Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Car Rental - Credit Card Insur Coverage (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/car-rental-credit-card-insur-coverage-435865/)

mlarson May 26th, 2004 12:32 PM

Car Rental - Credit Card Insur Coverage

FYI - I called my credit card company and they referred me to Mastercard direct (1-800-MC-ASSIST). I called to verify that I am covered while renting a car by my credit card company. They said yes, as long as I use card for reservation deposit and actual payment of the rental car. It DOES include "Loss of Use" insurance coverage as well. I understand not all credit card companies do, so be sure to check it out PRIOR to renting. I am also having them mail the insurance coverage info to me so I can show the rental car company if need be. One important factor I also wanted to point out. You must DECLINE their collision insurance in order for your credit card insur to be used.

circa May 26th, 2004 01:22 PM

Good job.

Did they indicate wheather the coverage was "primary", or "secondary"?

circa May 26th, 2004 02:23 PM

mlarson.....I'm back!

I too called 1-800 MC ASSIST. and asked specific questions. Here are the answers I received:

1. Is the rental car insurance coverage benefit mastercard offers "primary" or "secondary" coverage.
ANSWER: "secondary"

2. Is this coverage for collision only, or does it cover liability.
ANSWER: collision only. No liability coverage.

I really admire your interest in this subject. Most people are so mis-informed and really don't know what their exact coverage is when renting a car. They find out quickly when something happens and there is a loss.

Several other items of interest to consider. (these are general ideas, but are memtioned as a word of caution)
1. The loss to the rental car is "due" at the time you return the car.
2. The renter is responsible to file any claims with their insurer for reimbursement.(takes time to file claims)
3. Consider also, there may be a deductible....which you will have to absorb. (your personal insurer)
4. The rental car CDW coverage, covers the "loss of use"....your personal insurance carrier may not cover this expense....need to verify yoiur coverage.
5. Liability coverage: This can be covered by the car rental company (required state minimum), renters personal insurance carrier, and/or by purchasing additional coverage from the car rental company.

Ain't life grand!

halbo49 May 26th, 2004 03:18 PM

Did anyone mention SUV,s?
Last time I checked(6/2000) My AE card would not cover.

Underhill May 26th, 2004 03:39 PM

Usually your personal auto insurance will cover a rental car in the U.S.

halbo49 May 26th, 2004 03:46 PM

If you only carry liability on your personal auto then you have to buy coverage or depend on your CC for full coverage.

GloriaE May 26th, 2004 04:04 PM

I rented a car through Alamo once in Hawaii that was damaged by a hit and run driver. My Allstate Insurance covered the damage and my credit card covered the deductible on my insurance. The only charges I paid out of pocket were the "loss of use" charges that Alamo charged for the two days the car was in the shop for repairs.

mlarson May 27th, 2004 06:22 AM

Credit Card company is secondary to your auto insur co. Credit card will pay your deductible, I verified this with both my credit card company and State Farm. Word of Caution, be sure to take WRITTEN PROOF of both your auto insurance coverage (State Farm for me) and Mastercard insur coverage policy. I had them mail it and email it to me. THis way, you can show proof of coverage. Also, you must DECLINE the rental car's insurance in order for your credit card insurance to be effective.
Hope this helps someone. I've been so blessed by so many other people on this message board who have shared their info.
ALOHA!!!! I leave in 2 weeks!

mikemo May 27th, 2004 06:52 AM

I saw a note in the WSJ a week or ten days ago stating all US Visa Credit Cards now provide coverage. My USAA Platinum MC does, but my Citi AA Gold MC does not.
Also, Texas licensed and insured drivers are covered by their own auto insurance policies (this varies by state).
All assume you decline the rental's additional CDW insurance.
M

beachdreams May 27th, 2004 10:55 AM

Some credit cards cover the loss of use fee that car rentals charge. I know my American Express card does because we checked in advance.