Oregon Coast - Help with what to do and see!

Old Jul 29th, 2004, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oregon Coast - Help with what to do and see!

Hi Guys,

Now that we have the hotel taken care of I need to pick everyone's brain about what to see and do! We'll be driving over from Portland and then heading down 101 ultimately stopping in Depoe Bay for the evening(at the Channel House - we had a bit of a problem finding a place that didn't require a minimum stay). We were planning on going to the Tillamook Cheese Factory, possibly taking the Three Capes scenic drive, and then basically just driving through the various towns and stopping at the visible sites and beaches. I know there are a lot of things that are off the beaten path. Any recommendations on an itinerary for the day would be wonderful. Also, I read a post yesterday and managed to lose it but someone had recommended a place to get great berry pie and picnic items near Tillamook. Also, is it worth driving up to Astoria?

The second day, from Depoe Bay, we might head back to Lincoln City if we ran out of time the day before. Then on to the Aquarium in Newport and the Sea Lion Caves ultimately ending up in North Bend / Coos Bay where we will be for 6 days. I'm from that area originally so we will be doing the standard Cape Arago, Sunset Beach, Horsefall Beach, renting 4-wheelers, crabbing, etc. with a day trip to Bandon.

Thanks a million!
Rachel
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 06:57 PM

Tillamook is kind of fun (North of Depoe Bay) but I also like another place near there (much smaller)www.blueheronoregon.com. that specializes in Brie and has a little farm on site. Lincoln City is not the most scenic place but you can rent boats at Devil's Lake or walk along the bay near Mo's and have some chowder. I think Newport is more fun and the Aquarium is pretty nice. I would not loop back to Lincoln City if you run out of time...

I also always enjoy the sand dunes in Florence --Honeycutt or Honeywell park???

Old Jul 29th, 2004, 09:41 PM

The Three Capes Scenic Drive is well worth the time. Look for Oceanside, a little town off to the right, where you can have a wonderful lunch at Roseanna's Oceanside Cafe and stretch your legs on the beach below. Also stop at the Cape Meares Light House and take the short walk to it (and see the octopus tree, as well). If you have lots of time, the hike out on Cape Lookout is amazing. If you don't, just stop for the photo ops from the turnouts. Our daughter had an awesome revelation looking at the view from Cape Lookout when she was two years old, "The ocean!" she exclaimed, "There's water in it!"

You can go for a walk on the dunes at the southernmost loop - from rain forest at Cape Lookout, to barren sand dunes. What a contrast! It's quite a drive.
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 05:54 AM

Sounds like you're going to be in the car a lot.

I know some folks here are big fans, but we found the Tillmook Cheese Factory a big yawn. Certainly not worth our time.

Enjoyed Oceanside and it's great little restaurant - Roseanna's.
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 06:03 AM

If you go and don't visit some part of the dunes, you've totally missed it.
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 07:31 AM

HI there! Sounds like a fun trip. Yes, the Tillamook Cheese Factory is definitely worth it. Try the pepper jack cheese and the brown cow ice cream, fantastic!

The other cheese factory where you can get picnic supplies may be the Blue Heron, I think Winerycat knows more about this place, maybe she can fill you in about it.

Yes, Astoria is definitely worth a visit. Stop in Manzanita on the way, and then enjoy the gorgeous scenic drive to Cannon Beach. Stroll through the quaint shops and visit Ecola State Park.

Then stop in Seaside and walk the prom and have some fun at the aquarium and the beachy shops there.

In Astoria you will want to visit the Maritime Museum (we know the curator there, so we always get free admission, but I believe it's around $8/pp which includes a film.) Also, Fort Clatsop and the Astor Column are very educational and beautiful views from the column.

Ride the trolley along the riverfront and visit the many antique shops. If you like wine tasting, head over to the Shallon Winery for some very unique wine tasting. If you're into spas, The Columbia River Day Spa is the nicest spa on the Oregon Coast. I just had a two hour pedicure there and it was heavenly!

Also, many great places to eat in Astoria. Fulios, Ship Inn and the Cannery Cafe are all great. Astoria was recently featured in the NYT in March. If you spend the night here, I would recommend Clementine's B&B or the Hotel Elliott which is a luxury boutique hotel. www.hotelelliott.com

The Schooner's 12th Street Bistro, the hotel's signature restaurant is also very good for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Try the sea scallops with linguine there and they have a REALLY nice Sauv Blanc from New Zealand. Any more questions on Astoria, just let me know!

We've had a home there for about twenty years and I have spent most of the summer in that area. ***kim***
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 08:12 AM

I meant to give you a website on Astoria for you to view, www.oldoregon.com ***kim***
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 09:21 PM
Original Poster

The place I had read about in a previous post was the Blue Heron. Kimamom, do you think going to Astoria would work in the day trip? I'm a little concerned about getting from Portland to Depoe Bay in one day. I'm familiar with the area between Newport and Coos Bay/North Bend and how long it will take but I'm unsure of the northern part of the coast. Also, is there a beach on the coast that has sand dollars and shells at low tide?

Thanks again!
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 10:00 AM

Astoria is about thirty minutes from Cannon Beach. It depends how early you leave in the am and what you want to do there. The Mueseum deserves about a couple of hours of your time. You could check the website to see what time they open.

It sounds like a lot for one day. Too bad you can't stay a night in Astoria, then head down the coast to Depoe Bay the next day with stops in Seaside, Cannon Beach, The Blue Heron around Tillamook, then land in Depoe Bay.

The Sunset beach has many sand dollars, one summer my daughter collected 100 sand dollars and painted them. Hike out to Haystack Rock in Cannon Beach and check out the marine life there.

Pick up a copy of the Pelican Post at a Visitor center there or check out Oregon Coast magazine to help you with your planning, also. ***kim***
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 02:54 PM
Original Poster

Hi Kim,

I think we'll have to save Astoria for our next trip. It sounds like there is enough to do to make into a weekend trip. Thanks again for your help! Hopefully Sunset Beach will be a good spot for shells and sand dollars. That's where I used to go as a kid.

-Rachel
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 10:08 AM

Are you talking about the Sunset Beach by Gearhart? We enjoy driving our car on that beach in the evening and watching the sunset! I hope you find your sand dollars and have a great trip!

Half of my family is headed back to the coast next week for a few days to try out our new surfboards! ***kim***
Old Aug 6th, 2004, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Actually, I was talking about the Sunset Beach in Coos Bay out by Cape Arago. It used to be a good shell beach but I haven't been out there at low tide in a long time. I'll have to check out Sunset Beach in Gearheart! Thanks for all the help
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 01:34 PM

You can drive your car on Sunset Beach in Gearhart. It's nice to watch the sunset there! ***kim***
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 02:02 PM
uuhhhh

kimamom: "The Sunset beach has many sand dollars"

Rael81: "Hopefully Sunset Beach will be a good spot for shells and sand dollars"

kimamom: "Are you talking about the Sunset Beach by Gearhart?"

uuhhhh.... I don't know, which one are you talking about?