Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Car rental question (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/car-rental-question-347494/)

billyb68 Apr 21st, 2008 03:54 PM

Car rental question

ok, dont know where this question belongs but here goes...
i will be renting a car in denver, and dropping it off in vegas...well, the price double due to a 1 way rental..here is my question...
if i get to denver and they want to give me a car or upgrade that is liscensed in nevada, actually vegas, can i argur w them about the 1 way price???
afterall, i am bringing the car home to its origional location...
any help would be great,,, thx, bill

maria_so Apr 21st, 2008 03:56 PM

it's a good thought but i seriously doubt it.

dmlove Apr 21st, 2008 04:00 PM

It's irrelevant where the car is registered. They can charge whatever they want.

NorthwestMale Apr 21st, 2008 04:00 PM

No, don't waste your time.

But dooooooooo consider getting your car in Denver and making a FAST trip to Vegas, dropping-off the one-way, getting a DIFFERENT CAR with a new and unique reservation, and then back-tracking for whatever touristy sightseeing you had in mind.

This way the huge $$$-per-day hit is reduced, and you can continue your trip at a more moderate rate.

Of course you'll suggest that the logistics make it impossible... which is true in some cases... but at times it can be worth the sacrifice... and you can put the savings toward the high cost of GAS.

nytraveler Apr 21st, 2008 04:11 PM

They probably won;t do it but it never hurts to ask. We've had drop off charges waived twice in europe when we took a car back to it's home country - both times by Hertz.

NeoPatrick Apr 21st, 2008 06:36 PM

What northwestmale is talking about, if you're confused, is that most car rental companies no longer do a single drop off fee. Instead they just raise the daily price for a car that is being used for a one way rental. So if you dump the car when you get to your destination, you save those days of use there with the much higher per day charge.

We had rented a cheap car from Los Angeles to Las Vegas once, but they "upgraded" us to a Lincoln towncar. When I said I didn't want that gas-guzzling upgrade, they said I really didn't have a choice as it was the only Nevada car they had and they needed it to go back there. They wouldn't reduce our original contract price, however. You really are at their mercy. I've never had much luck "wheeling and dealing" on car rentals at the desk, other than getting free upgrades.

billyb68 Apr 22nd, 2008 10:56 AM

wow, thx for the help... NEOPATRICK, thats exactly what i was looking for...so they MADE you take the lincoln??? i guess we are at their mercy...when i went to az. 4 years ago alamo tried to upgrade me from a standard suv to a ford gas guzzeling expedition/7 passenger.altho there were only 3 of us....gas was high back then also,,,i told them i would take it off their hands for 9 days for a $300 credit to pay for the gas....they declined...oh well,,,,i guess they thought they had a sucker....hah can u name the rental company that made u take the lincoln??? NORTHWESTMALE...yes, that is what im doing...im going a week earlier (w 3 kids) than the rest of the family and taking a week to get to vegas..then in vegas i drop off the 1 way compact and pick up a caravan...

NeoPatrick Apr 22nd, 2008 11:10 AM

It was Dollar that made me take the Lincoln. I'm not sure that any other company wouldn't have done the same thing -- with one Nevada car in the lot that needed to get back to Nevada.

Meanwhile I once had reserved an economy car for just the two of us -- with Avis -- also at LAX, but not a one way. When we arrived they upgraded us to a huge 7 or more passenger van. I wasn't happy. That's all they had, so again we had to take it. But they let me go back the next day and exchange it, thankfully. Still it was a pain to have to do that.