Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Carlsbad/Albuquerque Food/Lodging recommendations?

Old Oct 8th, 2009, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A portion of our trip will be from Carlsbad Caverns to Albuquerque possibly with a brief stop in Roswell.

For meals, we like to explore the local cuisines. We like mom and pop, one of a kind type of place.

For Lodging, all it needs is a clean bed, a bathroom and air/heat if the weather is severe in that area. We are more interested in the scenery outside than the decor of the room or amenities offered. Small towns near the attractions are fine.

Any recommendations? Also what are the worthwhile attractions in Roswell? (we will not stay overnight, just pass through) Thanks!
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 02:01 PM

Please don't think I am stalking you -- I also lived in ABQ and still have a home there, so here is some info:

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...tnms-picks.cfm

There are lots of places to stay, B&B's to motels etc. Depends on your price range.

Deb
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 04:08 PM

Do not stay @ White's City near the entrance to the caverns. It is terrible. Do not eat there either.
Old Oct 9th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much!
Old Oct 9th, 2009, 12:11 PM

I stayed at the Days Inn in Carlsbad two years ago. At that time the room was clean and had a fridge and microwave. The location at the south end of Carlsbad was very convenient for the drive to the caverns. Since it has been a couple of years, I checked Tripadvisor and the reviews are all over the place - although I found a couple of the negative reviews ridiculous.

I agree with spirobulldog about White's City. It looked like a dump.

I can't recommend any restaurants, because we packed a cooler for the one day we were in Carlsbad. The food choices seemed limited, so I recommend at least having a cooler with sandwich makings.

It is hard to say if a stop in Roswell is worthwhile. My family visited the UFO Museum. I thought it was really dopey, but at the same time slightly entertaining, mainly because my sci-fi loving sons were along.

I really enjoyed the caverns and hope you do too.
Old Oct 9th, 2009, 01:01 PM

Try this link on nearly identical topic. It's 2 years old, but should be helpful. With the Holiday Inn Express in Carlsbad now open, it is likely the best choice.

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...re-to-stay.cfm