Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

If You Go To Salumi in Seattle...Our annual visit.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2010, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...a few hints.

They are open Tuesday to Friday and open at 11 am.

The line starts forming early.We arrive right around 11 am and have about a 15 - 20 minute wait to get inside to order. When we waddle out an hour or so later the line can be 50 people long. This is usually on a Friday.

There is limited seating inside. Much of their business is take away. Two long tables that seat about 10 to 12 each are crammed into the back of the room. We've always found a place to sit amongst the others at the tables. There is a table in a back room that is a better place...sort out of the fray. Everyone ends up talking to each other and comparing what they ordered and offering tastes, etc. It is fun. This time a woman offered me some of her Cotto for a taste of the Porchetta!

The Montepulciano wine on the tables is VERY good. $4.50 a glass. Refills are on the honor system and you pay for them as you leave.

If you are in a party of two or more, SKIP the sandwiches (except maybe for the porchetta) and order the Salumi Platter with cheese and olives ($14.00) and the warm meat platter ($14.00). Both of these offer the best tastes of what they make. The warm meat platter has two to three huge meat balls, a generous portion of their succulent porchetta, three or four slices of a boiled sausage (cotechino?) and slices of braised lamb. It is all delicious. The Salumi Platter is piled high with a selection of most of their salamis and comes with a nice blue cheese, some mozzarella and a hard cheese I cannot name along with some olives.This time we also ordered a plate of freshly sliced culatello, a cured meat native to Parma. It was very good! Sliced french bread is abundant and useful for sopping up all those gorgeous juices left behind. We three hungry diners finished off everything, but we were stuffed.

Plan for a light dinner of perhaps a salad after a lunch like this or plan for a late dinner after you've recovered!

Highly recommended for a fun lunch in a truly unique place.
Old Jul 18th, 2010, 11:13 AM

OMG, I forgot you were up there! I would come come up with DH just to meet you two
Old Jul 18th, 2010, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

mms, it's a date for next year! Just be prepared to pig out! we return home tomorrow laden down with pancetta, salamis, pepperonis and guanciale! The plane is going to smell like a deli.
Old Jul 18th, 2010, 11:21 AM

Definitely let me know! I won't be living up there just yet, but DH is. I can always tag along

So if I hear about a riot on the plane, I will know why, lol!
Old Jul 19th, 2010, 01:04 PM

hungry now!
Old Jul 19th, 2010, 03:29 PM

And if you can't wait in line, Deluarenti's in Pike Place sells some of the Salumi's salamis and will slice however much you want for a picnic w/other Pike Place delacacies.
http://www.pikeplacemarket.org/explo...market_map#120

(They even had truffle (mushroom) powder!)
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 08:10 AM

OMG...I am so glad I found this post. I was in Seattle last January and when I got to Salumi was so dissappointed to find it closed...my fault for not paying better attention to their opening hours! This coming January I will be there again and have purposely planned to arrive on a Thursday so I can get there either Thursday or Friday afternoon.

After reading your description I am salivating!
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

One word: Porchetta.