Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   car service recommendation LGA to Manhattan hotel (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/car-service-recommendation-lga-to-manhattan-hotel-870668/)

JamilaZ Dec 23rd, 2010 06:33 PM

car service recommendation LGA to Manhattan hotel

Can anyone recommend a good car service from LGA to manhattan hotel? I am seeing golden class limo and lincoln limosine for $32 and 35 respectively plus 20% gratuity and tolls.

Everyone time I have landed in LGA, there is always a line for the cabs. This trip I will have a young child with me and it will be evening so I would like someone to meet us inside the airport with a sign. Please advise. thanks.

travelbuff Dec 23rd, 2010 09:23 PM

Try dial7.com anf Carmel (dob't know the web address. Both are good and there might be a discount coupon on one. The price you are seeing is just about right to manhattan, and don't forget the tolls the tunnel or the bridge, although if you ask the driver will take you over the 59th St bridge and there's no toll.

millie2112 Dec 24th, 2010 01:07 AM

I have just returned from NYC and used Dial 7. Service was excellent.

starrs Dec 24th, 2010 04:48 AM

I use Carmel.

nytraveler Dec 24th, 2010 05:33 AM

I use either Carmel of Dial 7 . BUT - what you are asking for is "meet and greet" service - which is going to cost more. Typically these services tell you to call them when you arrive and they will THEN send a driver - who you will pull up outside and you go to met them.

If you want them to meet you inside with a sign they will definitely charge more - and you will then have to either 1) trek with them out to the garage where they have parked the car (man be quite a walk) or 2) wait outside whlle they go to get the car and drive it around the airport to get back to where you are waiting.

Frankly, I think grabbing a cab - the line is rarely longer than 5 minutes or so - is easier. And will be cheaper than "meet and greet".

J62 Dec 24th, 2010 06:06 AM

With the regular call-then-find-your-car service it can be a real pain to find the right car among the dozens or 100's other car service cars. All black Lincolns start to look alike after a while, especially at night.

J62 Dec 24th, 2010 06:13 AM

Sorry - hit submit too soon. In my experience LGA is more difficult to find the car service Lincoln compared to other airports. The crowded central terminal (AA, UA, & others ex. Delta and USAir) is particularly hard, so I second NYT's recommendation on using a cab, even if there is a line.

doug_stallings Dec 24th, 2010 12:09 PM

I've been flying in and out of LGA for 20 years, and I have never waited more than 10 minutes for a taxi, and more often considerably less. I'd never take a car service FROM LaGuardia into Manhattan, and it's generally considerably more expensive than a taxi in any case (depending on where you're going, of course).

mclaurie Dec 24th, 2010 12:26 PM

If you want a car with a driver who meets you inside with a sign, do NOT use dial7 or carmel. That's not what they do well. You should also NOT use Lincoln Limo who have scores of terrible reviews online. http://www.yelp.com/biz/lincoln-limousine-astoria

For what you want, booking something blind with no recommendation based on price is foolish. You will pay much more for it, but I recommend strusserslimousineservice.com who will quote a price including everything-tip, toll, parking and any wait time. The driver will be waiting for you.

sf7307 Dec 24th, 2010 04:02 PM

<<<Sorry - hit submit too soon. In my experience LGA is more difficult to find the car service Lincoln compared to other airports. The crowded central terminal (AA, UA, & others ex. Delta and USAir) is particularly hard, so I second NYT's recommendation on using a cab, even if there is a line.>>>

I completely agree with this -- it's a pain at LGA (much much better organized at JFK)

JamilaZ Dec 24th, 2010 06:27 PM

lots of good info. cab it shall be. thanks.