Car necessary in Vegas?

Old Apr 9th, 2003, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car necessary in Vegas?

We're staying at Caesar's April 16-21. 2 adults (husband & wife). Mostly going for gambling, restaurants, shows.

I don't know if we'll need a rental car, or not. The shows we're going to are at: Luxor, Aladdin, MGM Grand, Rio, Harrah's. We'd like to take a tour of Hoover Dam and Ethel M Chocolate Factory, I undersand there are bus tours avail that incorporate those 2 destinations. Caesar's tells me they have free parking. I'd hate to pay for a rental car just to have it sit in a parking lot for most of the days.

What would you do? Thanks.
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 07:03 AM

You really won't need a car for the activities you describe. Aladdin is just across the street from Caesar's, and the rest are a short cab or bus ride away. You can take a cab or an airport shuttle bus to and from the hotel.
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 07:46 AM

Definitely not. We hired a car and drove up from Phoenix two years ago. The car stayed in the hotel lot for four days until our return. Expensive lesson!
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 08:23 AM

With traffic on Las Vegas Blvd, a car is an impediment. I've been to Vegas about a dozen times, and have never needed a rental car. Cabs are plentiful, the airport is 10 minutes from the Strip and tours exist to any nearby attractions.
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 08:25 AM

Last time I was in LV I took a cab from the airport to the hotel on a Thursday evening. WHY I don't know, but the cab line was about 1-1 1/2 hour long. The shuttle would have been faster. Just a head's up. I wouldn't get a car, myself. Its pretty easy to get around with the various connecting trams. Check out this site. I liked this one before my last trip http://www.goingtovegas.com/myvegas.htm
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 08:31 AM

I agree with what the previous posters said; however, when we visited (a 4 day trip), cars were renting for some unbelievable rate like $11.99 per day. With what we figured we would pay in cab fare to/from the airport, plus the one-day car rental we planned to use to see Hoover Dam and the Grand Canyon, it really didn't end up costing much more. Parking at the hotels is free, so there's no added cost there. Another note: valet parking is also free at many hotels--all you need to pay is the tip.

The hotels on the Strip look like they are close together, but you will be walking more than you think. I say if the cost is low enough, why not?
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 08:38 AM

We stayed for a week and took cabs whenever needed. It was an economical and convenient choice. Never once did we wish we had a car. No worries about picking up/dropping off the rental, parking, or driving directions.
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 08:43 AM

I always get a car. It ends up cheaper for me considering how much cabs are and I typically like to go to some other hotels that aren't convenient walking distance, especially when hot out. Parking is free everywhere on the strip and there are back ways into all the garages so you don't have to drive right down the strip. Keep in mind they closed down most of the trams and are installing the Vegas monorail which won't open until 2004. I've heard some complaints about the bus tours to Hoover Dam, maybe that you have to stop at a bunch of hotels to pick people up and drop them off. If you get a car, Dollar is generally cheapest in Vegas, use code 15OFF or DESLV for a discount. Last time I got a Neon for $99/wk. You can join the "Fastlane" program for free and there's no counter wait - you just pick any car you want and head for the exit.
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 09:12 AM

Renting a car in Vegas is cheap. But if you're going to drive from hotel to hotel it's faster to walk! It's only necessary to have one if you want to head out of town.