Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Car hire and route planning help: Boston to New York with overnight stop

Old Jan 15th, 2005, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We (2 adults and children aged 10 and 7) will be leaving Boston (Marriott Long Wharf) early afternoon on Easter monday March 28th to drive 'the scenic route' to New York with an overnight stop. We hope to check in to our New York hotel late afternoon the following day. We are first time visitors to New York and Boston from the UK and have decided to drive between the cities to get a glimpse of the NE region.
Firstly, any tips on one way car hire for this 24hr+ period? We, and our luggage, need to get from hotel to pick up point in Boston and drop off point to hotel in NYC (located 16E 32nd St near the Empire State Building).
Secondly, what route would you take and where would you stop overnight? Newport or Mystic maybe or elsewhere? Have we time to get further east towards the Cape Cod? Any suggestions as to what might interest our children en route. Thank you for your help and insight.
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 02:35 PM

Hi Hedgehog,
I live in Boston and grew up in NY, so I've done the drive many times! Your two choices for an overnight stay are good ones--Mystic, CT and Newport, RI are lovely places. I think Mystic might have more kid-centered activities, like an aquarium and some waterfront shops, whereas Newport is really quaint and has awesome mansions you can tour and a nice seaside walk, but those things might not be as entertaining for kids. However, if you do go to Newport, there's one mansion you can tour (I think it's called the Breakers, but I'm not positive) where the tour guides dress and act like servants from the 1800s. I went on that tour with my husband and saw lots of families whose kids seem to enjoy it.

If you're going to stop at either of those places, I think taking Route 95 (a major highway) all the way from Boston to NY is your best bet. That said, no route I've found between Boston and New York is exactly scenic, except in the fall when the trees have pretty colors. But it's a pleasant enough drive.

You might have time to stop at a place on the Western Cape, like Plymouth for lunch or something. You can see the famous rock while you're there, and of course the ocean, but I don't remember anything else of particular note there.

As for car rental, I'd just go through Orbitz.com and then double check on the individual companies' web site (Enterprise rental car, Hertz, etc) to see if you can get a better deal through them. I don't think 1-way rental is much of a problem, though you might get charged an additional fee.
Have fun!
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 02:59 PM

Are you sure you want to deal with the horrendous traffic and driving into New York City? How about taking a train -- you can enjoy the scenery.

www.amtrak.com

Old Jan 15th, 2005, 03:23 PM

With 2 kids the car is the cheaper option especially as you want to stop off enroute. You're not driving in rush hour by stopping overnight so it shouldn't be too bad!

We like Providence, RI. It's not touristy like Newport, has a children's museum and there's a zoo nearby ( but the zoo inside Central Park, NY is much better!). Also I recommend the restaurant India if you like Indian food.
The river has braziers in the middle and if you happen to be there when these are lit it adds a lot to the atmosphere of the city (I think it's only on certain weekends though).

Bride 2004's suggests Plymouth and if your kids like history there's a replica of the Mayflower there that they can tour or just let them run around on a beach for an hour...pack a frisbee or a kite for entertainment
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 05:02 PM

With two little kids I would stop at Mystic - a nifty aquarium and a large seaport marine village with old sailling boat(s) - not sure how many they have at the moment - they can explore.

Although you are going into the city in the afternoon - against traffic - there can still be quite a bit. If you want to arrive at the hotel by 4 pm I would leave Mystic after an early lunch (no later than 1pm or so).
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 05:58 PM

I'd suggest heading west to Sturbridge Village and staying there overnight. Sturbridge is great for kids, lots to see there and there are quite a few good restaurants in the area. Sturbridge also has a website for more information. It would be a lovely ride through Massachusetts on the Mass Pike and from there you drive south through CT to NY to NYC.

There is a WONDERFUL aquarium very close to the Marriott Long Warf so don't miss it. Also the Museum of Science is not far away either, so both are highly recommemded for kids. Staying there you are also in the midst of all the historic buildings in Boston, and you may find the Freedom Trail fun for all, and stop at Fanuiel Hall for some food, like Durgin Park.

Have a great time and welcome to NYC, let us know if you have any other questions.
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 06:14 PM

The Breakers is not the mansion where the tour guides dress as servants. I believe that's Beechwood.

Our kids, 17 and 13 at the time, enjoyed Newport. But I'd have to agree with the previous posters that, at the ages of your kids, they'd probably enjoy Mystic much more.
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 06:14 PM

I second wantsumecin's advice about Boston's Children's and Science Museums--they truly are fun for adults and kids! Going to the top of the Prudential buidling (similar to, though smaller and less crowded than, the Empire State Building in NYC) is also a fun activity--it gives you a great view of the city and I think there's an audio tour you can rent that tells you what you're looking out at all around the panoramic view.
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 06:22 PM

If you're able to, I'd highly recommend stopping at Plimoth Plantation just outside of Plymouth, Massachusetts (about half an hour south of Boston). You can visit their website at Plimothplantation.com. It's really an amazing experience. I suspect your children would really enjoy it. But allow yourself at least a couple of hours there.
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 07:01 PM

Grew up outside NYC and have lived in Boston 20 years. Museum of Science, NE Aquarium, Children's museum are all great Boston attractions for young and old.
Two main routes to NYC. 1)Take I-90 west to I-84 west to I-91 south and then the Merrit Parkway. This is the most "scenic" route heading west/southwest. Sturbridge(colonial)Village and event the National Basketball Hall of Fame can be reached this way. 2)Take I-95 south all the way to NYC. This is best for Newport and Mystic (great aquarium).
Really, most attractions are in NYC and Boston and not along the way.
Have fun!
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all the replies - every one has been helpful. I guess my hope is that, by driving between the cities, we will get a taste of the region even if this is just on a 'drive through' basis. I am not under any illusion that we will have much, if any, time to 'sightsee' when we stop but I would like to take in as much as possible by way of the most scenic route. I do want to book a hotel somewhere for one night so I'll take a look at the map and check out the routes that have been suggested.

I am also hoping that we will be able to find a car hire drop off point on the outskirts of NYC in order to avoid driving too far into the city. From there we can make our way by train and/or taxi to our hotel as we obviously do not plan to use a car during our five night stay. I really need to acquire a good map of New York and research where the car hire companies have drop off points in order to ascertain how viable this plan is! Thanks again. Any other suggestions welcome.
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 10:26 AM
yk

hedgehog-

Since you'll be visiting from the UK, I would strongly recommend AGAINST driving into NYC. Having to drive on the "wrong" side of the road and maneuver Manhattan traffic - trust me, it really is something you don't want to do.
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 10:41 AM

Actually, driving by highway and into NYC, they'll mostly be on divided roads or one-way streets!
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 11:59 AM

The logical place to drop the car if you're determined to do that is one of the airports. There's train service now from JFK (as well as buses and taxis). La Guardia is even closer to the city but from there, a taxi is really the best way for 4 to travel and may be a tight fit.

I personally wouldn't bother to do this. If you've got the courage to do the drive, get yourselves into the city comfortably in the car, rather than dragging kids and cases on a train. According to the yellow pages

http://www.citidex.com/1541.htm

Hertz has a location at 150 east 24 st and National Car Rental has one at 142 east 31 st.

Don't forget you got lots of useful info about this trip on your earlier posts from last year.
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

Thank you again mclaurie, that car hire firm link is really useful. As first time visitors it's hard for us to judge the feasibility of driving through the city to East 32nd St without getting unbearably lost or simply grounded in traffic. I haven't forgotten all the information that I acquired last year I am just trying to build upon it now that I have hotel bookings and firm dates in place. I really do appreciate the time you and everyone else has taken to assist me. Kind regards.
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 07:23 PM

My suggestion: Leave from Boston/stop & overnight at Mystic/Drive to NY. Forget all other suggestions: Cape - too far off your path; Providence - who cares about such a small city between Boston & New York; Newport - not for kids.
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 07:50 PM

The last time we did just what you're doing, we drove down from Boston first to friends on Buzzards Bay facing Cape Cod, but then stopped at Newport -- which I'd rate above Mystic if you can only do one. But we drove directly to Laguardia Airport to drop off the car and took a taxi into the city. Since we were arriving late afternoon, we were glad we did. It is easy to find your way to Laguardia coming from the north.
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 05:55 AM

I know there was already a big debate about your driving or not and you've obviously decided to drive, but end of March is not, IMO, a great time of year to see either Mystic or Newport. You can also wind up with a snowfall at that time of year which may make driving rather unpleasant. I would make sure the car rental is cancelleable.

As to route if you do drive, I think Wantsomesun's (and gambs' number 1) suggestion of scenic route to Sturbridge makes most sense and then down through Ct. The I 95 route is really boring, unattractive, can be heavily trafficked and I promise, you'd be better taking the train or bus than doing that.

As to the driving into the city issue, you should look at a street map. Most of midtown Manhattan of which your hotel is a part is a square grid with mostly one way streets. It's nothing like driving in London and cars don't move too quickly. You would take the Queens midtown tunnel into the city and the hotel is not that far from where you'd enter. The National Car rental location sounds like it would be a block or two away max. Ofcourse, if their prices are not competitive, that's not a reason to use them.

Here's a URL

http://p070.ezboard.com/fpricelinean...abiddingfrm208

that will lead you to a page with lots of useful car rental info including a link to discount codes you might try.
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 07:46 AM

Hi hedgehog
We're Brits and I'm pretty sure you've been here before and driven on the right so stick to your guns and drive into NYC. It's cheaper than dropping off the car at the airport and getting in from there.
We live in Massachusetts, not far from Boston and have done the trip several times. Get a good map and expect NYC drivers to cut you up (even when everyone is just crawling along.)..just like in London or on the M25!

We were disappointed by Mystic and if you do the aquarium in Boston this might be overkill even for fish lovers!

Sturbridge Village is a good suggestion (the staff dress up in period costume and try to stay 'in role' to answer questions).
I sense part of the fun of travel for you is the journey and driving from Boston to NYC will be fun!

Oh, yes the Cape is a little out of the way and will mean a more boring route overall but it's quintessential New England and lovely. If you skip it this time come back!!
I'll keep my fingers crossed for the weather for you!