Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Carmel or Mont. Hotel w/ a view.... (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/carmel-or-mont-hotel-w-a-view-520973/)

edburn3 Apr 13th, 2005 01:32 PM

Carmel or Mont. Hotel w/ a view....

Hi there. I am looking for a nice room in either Carmel or Monterey that has a good view of the ocean. I have contacted Tradewinds ($325), La Playa ($275), and Tickle Pink ($289). We are only staying in this area one night before we go to SF. Are these rates high for a Tues. night in April. Anyone have other suggestions for rooms w/ a view? Thanks

youngtom2910 Apr 13th, 2005 02:38 PM

you might try highland's inn

not a lot of cheap places in that area with a view

sarahjaneb Apr 13th, 2005 02:42 PM

Try the Monterey Plaza hotel and the Spindrift Inn both in Cannery Row. Although it is quite a touristy area the prices are not as high the properties are nice.

makai1 Apr 13th, 2005 07:46 PM

Love love love the Tickle Pink Inn... view can't be beat. Enjoy!

kimamom Apr 14th, 2005 07:00 PM

We've stayed at the Plaza, Spindrift, Highland's and Tickle Pink. All have beautiful ocean views. :)

You might want to check out the website at La Playa, they are offering some nice packages. We're staying there next month. ***kim*** ((l))

moneygirl Apr 15th, 2005 06:39 AM

I would choose La Playa if you are only going to be in town one night. YOu r time is so limited that of you stay at Tickle Pink or in Monterey, you will not have much time for Carmel. The spring flowers in the garden at LP will be breathtaking and the weather has been nice at the coast. They have a room (I think it is 426, you could ask) which has two large windows that look over both the gardens and have an ocean view as well. Good luck.

kimamom Apr 15th, 2005 02:45 PM

moneygirl, are the rooms nice at La Playa? We're booked under the Wine Country package which includes a King/Oceanview room. I've heard they are small and outdated.

We recently stayed at the Sonoma Mission Inn where I heard similar complaints, but we loved our room there in the Heritage section. It was small, but very pretty with a wall of windows that overlooked the gorgeous mineral pool. I can't wait to see this hotel! ***kim*** ((#))

moneygirl Apr 15th, 2005 08:19 PM

It's true that La Playa is an older, historic hotel. It is not shiny new or modern at all, but it seems timeless to me and I have always been happy staying there. (Kimamom:I think you will be happy with your king room with a view! Make sure you post and let us know!)

kimamom Apr 18th, 2005 01:48 PM

Will do, moneygirl! I'm anticipating great things from La Playa. Have you been to either Wickets or Marinus at the Bernardus Lodge? We'll be touring the Carmel Valley wineries and I would like to have dinner here at one of these places. Bouchee is planned for Carmel, so Wickets (casual) might be nice the second night. ***kim*** ((l))

bodi Apr 20th, 2005 07:34 PM

Hi Kim, I had lunch and room service while staying at Bernardus and much prefer lunch and dining at the Quail Lodge. The service in all departments were poor at Bernardus, and the food was so average. The Quail I have always found to be excellent service and cuisine, never disappointed.
What do you know about Monterey's Portola Plaza Hotel?

kimamom Apr 21st, 2005 09:11 AM

Thanks for the tip! I haven't stayed at Portola Plaza Hotel, we like the Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa there. Do you have any opinions on Bouchee? It's booked for my birthday dinner next month. ***kim*** ((#))

sunbum1944 Apr 21st, 2005 09:32 AM

I've stayed at the Highlands Inn in Carmel - very nice- great views-