Reload this Page >

Carmel, California, Artichokes and Garlic

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 08:10 AM
Ms Q

We will be flying to San Jose in the fall. Driving down to Carmel. Would like to make stops along the way. Gilroy cute place to stop? (home of garlic!), Castroville, land of giant artichoke?

Other "neat" places to stop en route? And not too "out of the way"?

How about central coast wine country?

Many thanks.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 08:34 AM
xxx

If you like to shop, Gilroy is your place as it has a very large outlet mall. If you want garlic items, you can go to Garlic World.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 09:00 AM
xxx

The Central Coast wineries are my favorite. Far less crowded and great quality.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 09:20 AM
kam

The Gilroy Garlic Festival is the third weekend in July so unfortunately (or fortunately) you'll miss that. There are still lots of stands that sell garlic braids etc. San Juan Bautista is right in the area on route 156 east (you'll take 156 west to get to Carmel) It's a very pretty little mission with an old fashioned restored town plaza. All of the little restaurants on the main street serve great Mexican food, little shops and a place to walk around. Much nicer that stopping for lunch in Gilroy which is pretty commericial. Gives you a bit of insight into California history. Some very good wineries in the Central Coast especially as you get down toward Sta. Barbara. Chateau Julien in Carmel Valley is very nice--bring a picnic and eat on their pretty patio. There is a John Steinbeck exhibition in Salinas where he was born. In Monterey on Cannery Row there is "A Taste of Monterey" where you can taste Monterey Co. wines for a small fee while looking out at the otters in the bay.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 10:06 AM
Kim

Don't miss the "Giant Artichoke" in Castroville. I also like San Juan Bautista for lunch or a stroll.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 11:35 AM
David

In addition to the Giroy outlets and San Juan Bautista, the Steinbeck Museum in Salinas is also worth a visit(www.steinbeck.org). On your way back to San Jose, I would suggest taking Highway 1 north toward Santa Cruz and 17 north into San Jose for a more scenic drive through the Santa Cruz Mountains. I would not advise driving 17 north into the city on a weekday morning due to the commute traffic.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 12:46 PM
Les

Holtville, the Carrot Capital of the World!

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 01:00 PM
Belinda

Gilroy is hardly a cute town. The stands just off the freeway offer you the opportunity to buy garlic items. If you blink while you're going through Castroville you will miss it. But the suggestion to see San Juan Bautista is a good one. It is a cute town with a pretty mission and historical buildings.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 01:06 PM
kam

Everytime I take out of towners down to Gilroy to outlet shop, I insist on a quick trip over to St. Juan Bautista for a walk around and Mexican lunch. Many times that is the highlight of the day rather than Gilroy and outlets. There's a stand in Castroville that sells deep fried artichokes---by the bag but you risk serious heart clogging. They are sooooo good though.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 01:43 PM
DV

Sorry to disagree with everyone else, but hard to believe the outlet mall in Gilroy is worth a trip - definitely worth stopping in San Juan Bautista. A better trip, is to take a slightly longer trip - up 280, cut over on 92 to Half Moon Bay and drive down the coastline. Worth taking a walk through the downtown and then stopping in at the little town of Pescadero for Artichoke soup at Duarte's Tavern (home of the Sunset Magazine recipe). Kind of our of your way, but a great drive - you'll miss the garlic but also miss an hour of suburban sprawl south of San Jose.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 02:27 PM
J Correa

I live in San Jose and grew up in the Santa Cruz area. I would skip Gilroy completely. Don't get me wrong, I like Gilroy, but it's not exactly picturesque. San Juan Bautista is nice, but got directly to the coast instead. It's absolutely beautiful there.

If you have a little time, take 280 north to 92 west over to Half Moon Bay. Then take 1 south through Santa Cruz to Carmel.

If you don't have the time to go up to Half Moon Bay, from San Jose, take Hwy 17 through the mountains and over to Santa Cruz. Then take Hwy 1 south to Carmel.

Both are beautiful drives. If you have time, stop in Half Moon Bay, Santa Cruz, and Capitola. They are really nice places.

As for Castroville, there isn't a darn thing in that town except the stand with the giant artichoke.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 05:08 PM
kam

DV has a good suggestion. But I would take 84 (Woodside Road) from 280 to the coast. Do stop at Duarte's Tavern if at all possible for the artichoke soup. Out of this world. We make special trips over there for it! It will take you a bit out of your way, but not too bad and you'll get a feel for the Santa Cruz Mtns. and the pretty redwoods. Farther south Capitola and Aptos are pretty towns.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 07:47 PM
Betsy

Follow that artichoke soup at Duarte's with a piece of blackberry pie. Sublime.

We love Phil's Fish Market and Eatery in Moss Landing. It's off Rt. 1, south of Watsonville. Turn right into Moss Landing, where you'll see Phil's deli/sandwich shop on your left. Drive on by this and turn right in a few yards at the only intersection in Moss Landing. Cross the one-lane bridge, pass the Marine Center on your left and the next property on your left is Phil's. Super casual, concrete floors, walk up to the counter to order...great seafood! Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Don't miss it.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 01:59 PM
J Correa

Phil's in Moss Landing is excellent. Whenever we want clam chowder, that's where we go. I will drive down from San Jose specifically for the chowder if I have a craving.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 02:25 PM
kam

I usually take 156 to hwy 1 to get to Carmel. Next time I'm going to take 152 to Watsonville and stop for clam chowder! Is Moss Landing north or south of the actual town of Watsonville?

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 01:58 PM
J Correa

Most Landing is south of Watsonville. HWY 152 is a great road from Gilroy to Watsonville - east of Gilroy it's not so scenic. Hwy 152 takes you through the strawberry fields in Watsonville, so if you go in the summertime, be sure to stop at a fruit stand and buy some berries. If you've never had Watsonville strawberries, you are in for a treat.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 03:33 PM
kam

Is 152 through Watsonville four lanes? Don't know how we started going the 156 route because it narrows down when you leave 101 and can be about 5 miles of bumper to bumper. I have a neighbor who swears by going 152 through Watsonville. Will try it next time. I don't like to go over on 17 because then you get stuck in all the Santa Cruz stuff. When they finally get 101 widened that will help a lot. One other suggestion for the original poster is to take hwy 9 from Saratoga up over the hill to 236 ( I think) and visit Big Basin State Redwood Park. Much more impressive than Muir Woods. Then continue down west on 9 and you'll be right at hwy 1. The Big Basin is near the town of Boulder Creek. This drive is NOT for carsick prone individuals or little kids in the back seats. Gorgeous woods though--cool and quiet, very few tourists.You could get a picnic lunch in Los Gatos or Saratoga before starting up. Or, you can eat at the bottom at the Cash Store in Davenport.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 03:39 PM
Susan

If you have kids, go the 156 route through Gilroy and spend the day at Bonfante Gardens, a sweet amusement park with wonderful gardens.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 10:44 AM
J Correa

No, 152 through Watsonville is NOT 4 lanes. 152 over Mount Madonna is a windy 2 lane mountain road. It's in very good condition though and doesn't have a lot of traffic like 156. I have never been bumper to bumper on it and I have driven over 152 literally hundreds of times. Once you get over the mountain, 152 takes you through the strawberry fields, through Watsonville and out to HWY 1.

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 06:38 PM
NatureBoy

Another idea for you is to check out the redwoods... From SJC go towards Santa Cruz via HWY 9 and then SR 236 to Big Basin Redwoods Park. Beautiful and serene. Afterwards keep going to Santa Cruz and connect to HWY 1 South towards Carmel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -