Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Captiva Island Hotels,Dining & More (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/captiva-island-hotels-dining-and-more-78463/)

xxxxx Jul 6th, 2000 06:35 AM

Captiva Island Hotels,Dining & More

Planning a trip to Captiva. Would like suggestions on where to stay,where to eat,beaches,and what to do?Thanks!

xxxxx Jul 6th, 2000 02:44 PM

Anybody?

Lori Jul 6th, 2000 03:00 PM

Check out sanibel-captiva.com. It's their Chamber of Commerce site and there are lots of places listed there, both for lodging and dining. Also check out propertiesinparadise.com. They're a booking agency, but the site has a lot of photos of different sorts of accomodations. <BR> <BR>We loved The Bubble Room on Captiva. We went at lunch and they had a small menu at that time, but the desserts were still huge and awesome. I've heard that dinner is pretty expensive. The Mucky Duck is on Captiva, too. We liked Matzaluna's on Sanibel for Italian. Wherever you eat, try a grouper sandwich. <BR> <BR>Beachwise, we hung out at our resort.

Debi Jul 7th, 2000 09:50 AM

Let me preface my comment by saying that it was about 5/6 years ago that I was there, and it could be better now. That being said, I stayed at the South Seas Plantation on Captiva because I had heard it was wonderful. It wasn't. It badly needed renovation (I would assume/hope that this has been done since then), there were raccoons wondering throughout the complex - and they were not shy - and quite large. It was a bit disturbing to see 4 raccoons hanging around on the steps of some of the buildings. They seemed just a bit too human.....and they didn't back off, so we gave them wide berth. Considering the price - which was very high - I thought it was not worth it and I felt I would have been better off staying on Sannibel where there were alot more options. But again, I would hope they would have fixed these issues by now...............

LHH Jul 13th, 2000 05:34 PM

The restaurants on Captiva are wonderful. You can get links to many restaurants at www.captivavacation.com. This site also has beautiful private home rentals available.

Susan Jul 13th, 2000 05:54 PM

It's been about 7 years since we were there, but eating at "Bud's Any Fish You Wish" on Sanibel is still one of the most memorable parts of our week-long vacation. It's a brightly-painted family kind of restaurant with great, fresh <BR>fish and very reasonable prices. <BR>Have fun!

Cathy Jul 13th, 2000 07:01 PM

Right in Captiva is a nice selection of restaurants, and though they are not world class, they have respectably good food. But do be prepared for the prices-a basic meal for two people salads, pasta and cheapest bottle of wine can cost $80- 90.00!

scram Jul 14th, 2000 04:12 AM

Larry Larry Larry! There you go again, trying to push your house. Guess it hasn't rented yet and you need to drum up business. Remember the rules here. NO ADVERTISING

alice Jul 14th, 2000 04:18 AM

We love a bike ride with a stop at Cheesburger Cheesburger. The burgers are great, the fries are fantastic and the root beer is unbelievable.

Arleen Jul 15th, 2000 06:40 AM

If you like neon signs, high rises, and late-night parties, this is not the place! Much of Captiva and Sanibel is set aside as wildlife and nature areas,so don't be upset if you see beautiful birds and animals. There are plenty of things to see and do-plays, art,beaches,boat trips,great seafood. Try the Sunnyday guide site at www.sunnydayguide.com for information. In my opinion the best time to come is Nov., Dec.(accomidations are a little cheaper).Don't miss the Edison-Ford house in Ft Myers or grapefruit league baseball in March if you are a bb fan