Carmel/Pacific Grove hotel for family of 5

Feb 16th, 2009, 04:23 AM
Original Poster

Carmel/Pacific Grove hotel for family of 5

I've been reading the posts about recommended hotels near the coast. Lots of beautiful places, but many do not permit 5 per room. For one or two nights in June, can you recommend some places for me to check that are within walking distance to the beach yet allow 5 per room? I would like to see it at $200 (or less) per night with complimentary parking. I have looked at a couple Best Westerns (Monterey Inn) and Comfort Inns both closer to Monterey, I believe.

Thanks!
Feb 16th, 2009, 07:39 AM

we stayed in September at the Hyatt Carmel Highlands in a 1bdr but they have 2 bdr condos with ocean views that would allow 5 people..it is very pricey but maybe you have Hyatt Gold passport points..the beach is across the street..sometimes they offer it as a timeshare option for super cheap!

La Quinta Inn in Monterey you could get 2 rooms..that would work for your budget.
Feb 16th, 2009, 09:18 AM

Check Asilomar. http://www.visitasilomar.com/lodging.aspx
Feb 16th, 2009, 01:08 PM

Click on Highlands Inn, CA. Not sure about the details. We spent a night there for $75 a couple of years ago. Had to attend a painless sales presentation. They even kicked in a voucher for dinner. Don't think you can walk to a swimming beach from this location, but the view is breathtaking.

http://www.hyatt.com/hvc/participation_details.jhtml
Feb 16th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

So far, the beach ones are sold out for my couple of nights. More suggestions, hopefully?

I have not tried the La Quinta but I did put a hold on a Best Western in Monterey. It is Monterey Inn, in case anyone wants to comment.
Feb 16th, 2009, 05:43 PM

Asilomar is really nice. The buildings were designed by Julia Morgan. It is a conference grounds so a number of rooms are large - we often stayed in a room with 4 twin beds with plenty of room for a rollaway. It is beautiful there, includes full breakfast in the dining hall. and you can walk across the street to the beach.
Feb 19th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Asilomar seems to not be available for my date, either. I have a spot on hold at the Holiday Inn Express, Marina, CA. Any comments?
Feb 19th, 2009, 03:15 PM

I'm not familiar with the Holiday Inn Express in Marina, but have you checked out Embassy Suites in Monterey (or is it Seaside)? Their suites might be more comfortable for a family of 5.

Another place people seem to like is Andril Fireplace Cottages in Pacific Grove.
Feb 19th, 2009, 03:51 PM

I would not stay in Marina - it's not that neat of a place, compared to Carmel or Pacific Grove (not a fan of Monterey, but it's better than Marina, IMO). Look for places in Carmel or Pacific Grove if you want "charm" near the water.

Stu Dudley