dec 14th, 2004, 09:14 AM

Both are aging and have seen better days. Also I think most who gave suggestions are pointing you in the direction of smaller boutique hotels where you get more bang for your buck.
Old Dec 14th, 2004, 09:15 AM

We actually have stayed at the Westin many times when we lived in the area but needed to stay in the city for group events. We were just there over Thanksgiving weekend. The rooms are nice and the last 3 trips there we have had rooms that have been redone, including the bathrooms. Like I said, we have stayed there numberous times and never had a problem. If you decide on this hotel, there are two towers, so be sure to ask for a room that has a view (you don't want to be looking at the other tower).
Old Dec 14th, 2004, 05:16 PM
lovingheart

What are your hotel requirements other than price?

Old Dec 15th, 2004, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

to lovingheart: I've already gotten some great suggestions from people. I was seeking a hotel convenient to most of the major tourist attractions.
Old Dec 15th, 2004, 06:06 PM

We stayed at the Andra in September and really liked it. It replaced another hotel so it was fully refurbished pretty recently.
Our room was modern and large. Some of the rooms even have flat screen tv's on the wall (although ours didn't).
It is an easy walk to the Market or downtown.
There hotel's restaurant is very "in" right now, as is the restaurant across the street (which also has a wonderful bakery).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -