Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

car rental companies? which type of car is best?

Dec 4th, 2005, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Okay a few questions and thanks in advance for those that answer!

-Our flight gets in at 8pm... which car rental place will still be open?
-Any recommendations on the best car rental company?
-Any recommendations on what type of car is the best or if spending the extra money on a nice car is not necessary? (its just me and my future husband)
Dec 4th, 2005, 08:52 AM

Might be wise to let folks know where you want to rent this car. They are all pretty similar, just make sure you don't buy extras like additional insurance coverage, and inspect your car first (take digital photos of any scrapes or dents).
Dec 4th, 2005, 08:56 AM

I always like to rent an SUV when I go there, especially in winter. Snow is common even in early December and the hills and windy roads are well suited for 4WD.

Since the airport is tiny, I think the car rental places close at 9.

Have fun.
Dec 4th, 2005, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

Sorry about that... i'm going to Maui for a week and Oahu for a week. Flying into OGG airport and HNL airport.
Dec 4th, 2005, 02:54 PM

We also arrived late into HNL. We rented a jeep from Alamo at the airport which worked out quite fine. Since we liked the whole jeep thing on Oahu, we ended up passing on a convertible for another jeep in Maui.
Dec 4th, 2005, 03:07 PM

Maui is easy--all the rentals are by short shuttle, and the last time I rented, this summer, I got 10 days for $140 (including everything). That was a four door compact, which can take you anywhere you want to go on Maui. (And I mean everywhere!)
Dec 4th, 2005, 07:42 PM

For the last 2 trips this year at OGG we rented from National and this week got a Chevy Malibu. The mustangs and other convertables have no room for luggagew and there is the serious suburn issue.
Check around with the airline rates and the AAA.
Dec 5th, 2005, 08:37 AM

We used Thrifty and got convertibles on both Maui and Oahu this year. If we do it again, I'd still do the convertible on Maui, not on Oahu, as it's not necessary to see overhead on that island, and, as stated, the sun gets hot!8-) However, we did enjoy it the day we did the Tantalus and Round Top drive... the trees smelled wonderful (and unusual...I'd love to know the name of them)!

The convertible comes in handy when doing the Pali & Hana drives...adds alot to the trip! There was SO much to see and I didn't want to miss a thing!!

You may find some good info here:

http://www.mauihawaii.org/

http://graceba.net/

http://maui-info.com/

http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/

Belle
Dec 5th, 2005, 08:44 AM

I don't know how that second link got in there...not a Hawaiian link!

Belle
Dec 5th, 2005, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Belle... that last website is great! Thank you so much! Before this website, i was only finding cars for like $250 and this website has them for $150! You're the best!
Dec 6th, 2005, 06:49 AM

The best rental car company? Do you mean the best rate? Service?
Also, what do you mean by the best type of car?? To us, it never matters what kind of car we get. It would depend on you and what you're looking for and what you're going to use the car for. If it's just for driving around and getting you from one spot to the other, just go with the cheapest, which is usually a compact. If you like more room or you prefer to drive a bigger car, then go with the bigger ones. If you like the idea of a convertible, go with that. SUV's are good too, but they eat up a lot of gas, if you're planning to do a lot of driving around the island.
Dec 6th, 2005, 07:56 AM
Ag3046

I rented from Dollar in Maui and was not happy with them. I had reserved a larger, Chrysler 300 as I was traveling with my folks, and we had really enjoyed driving one of these on Kauai. They told me they did not have the car when I arrive, and it was obvious they were not going to give me the Chrysler 300 I saw in the parking lot. They offered me another, smaller car with free gas. It wasn't worth the scene and the aggravation to my elderly folks at the Dollar place, so I relented and went for the other car. Which was much less of a car, smaller, etc. I will NEVER rent from them again.

Dec 6th, 2005, 09:34 AM

We always use Alamo, combined with the Costco coupon they've always had the best deals during our stays. As tlbooz said, the jeeps are really fun, especially good for scenic drive and they're usually much cheaper than a convertible. There's 2 types of Jeep Wrangler though, if you get one, make sure you get the one with extra space for luggage.
Dec 7th, 2005, 03:34 PM

aliwnec10: Yeah, glad to pass it on! Gone_to Maui referred us to it earlier this year, says it's the one she uses when family/friends visit her in Maui.

Glad to 'give back'!
Just have a wonderful time!

Belle