Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Car rental Vegas (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/car-rental-vegas-588935/)

tdelano Feb 7th, 2006 07:17 AM

Car rental Vegas

Is there a car rental company in the Las Vegas airport that is more convenient? I see that some say "shuttle to car" and others don't...

vegasnative Feb 7th, 2006 07:21 AM

I think they all shuttle to their lots, but most are on the airport property. With the exception to Alamo and I believe Enterprise, they are about a 5-10 minute shuttle drive from the airport.

lynclarke Feb 18th, 2006 04:21 AM

Don't forget US rent-a-car. We just got back. We rented a full sized car Fri-Mon for $84. You grab your paperwork at the US rent-a-car desk by the baggage claim area, the shuttle bus picks you up outside of the baggage claim area ( we waited maybe 5 minutes) they take you directly to the rental place on Paradise,and in two minutes you are off. The return was also easy. The outside guy checks your gas and he will file your papers for you. Again, we waited less than 5 minutes for the return bus. Lyn Clarke

tracys2cents Feb 18th, 2006 07:12 AM

Avis, Hertz, Thrifty and Dollar are close to the airport and make for an easier return, but all of them are pretty efficient even Budget and Alamo/National which are a longer shuttle drive.
Dollar seems to add more "fees" to the base price than some of the others do, so check your total price not just the base rate.

mrwunrfl Feb 18th, 2006 09:45 AM

I recently rented an Avis car at LAS and drove it to the Hilton and back. It was about 9 miles, total. I stopped for gas expecting to pump $1 of gas and it kept going, to $4.00 when I realized that wasn't right.

The guy who checks-in the car asked me if I put gas in and when I said yes he asked to see the receipt. That is when I learned that Avis at LAS charges $7.00 for gas for short-mileage rentals assuming that the renters didn't put gas in it.

I kept the receipt because this was Las Vegas and I was expecting some kind of scam. He took the $7 charge off along with an additional $3.50 or so.

Postal Feb 18th, 2006 01:45 PM

I had this experience in Alaska, too. I don't think rental cars anywhere are ever really full when you rent them. In Alaska, the car dropped below "F" in the first five miles and I immediately filled up for $9. When I returned the car, they took the $9 off my price.

gambling_girl Feb 21st, 2006 12:44 PM

If you don't mind taking cab or shuttle to your hotel, you can also rent cars at some of the hotels. Often we take a cab to the hotel when we arrive late at night, rent the car at the hotel the next day and drop the car back at the car rental shuttle office when we go home. It saves the hassle of getting a car at midnight when we arrive and saves the hassle of parking and hauling our luggage from the hotel garage up to the room.

mrwunrfl Feb 21st, 2006 10:46 PM

I rented the car in Vegas because I was tired of taxi driver scams. gambling_girl, I think I will use your tip next month in D.C.

smneale Feb 22nd, 2006 01:12 PM

Last year, May 2005, I picked up a car from National rental. Very, Very long wait in line (45 minutes).
I'd recommend a place close to airport, or near a hotel (as recommended above).