Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Carlsbad Caverns Tours - Which Is Best For Kids?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2007, 01:15 PM
chc
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family of six (Mom, Dad and four kids ages 12, 10 and twin 7 year olds) are visiting Carlsbad Caverns this summer on a road trip. We intend to do some of the self-guided tours, but I would also like to take the kids on either the Slaughter Canyon Cave tour or the Left Hand Tunnel tour. Any opinions on these two tours? Thanks.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 05:18 AM

Go to nps.gov & check the age restrictions on the various guided tours. There also may be scheduling issues b/c they are not offered that often. My daughter was 10 last year & we just self-toured the Big Room. BUT, we did go thru the Natural Entrance instead of the elevator & that was a major highlight. Have fun!
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 09:16 AM

If your time is limited, rather than do a tour, go in by the Natural Entrance.

The impact of the caverns is much greater if you walk in, rather than just pop out of the elevator in the middle of the caverns.

The Park service does all it can to discourage people going that way - making it sound like as if it was extreme. But it is an easy walk that can be done at your own pace.

Keith
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 03:40 PM
chc
Original Poster

Thank you very much for the good feedback. We definitely intend to do the Natural Entrance tour as you both suggested. The other two tours I mentioned (Slaughter Canyon Cave tour and the Left Hand Tunnel tour) allow kids 6 and over and I think my crew would enjoy getting to use a lantern or flashlight as they explore an unlit cavern as each of these tours offer. I am just trying to decide on the better option. Thanks.