Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Caribbean Resort at Sea Isle, Islamorada PLEASE HELP (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/caribbean-resort-at-sea-isle-islamorada-please-help-179831/)

Jan Mar 23rd, 2002 05:26 PM

Caribbean Resort at Sea Isle, Islamorada PLEASE HELP

I have jsut read 2 posts regarding this resort. One was good and the other so so. If anyone has stayed there please provide the negatives and positives about it. We are scheduled to go the end April 2002. W e do not need fancy but want a clean room with a kitchen, a beach to snorkel and kayak from and a pier for fishing. This seemed to fit our bill with a good price, being that it is between the Moorings and Cheeca Lodge. THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP!

Mike Mar 23rd, 2002 05:30 PM

Jan, try posting this on the Caribbean Forum if you do not get the response you are hoping to get here on the US Forum.

JAN Mar 23rd, 2002 05:48 PM

CARIBBEAAN RESORT AT SEA ISLE IS IN THE USA, ON ISLAMORADA IN THE FLORIDA KEYS.<BR> <BR>THANKS ANYWAY.

jess Mar 23rd, 2002 06:04 PM

If you are not hearing much about it, there probbaly is not much to write about it. Pick something else.

tommy Mar 23rd, 2002 06:13 PM

You could also try other boards and forums.

x Mar 24th, 2002 08:29 AM

Jan-I have never heard of the place and I have been going down to the Keys for years. If you are looking for a decent, not too expensive place to stay on Islamaroda try the Hampton Inn or the Chesapeake Resort. The end of April is still considered high season, but it is a slow week. Call the hotels directly and try to negotiate a rate with them.

Jan Mar 26th, 2002 06:28 AM

Thanks for your help everyone! I did find some info re Sea Isle in Islamorada. It is recommended by Fodors and one post on this site who walked the grounds and spoke with the owners says it is a little "hidden secret" and that they will stay there their next trip to the keys "if they can get in". It is situated on the ocean between Cheeca Lodge and The Moorings and right next to Cheeca Lodge Golf course and the Islander. It does look nice and the beach extends from the Moorings to Cheeca. Any other input is still welcome. Thanks again!!

x Mar 26th, 2002 06:46 AM

Just because it is recommended by Fodors doesn't mean much IMO. I have seen other recommended hotels by Fodors that were given poor ratings here by posters. There are alot of people here that go to the Keys and no one has either heard of the place or stayed there, what does that tell you? If it was a great place to stay I would think more people would have stayed there....

Check Mar 26th, 2002 08:37 AM

You did the right scheduling for this place. There is noting wrong with it. It might be a little small but that should keep you from going. Its very clean & the owners know how to take care of the place & there guests. You won't disappointed just because of the budget you have.

Mike Mar 31st, 2002 11:39 AM

Jan, I've also seen references about Sea Isle and had some problems locating solid information about their place. I trust (some) the posts here from folks that have Keys experience; these will be a good guide to start. I would encourage you to consider "Casa Morada" - ask for Chris- great location, excellent rooms and facilities, great service, and quiet. <BR>Cheers, Mike

linda Mar 31st, 2002 11:46 AM

One of the moderators on the traveltalkonline board was a travel writer.He said that they are given the royal treatment in places in hopes of being given good reviews, and that many have come to expect it. He said he worked for a MAJOR company. The resorts know who the writers are. I would get some info from the books, then double-check with the travel forums.

jersey Apr 7th, 2002 04:35 PM

Another suggestion is to check the Mobil Travel Guides. They are online, or go to the library and checkout the 2002 edition for that area. We have used their suggestions for many years. Especially the ones that suggestion - to check it out for a good value for the money. It also rates restaurants ibn the area. It is helpful.

Mary Beth Apr 7th, 2002 04:50 PM

I am so glad to see this post. I am debating about places to stay in Islamorada as well. One of my top choice, if not the top choice, is The Caribbean Resort at Sea Isle. It looks absolutely beautiful. Hard to find any reviews. I called the Chamber in Islamorada and they recommended it along with a few others. I think that there will be too many people at Cheeca - kind of touristy. Same thing with Chesapeake Resort and Pelican Cove. I am also researching Lime Tree Bay Resort, Pines and Palms, Coral Bay Resort. Coral Bay doesn't look quite as nice as Caribbean on the website, but it too was recommended by the Chamber. Let me know how you do. I am anxious to make my reservations, and I keep looking on this site for any responses:)

xxx Apr 8th, 2002 05:08 AM

For something to be recommended by the Chamber they only need to be members and pay their dues. It doesn't mean anything more or less. Take it at face value.

Jan Apr 8th, 2002 07:12 AM

MANY THANKS for all your help and suggestions!!<BR><BR>Well, we have decided to stay at the Caribbean Resort at Sea Isle in one of the ocean view villas for $110 per night. This fits our budget and has all that we want for fishing and snorkeling and a kitchen. Besides, it is for 5 nights, not a lifetime.<BR><BR>I know many of you are skeptical when you can't find solid info here, but, I planned a month in Italy and did all our reservations online and had great results. Since we were not in our room much, we did not need fancy, just clean and good locations. All our accomodations were outstanding and because of the price we stayed for 4 weeks rather than 2 in big hotels. We really got the real feel for the real people this way too. <BR>I will let you know how our trip to the keys goes. <BR>Thanks to all of you again!

val Oct 7th, 2002 10:07 AM

I am looking to stay at this resort in april 2003. would love to hear what you thought of it. we have 3 children. thanks