Cape May, NJ with a Toddler

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2010, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for suggestions on what to do with a toddler (3 years old) in Cape May, NJ - outside of the beach. Would love restaurant recommendations as well. Staying at La Mer.
Old Jun 21st, 2010, 06:15 PM

Cape May is the best for little ones -- the beach is wide, flat and gentle surf. You can jog or bike along the beach walk or promenade (rentals are abundant), go for a horse & carriage ride (my young grandchildren love horses), go to the wonderful Cape May Zoo, about 10 miles north on Rt. 9. Mini-golf might be hilarious. The Wildwood boardwalk (about 5 miles north on the GSP) offers plenty of kiddy rides for little ones -- may well be overwhelming but would entertain for half day for sure. Can also get tram rides along longer stretches of the boardwalk. We are going to Cape May mid-July with our 6 grandchildren-- ages 6, 5&5, 3, 1 and 6 months (and their parents of course). Cape May is ideal for biking overall -- just a few blocks center downtown may be too congested. Although they may be best, I'd avoid Frescos, 410 Bank St, Washington Inn and Peter Sheilds for dining as they are best enjoyed leisurely without a little one. Perhaps Henrys, Godmothers, Ugly Mug, Mad Batter, Cucina Rose, Zoes -- I'd keep it simple with a toddler in tow!
Old Jul 28th, 2011, 12:08 PM

Our boys are now 16 and 9, but we've been going to Cape May every year for at least 20 years! We love the place. For a young child (and even not-so-young!), as the previous poster, I highly recommend the Cape May County Zoo. The place is beautiful. If you want a restaurant that has delicious adult food, but also where it is not beneath them to have a child's menu, I would recommend Freda's. It is a tiny place, but we go at least once each year. (It's BYOB, too, and your little one can see the horse-drawn carriages ride by out the front window.) It is still our family favorite. Another daily idea: take a long stroller walk through all the beautiful victorian streets.

Enjoy!
Old Jul 28th, 2011, 01:01 PM

+1 on Cape May Zoo!

-john
Old Nov 13th, 2011, 04:04 PM

Some good restaurants around Cape May are The Lobster House and Menz's