Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Carmel-by-the Sea restaurants recommendations, please (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/carmel-by-the-sea-restaurants-recommendations-please-308492/)

DebitNM Feb 20th, 2008 01:53 PM

Carmel-by-the Sea restaurants recommendations, please

Our plans have changed and we will now be in the area for 2 days/nights.

We are staying in Pacific Grove at Seven Gables.

We have reservations for our first night at Passionfish.

I am looking for a place for second night.

I am considering the following:
L'escargot
Christophers on Lincoln
Bouchée Restaurant

California, Mediteranean, Seafood are all okay. Price isn't as much an issue as is a great meal. {We gave up Cyrus reservations in Healdsburg to do this, so want an equally nice meal in Carmel}.

Your input on the above restaurants as well as suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks in advance.
Deb

BeachGirl247 Feb 21st, 2008 06:10 AM

ttt
(bookmarking for later)

El_Swainer Feb 21st, 2008 08:58 AM

I have not been to the 3 places on your list but I have eaten at Portabella a few times and enjoyed it very much.

http://www.carmelsbest.com/portabella/

TTess Feb 21st, 2008 09:31 AM

Go to mid-valley, to Carmel Valley Ranch. Dine at Citronelle. You'll have to make a reservation ASAP. Amazing, amazing!

If you want to stay downtown, then, Christopher's would be my pick. You'll need a reservation there, too.

Guys, I forgot to tell you that Billy Quon Lee opened another restaurant. It's in Carmel Valley Village and it's called Billy Quon's Volcano Grill and Mai Tai Bar http://www.volcano-grill.com/home.html Billy and Teresa are friends of ours. We got to tour before and after the opening, last week - it's beautiful, vibrant and fun! It's worth the drive to the village. ((D))

kimamom Feb 21st, 2008 04:37 PM

Bouchee is very good, my favorite "wow" factor restaurant in Carmel remains to be the Pacific's Edge at the Highland's Inn, amazing food, service and ambiance here. :)

If you are ever in the Big Sur area, Sierra Mar @ the Post Ranch Inn also is outstanding. Enjoy your trip, too bad you had to give up Cyrus, it also is one of our favorite restaurants in CA. ***kim*** ((f))

DebitNM Feb 21st, 2008 04:42 PM

Pacific Edge was full and the prices seems really high, even to me. I know the views are great there.
Deb

TrvlMaven Feb 21st, 2008 06:16 PM

I just returned from Pacific Grove this past weekend (see my trip report). There were six of us and the best meal we had was Saturday night at Fandango--right in Pacific Grove. The restaurant is quite charming, the food amazing and the wine prices very reasonable. The service was top-notch and there are lots of nooks and crannies that break up the noise. We all decided we can't wait to return!

R_Mondavi Feb 21st, 2008 07:16 PM

eat with the locals at Christophers. great food & excellent dining house!

TTess Feb 21st, 2008 07:19 PM

Pacific's Edge was yesterday's news a few years ago. If you must fo, just go for a drink and the view.

Fandango is good but way overpriced for the quality. Plus, you don't have any views and you'll be in PG, not Carmel, as you desired.

SAB Mar 5th, 2008 07:18 PM

Deb--Follow Tess's recommendations, she steered me to Christopher's and was right on. Citronelle looks fabulous (although beyond my usual dining out price point!!)

GSTRDR Mar 5th, 2008 08:16 PM

Was just at Citronelle as it just opened,not nearly as good as Marinus at Bernardus Lodge. If you want a meal close to that of Cyus I would go to Marinus at the Bernardus Lodge or L'Auberge. Bouchee is good along with Flying Fish Grill.
I agree with Pacific Edge being not as good as it used to be.
Will

xkenx Mar 6th, 2008 06:39 AM

L'Escargot is intimate, charming, wonderful French food, fresh ingredients, expertly prepared by owner-chef. Casanova, around the corner is a long-time favorite, aldo intimate and charming, French/Italian/Mediterranean cooking. Never disappointed in some 30 years.

TTess Mar 6th, 2008 10:13 AM

GSTDR - have you tried the club restaurant at CVR? Much better than Marinus any day.

TTess Mar 6th, 2008 11:13 AM

Thanks Sab! We've only been to two private parties at Citronelle with passed hors d'oeuvres. We haven't actually sat down for a meal. Friends from D.C. and Santa Barbara say it's amazing. I can't imagine it being otherwise.

GSTRDR Mar 6th, 2008 12:37 PM

No I haven't Ttess. I am routing for Citronelle to do well. I think not having chef Michael Richard in the kitchen won't help matters in the long run. You sound like a valley girl Ttess :)

Will

TTess Mar 6th, 2008 02:05 PM

Just a lil' ol' Carmel girl who loves to dine out and socialize, GSTRDR ((D)) Are you from the peninsula, too?

GSTRDR Mar 6th, 2008 05:30 PM

My wife and I are planning to move to Carmel in the near future. We live outside New York now. Your very lucky to have grown up there.
Please call me Will Ttess.

TTess Mar 6th, 2008 09:00 PM

Will, I'm a CA native but didn't grow up on the peninsula. I'm here because my husband and I refuse to live anywhere else!

TTess Mar 6th, 2008 09:00 PM

By the way, I don't blame you for wanting to move here. It's pure heaven.

GSTRDR Mar 6th, 2008 09:05 PM

I know Ttess, thats why we are moving there.
We are coming back out in early May and early June.
Will