Search

Over the Rockies in the Winter!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2011, 07:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Over the Rockies in the Winter!

Hey everyone!
I have to travel from Eastern South Dakota to Boise, Idaho in the middle of February. I'm driving an F250 pulling an 18' cargo trailer (loaded). I'm wondering whether I should pass over the Rockies in Southern Montana or in Southern Wyoming? It seems like either route will take about the same amount of time, but I would appreciate your input as to which may be an easier pull and better roads.
Old Jan 22nd, 2011, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't any experience crossing the mountains other than I-80 and I-70 of the two I-80 is much easier which would be southern Wyoming. The mountains in that area are not nearly as rugged. The wind can be a problem sometimes on I-80 in Wyoming because it is wide open so that would be a consideration with a trailer.
Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 08:57 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
A bit out of the way but probably safer route would be US 81 South through Yankton to Columbus, Nebraska then US 30 West to Grand Island then get on I-80 West. Maybe stop in North Platte or Sidney for the night. Crossing the Continental Divide on I-80 is safer than going through Rapid City/Mt. Rushmore.
There is a Rest Area at the Divide between Cheyenne and Laramie. Stop and see the bust of Abraham Lincoln at the highest elevation rest area in the US. There is also a rest area in Utah close to the split of I-80 and I-84.
If you have the need to stop for a second night, Ogden is a good choice. Pay attention to the weather and hole up for a day or two if you need to.
Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 09:05 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Forgot to mention-very important- Make sure the tongue weight of your trailer is in the 10 to 15% range. Loaded weight of trailer times .1 to .15. A trailer with too much heavy stuff in the back will always be risky.