Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Car rental: SUV/4WD or regular car? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/car-rental-suv-4wd-or-regular-car-325404/)

momwithkids Jun 8th, 2003 04:00 PM

Car rental: SUV/4WD or regular car?

We are traveling to Alaska this July. Our itinerary is Anchorage, Denali, Talkeetna, Girdwood, Seward and back to Anchorage. I will be driving with my 2 young children, so I want to make sure we are safe and comfortable as I have read that some of these roads can be rough. Are we better off renting an SUV/4WD vehicle, or is a regular car OK? I am considering driving through Hatcher Pass because it sounds nice, but it's not a requirement.

Thanks!

smp916 Jun 8th, 2003 04:43 PM

Hi, there. I was in Alaska a few weeks ago, and drove to almost all of the places you had on your list--we just missed Talkeetna. : ( We rented a mid sized sedan--it was perfect for three adults. One thing you have to consider if you rent an SUV is how well people in the back seat can see. We actually turned down an SUV because the rear seat did not lend itself to good viewing. Just something to keep in mind. Have a great trip!

lila5583 Jun 8th, 2003 04:51 PM

I am trying to decide on a midsize vs full size for 4 adults. Is there enough room for the luggage in the trunk? Someone told me that a mid size trunk is bigger than a full size trunk.
Anyone know?

akvisnet Jun 8th, 2003 04:54 PM

Beautiful response smp!

Mom, whichever suits your needs is the one that is best. The roads you are discussing, with the exception of Hatchers Pass are all paved and in decent condition (save the neverending construction/maintanence of summer.)

Once again, and for the same reason, I recommend Affordable Car Rental because they show lattitude with where they will allow their vehicles. So, if you want to try one of the off-the-beaten-tracks you do it with permission. They are reached easily at [email protected]

For the record, I drive a 1987 Subaru wagon that is held together with duct tape and fishing line and it navigates the state just fine. In fact, if you see me up around Denali, I've a broken headlight and tail light, be sure to wave. Nevermind that I just described EVERY 1987 Subaru around here.....we all wave.

momwithkids Jun 9th, 2003 07:58 AM

smp916 and akvisnet : Thank you for your replies. It will be cheaper to rent a car vs an SUV, so you've been very helpful! Is Affordable located at the airport or in downtown Anchorage?

akvisnet: Don't see too many 1987 Suburu's here in Massachusetts (not that I've been looking!), but I'll look for yours when we're at Denali. Hopefully the amazing scenery won't take my eyes too much off the road!

BudgetQueen Jun 10th, 2003 06:16 AM

I've gotten all around Alaska in compact and economy cars, including my recent March trip loaded with ice. :) Verify insurance coverage if you go on Hatcher. Mine would not cover it and I ended up having to purchase the waiver offered by the car rental company. Many companies will not allow driving on this road. As for the Alaska highways- they are well paved, well maintained and similar to anyone road.

akvisnet Jun 11th, 2003 01:09 AM

Well, the scenery is amazing statewide. Designating an area as a National Park is man's thing. But, the coastline, mountains, animals, and plant life don't seem to be so limited. The truth is, there are many, many places I prefer to Denali....primarily those with the beatiful scenery of me catching fish. :-)