Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Capital One Miles Card--Anyone have experience w/it? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/capital-one-miles-card-anyone-have-experience-w-it-547220/)

socialworker Jul 27th, 2005 08:37 AM

Capital One Miles Card--Anyone have experience w/it?

HI--everyone knows how impossible it often is to try to actually use your FF miles--when you actually want/need to use them--on the various airlines. Now we get a solicitation for a Capital One card that claims to have no seat restrictions. Can this be accurate? Can anyone who has had a good or bad experience, please let me know. It has been a royal pain w/both the Delta and AA FF programs. It does not seem logical to me that they would give preference, so to speak, to a CC company over their own FF'ers!!

Brian_in_Charlotte Jul 27th, 2005 08:59 AM

Have used it with no problems. They don't care what airline you fly and there's no restrictions because the amount of "miles" you need is completely dependent on the cost of the ticket. They are simply buying a ticket from the airlines, so as long as a seat is available, and you have enough "miles" to cover the price, it's yours.

The nicest thing about this is that you can choose your exact itinerary, including what airline you fly and you earn FF miles on the flight from the airline.

Last I checked, each "mile" is worth about 1.2 cents in ticket purchasing power, so you have to decide if this the best deal available for you out there.

socialworker Jul 27th, 2005 09:24 AM

Thanks, Brian--that clears it up a lot!!

JackOneill Jul 27th, 2005 09:29 AM

I don't mean to step on socialworker's post but I juct had this thought the other day and meant to post: Does anyone know how it works if you have, say, 20,000 miles with Capital One and 40,000 miles with American Express. Can you "move" them to Delta, for instance, to purchase a ticket? (I know you can move miles from AMEX because I've done it. I don't know about Capital One.) Thanks.

lvk Jul 27th, 2005 09:38 AM

I've used my CapOne card miles several times for domestic coach flights for both myself and family. It honestly was as easy as making one phone call and receiving a confirmation code and website where you could print out your itinerary.

I'm not sure that you can use the miles for 1st or business class, though.

We use AMEX and a United Mileage Plus card for large purchases for our business, and rack up miles pretty quickly. It is an almighty hassle to use these when we need them.

John Jul 27th, 2005 09:47 AM

I've had a capital one card for a number of years and have used it often both on donestic flights and most recently to eastern Europe. No hassle, no blackout dates, any airline etc.
I use it for ALL purchases even down to a $3.00 purchase at Wally World!

Little_Man Jul 27th, 2005 10:33 AM

I like it too, very easy to redeem miles.

jet519 Jul 27th, 2005 10:53 AM

I use my Milesone card for almost all credit card purchases and have bought quite a few flights with it. With the recent changes they made to how you can use it, it is hard to beat. I book my own flight any way I want, Orbitz, hotwire, priceline, or any airline, etc., then after it posts to the Capitol one credit card, I just call and tell them to apply my milesone points to that flight. If you want to figure out how many miles you are going to be using based on the price of the flight, just take the price times 80. So if you get a flight for say $300 then you are using 24,000 miles. I rarely pay that much for a flight if I can help it because I always watch and wait for a good price. but even if you do, if your are flying out of your area of the country, say midwest to east or west coast, you are still using only 24,000 for a $300 flight. I have usually only had to use 20,000 of my points to go from St. Louis to California or Florida because I find a flight around 250.

Patty Jul 27th, 2005 11:46 AM

You can't move the Capital One miles to any frequent flyer program because they aren't really 'miles'. They've chosen to market the card as a 'mileage' earning card because most consumers are familiar with the concept of frequent flyer miles. A more accurate description of the Capital One card is that it's really a rebate card. As Brian_in_Charlotte has described, the amount of 'miles' necessary for redemption is totally dependent on the cost of the purchased ticket multiplied by a certain factor. The multiplier used depends on the solicitation you receive. So a $250 ticket would cost 20,000 'miles' if you have a card with a 80 multiplier or 25,000 if you have a 100 multiplier. From what I understand, you simply purchase your ticket and Capital One credits you with the cost and deducts the appropriate 'mileage' from your balance. These are not frequent flyer award tickets but rather revenue tickets.

I prefer to stick with traditional single airline affinity cards or programs like Amex Membership Rewards or Starwood Preferred Guest where it's possible to combine the miles earned from purchases with miles earned from flying and other sources. I also prefer to redeem my miles for international business class tickets, so it would take a very long time for me to accrue enough Capital One 'miles' for a ticket if using a cost multiplier factor (that is if you can redeem business class at all).

However, I understand that for some people cards such as these are a better alternative than traditional affinity cards.

Patty Jul 27th, 2005 11:56 AM

I'd also look into a cash rebate card as an alternative. With a 100 multiplier, you're essentially getting a 1% rebate and with an 80 multiplier, 1.25%. If you can find a straight cash rebate card that offers a higher percentage (or even the same percentage), then I think you're better off as you can spend a cash rebate check on anything you want and aren't restricted to certain purchases like airline tickets.

Brian_in_Charlotte Jul 27th, 2005 12:05 PM

That's a good point Patty. I do use a cash rebates Amex card for most of our purchases. With bonuses for grocery stores, gas stations and home depot, we end up getting somewhere north of 1% cash back. And I do value cash more than free airline tickets.

I use the Capital One Visa for those rare occasions where Amex isn't accepted.

JackOneill Jul 27th, 2005 12:09 PM

Thanks, Patty. You did a much better job of explaing the Capital One miles cars better than the Capital One website. I think I'll stick with AMEX. It seems so much . . . simpler.

socialworker Jul 27th, 2005 12:35 PM

Same for me, I will stick w/the cards I have--I was considering signing up for the Cap One card, but now--thanks to all the knowledge on this board--I see that there is really no advantage in it. Thanks! :)

REITdude Oct 26th, 2005 06:21 PM

I contacted Capital One today and forced the phone rep read me the legalese. It said the multiplier was 125! He attempted to justify it by reminding me that I could earn 2 miles per $1 on travel/entertainment. That makes the program confusing and somewhat misleading. I've been using Chase Travel Plus for years, and with the exception of the rotten 21 day advanced purchase, it's been pretty good.

tuckerdc Oct 26th, 2005 08:47 PM

So....without an advanced math degree,we're all..basically....clueless?

What an informative thread - esp for those, like moi, who thought they had a pretty good deal going....

Who knew????

Marilyn Oct 26th, 2005 08:54 PM

We wanted a Capital One card to use in Europe because they are one of the few cc companies NOT adding an extra percentage onto foreign transactions.

We received many offers from them, all slightly different, and ended up getting two cards. Besides the factors (which Patty explained so well above) of how many miles you get per dollar spent and what the multiplier is, it turns out they have another way of limiting your rewards.

Our first card was 1 mile per dollar with a multiplier of 80. Our second card was 2 miles per dollar with a multiplier of 125. Of course, the second card is a better deal, so we planned to use it for everything. Here's the catch: the first card has a $30,000 credit limit on it, but the second card has a <b>$5000</b> credit limit.

Yes, I phoned and tried to get that limit raised, or even switched for the other card, but no go. I finally figured out that was their sneaky way of limiting my mileage rewards.

Left a very bad taste in my mouth, I must say.

Brian_in_Charlotte Oct 27th, 2005 09:41 AM

I got a notice a month or so ago stating a change in the terms (mulitplier, how much is earned per dollar charged). It seemed a bit worse, but largely a wash.

Point is, you can't use the numbers in the older posts above anymore as they've changed the program.

Jocelyn_P Oct 27th, 2005 09:54 AM

Brian, we got that same notice, but because of the way we use our card it's a huge blow to us. What irritates me most is they are not upfront with all the new rules, either in the mailing or on their website. We've been loyal customers of Capital One for 10+ years but I'm really irritated. I understand they're in this to make money so I can see why they changed the rules, but geez, don't be so sneaky about it.

MikePinTucson Oct 27th, 2005 03:01 PM

Excuse me, jocelyn,

I don't understand how it could be a &quot;blow&quot; to you. The rules change basically is that, instead of earning 1 point(or mile) for each dollar you spend (as it has been), now you will earn 1.25 points (miles) per dollar spent. That is better than before, not worse.

I also like the fact that there is no foreign currency charge, which other companies use to really rip you off. I have used my capitalone, as another person said, by booking through Orbitz and then calling capitalone to have my points applied to my ticket purchase. Doing it this way, you could buy your tickets the day before the flight and use your points to pay for it. Very convenient for me.

Jocelyn_P Oct 27th, 2005 03:55 PM

Actually, the program that we had through Capital One allowed us to buy a ticket to Europe, up to $1000 in value, for 65,000 points. For that same $1000 ticket, we now have to use up 100,000 points. How is this better?