Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Car of choice- road trip (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/car-of-choice-road-trip-882130/)

chs29445 Mar 15th, 2011 01:58 PM

Car of choice- road trip

Vegas-> GC -> Zion (No Bryce) Early April.
Being unfamiliar with this part of the country- other than the obvious pictures, desert and such- is there need for something specific as far as type of car? Considering distance and elevations wasn't sure if I'm missing some common knowledge to this road trip. Thanks.

Dayle Mar 15th, 2011 04:07 PM

chs,

No special type of car needed. Rental cars are not allowed off road anyway. Probably a bit early for a convertible.

Have fun! And go prepared for all types of weather! Spring in the 4 corners can be anything from warm and sunny, to rainy, to snow. Wide brim hat, sunscreen, lotion and lip balm. Rain layer, cold layers - hat, gloves, fleece. Shorts and teeshirts.

I live in Utah, believe me!

garyt22 Mar 15th, 2011 05:45 PM

strangely enough... we found a minivan to be the best for that trip... lots of room...coolers. luggage, great big windows... have fun

chs29445 Mar 15th, 2011 08:12 PM

Thanks, only 2 of us so probably wont go with the van. And thanks for the tips. Coming from the Southeast so heat not a problem - hope it's not too chilly. Dryness might take some adjusting as use to high humidity.
Don't wanna push that off-road mid-size too much :)

PeaceOut Mar 15th, 2011 08:18 PM

Be aware that nightime temps can get cold. Bring layers and rain gear. But any front-wheel drive car should be fine.

Ackislander Mar 16th, 2011 02:49 AM

If I had the choice, I would try to rent a Subaru wagon.

If I didn't have a choice, I would NOT rent something underpowered, i.e., cheapest or most economical on gas.

If I had a choice, I would look at the car issue of Consumer Reports and check which models have known records of brake problems.

There is a lot of up and down in that part of the country, and you want power to take you up and brakes to bring you down. Wonder how I know this?

gail Mar 16th, 2011 03:00 AM

Agree with above - make sure it can haul you and your luggage easily in elevations. Check both heat and a/c before you get too far from rental car lot (don't make the mistake we did picking a car up in Las Vegas and finding a/c and transmission were both in need of repair).

I like Bryce better than Zion - but both are great. Have a good trip.

Dayle Mar 16th, 2011 08:35 AM

chs,

Yes, it's a very dry climate. Cooler in the car is a very good idea, but they do tend to be sold out at many stores along the way. Best to pick one up in Vegas where there are more options.

Take LOTS and LOTS of water and drinks. Gatoraide is good to replace minerals. You will loose water without even realizing it and by then you are dehydrated and feeling rotten. Drink constantly. Check out Camelbacs. Another good idea is to freeze some of your water bottles (if that's what you end up using) the night before hiking. Then you have nice cold water for later in the hike.

JohnWatkins Mar 16th, 2011 11:42 AM

Just find the best deal you can, I use expedia to shop car rates, the prices fluctuate up and down all the time depending on how slow they are. All major rental companies use cars that are typically less than a year old, so you should have minimal problems

VolCrew Mar 16th, 2011 02:16 PM

For your trip planning, remember that driving restrictions begin April 1st for Zion. Depending on exactly where you want to go, you will be expected to park and ride a shuttle.

At the South Rim, a similar driving restriction to Hermit's Rest goes into effect March 1st.