Utah this weekend- are we crazy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8th, 2012, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are flying out to Vegas on Saturday, from storm ravaged NJ, to what seems like right into another storm!

We have reservations on Saturday night at Bryce Canyon Lodge. Next day driving scenic route 12 to Boulder, Utah.

I've been watching the weather and looks like most of it will be gone by the time we get there or at least by Sunday. By gone I mean the snowfall, what will be left is high winds and bitter cold.

I spoke to the owner of Boulder Mountain Lodge, where we are staying and she said that the roads should be okay to travel in that Utah is very good about snow removal. And she said that going into Bryce just take it careful and slow.

At this point it is probably too late to cancel Bryce or Boulder Mountain and head in a different direction.

We will be driving a Ford Escape SUV.

Just wondering what others, with experience in that area think.

Thanks,
KathyH
Old Nov 8th, 2012, 10:56 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
SUV-4WD? Do you have experience driving a 4WD vehicle?
Drive only in daylight hours and as little as possible when it is snowing.
Two years ago my DW and I were in southern Utah during the first week of November and the weather was beautiful (60's).
I do remember seeing a picture of the "Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas" sign with an inch of snow on it.
Pack your gloves and maybe some snow boots.
Old Nov 8th, 2012, 11:31 AM

According to weather.gov, snow is likely on Saturday (80%) for Bryce Canyon with accumulations of 1-2 inches during the day, and less than an inch that night. Wind isn't bad (8-10mph) but it's supposed to get down to 3 above that night.

Sunday is 20-30% chance of snow showers, partly sunny, highs in the lower 30s.

From what I'm seeing, the high winds are on Friday so that's good because you wouldn't want to drive in that kind of wind if it was snowing.

It all depends on your comfort level with snow and cold and driving. But if it were me coming from the crappy weather you've been having, I might be inclined to head to Death Valley for 2 days where it is supposed to be sunny, dry with highs in the mid-60s and lows in the lower 40s.

It's up to you what you want, some nice weather or push through the cold/snow to see Bryce and make that drive. But for sure, drive during daylight hours and take appropriate precautions, I'm sure you have dealt with driving in snow before in New Jersey so you know what you're doing.
Old Nov 8th, 2012, 04:30 PM

I don't think the snow is going to be a big deal - only 1-2" on Saturday and nothing much on Sunday. Your drive to Boulder should be fine - only a slight chance of snow. It'll be cold, but the drive is so spectacular you won't mind at all. And, being from NJ, you've driven in snow. Seeing Bryce Canyon with a light snow covering will be an amazing experience! Well worth the effort and chill.

The hottub at Boulder Mtn Lodge should be steamy and awesome! We've stayed there several times but all of our trips have been in late Aug/Sept. We were just there in Sept,and it was wonderful, as always.

Have a delicious dinner on site at Hell's Backbone Grill - it's wonderful!

Not sure how many days you have, but you should spend a day or two in Zion Nat'l Park too. It will be warmer there, it's incredibly gorgeous and it's so close to Bryce, it just shouldn't be missed.

I'm jealous - you are going to have a great trip! Enjoy!
Old Nov 8th, 2012, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies. We live in NJ so are experienced with driving in snow and ice. But just because we have experience doesn't mean we enjoy it.

Plus I think I'm just on edge with all that is going on here. I have family and friends going on 11 days now with no power. And it's getting cold. We were without power for a week so was hard to get that last minute vacation planning done.

Anyway, your mails made me feel better. That and the fact that the weather is changing and won't be too bad when we are there.

We have dinner reservations at Hell's Backbone Grill, looking forward to it. Reason we are going to Boulder is a I saw a program on scenic route 12 on the TV show Motion. Decided to take a day exploring part of it out to Boulder and back.

We are staying for 2 nights in Zion National Park after Boulder. From what I've read Zion is a can't miss.

Also looking forward to touring Best Friends Animal Sanctuary and doing a bit of volunteer work there one afternoon.

From what I've read, Utah is amazing.
KathyH
Old Nov 9th, 2012, 02:32 AM
Original Poster

I just reread my email and wanted to say that even though we lost power and my sister still doesn't have it, that is nothing. We still have our homes for which I am very grateful. There are thousands in NJ and NY who lost their homes, and many who lost their lives, and my heart and prayers go out to them.

It makes me feel bad planning for and going on a trip when so many others are suffering.

I just pray that they can get their homes and lives restored quickly.

The number of people sending donations and coming out to help those in need restores my faith in the basically good.

I will just feel a teeny bit better if my sister gets her power back before I leave tomorrow. That is the older sister in me speaking.

Thanks,
KathyH
Old Nov 9th, 2012, 06:29 AM

KathyH,

I hope you have a good trip and the weather improves for you! It's been raining, lightning, and now snowing in Park City most of the night. Snow level is dropping and storm front is heading to the southern part of the state this morning.

Bring your WARM clothes - layers, hats, gloves.

Have fun
Old Nov 9th, 2012, 04:09 PM

Snow on the Hoodoos should look really cool. You'll be some of the few people there to see the spectacle. Have fun!! Sounds great to me.
Old Nov 9th, 2012, 04:20 PM

Spiro,
I got to see Arches in the snow a couple years ago. Saturday was tee shirt weather. Saturday night a wild storm moved in and the temps dropped. Snowed about 4 inches, wet snow. It was beautiful to see the Arches in snow, and even more amazing to hear the sound of running water throughout the park! Little waterfalls all over the slickrock. No people!

A real treat!
Old Nov 9th, 2012, 04:25 PM

I'm envious! I love Bryce in the snow. With only a couple of inches I bet the drive will be no problem. They keep those roads clear in the winter. You'll have a great time, and that hot tub at Boulder Mountain Lodge sounds enticing. Have fun!
Old Nov 9th, 2012, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

I've made sure that my camera batteries are charged and ready to go. I'm sure it will be beautiful and cold too but I don't mind, I'll just dress for it.

Thanks everyone for your help.
KathyH
Old Nov 14th, 2012, 06:32 PM

So Kathy how did your trip go? Ihope you can take a minute to check back in with us!
Old Nov 15th, 2012, 02:33 PM

Also looking forward to hearing about Kathy's trip. She may not have returned yet. Or else she's busy planning a longer trip out there now that she's hooked.....